Bicycles on Amtrak?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCL

Engineer
I’m thinking of taking the CS (coach) for a day trip and I’m not sure how feasible it would be. I have a folding bike that folds over at a hinge and I'm sure is less than Amtrak’s size for folding bikes to qualify as carry on. But it’s been a while since I’ve taken anything more than a personal item. I brought a large stroller once on the CS and a conductor directed me to leave it on the lower level where other larger carry on item were left.

My bike will stand up folded with the kickstand down. Amtrak info is vague other than folding bikes can be stored at the end storage areas, although I’d hate to have to haul mine upstairs.

I have also been wondering about taking my folding Bike Friday on Amtrak. I have the smallest size range, but I'd still hate to have to haul it up the stairs on a Superliner (EB or CS). I will be interested to hear if anyone has done this, and if so, where they stored the bike.

From Bring Your Bike on Amtrak

• Folding bicycles under the dimensions of 34" x 15" x 48" (860 x 380 x 1120 mm) will be allowed onboard all trains in lieu of a piece of baggage.
    Only certain passenger cars can accommodate folding bicycles as carry-on baggage, otherwise they must be checked.
    Only true folding bicycles (bicycles specifically designed to fold up into a compact assembly) are acceptable. Generally, these bikes have frame latches allowing the frame to be collapsed, and small wheels. Regular bikes of any size, with or without wheels, are not considered folding bikes, and may not be stored as folding bikes aboard trains.
    You must fold up your folding bicycle before boarding the train. You may store the bike only in luggage storage areas at the end of the car (or, in Superliners, on the lower level). You may not store bikes in overhead racks.
The only problem I see is Viewliner sleeper with no storage area. In that case I've snuck it ontoa nearby coach car.

I take my Brompton on the Surfliner from time to time (so essentially Superliner-style cars). Generally I've had no problems, though you might get an overzealous station agent or conductor who hasn't seen a folding bike and swears you have to check it or put it into a bike rack.

Generally speaking the conductors want you to keep it on the lower level, but I don't want to leave my bike out of sight. I will generally put mine in an IKEA Dimpa bag, haul it upstairs, store the bike in the large luggage bin on either end of the car, and sit close by so I can watch it. Hauling a Brompton upstairs is work but doable; I'm much more concerned about going down stairs.

I would not want to put a folding bike in an overhead rack.

I take my Brompton on the Surfliner from time to time (so essentially Superliner-style cars). Generally I've had no problems, though you might get an overzealous station agent or conductor who hasn't seen a folding bike and swears you have to check it or put it into a bike rack.

Generally speaking the conductors want you to keep it on the lower level, but I don't want to leave my bike out of sight. I will generally put mine in an IKEA Dimpa bag, haul it upstairs, store the bike in the large luggage bin on either end of the car, and sit close by so I can watch it. Hauling a Brompton upstairs is work but doable; I'm much more concerned about going down stairs.

I would not want to put a folding bike in an overhead rack.

I don't believe that placing a folding bike in an overhead rack is allowed.

A Brompton is possibly the most overengineered folding system I've seen in a folding bike. One definitely becomes more compact than anything else on the market.

parallax5.ashx

My Giant Expressway folding bike isn't that complex. There are something like 4 latches (including one just to adjust the height of the handlebars) but all pretty simple. This isn't exactly the same as my model, but the folding mechanism is the same. This photo doesn't show the folding pedals though.

Giant-Expressway-2-folding-bike-folded.jpg

There is a luggage section in the lower coach section on a Superliner. Often the door to that section is closed.
Normal Superliner coaches have the regular luggage rack and the lower seating area.

Coach/Baggage cars have a baggage compartment instead of the lower seating area. That is normally kept locked and is not passenger accessible, as it is the "baggage car" for the train.

I am bringinga bike with me next week stl-chi on 318. Booked business class which will probably be the trusted amfleet cafe car.

Where will the guess be I will be instructed to secure the bicycle? Somewhere back in a venture coach car?

Back