Following Anniversary Engine #184

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
184 (IV) left Chicago as a trailing unit on Train 3, the westbound Southwest Chief, this afternoon. The lead unit was 117, which, ironically, was the unit pictured for Phase IV in Amtrak's initial press release about the heritage program.

66 (II) and 156 (I) are still in Chicago and from what I've read on another board are scheduled for use on a special train this weekend. No recent word on 145 (III).

(reposted from railroadfan.com)

peter

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw one of these on the Meteor last week, but I was stumbling with my camera and misses the number and the scheme.

It was the trailing unit though. I find it odd they would want to showcase their anniversary schemes behind a current loco with current livery.

184 is heading back west again on Amtrak #5(12). Although I'm not sure how far it will go. The train has been in a service disruption after Galesburg. It was about an hour late at Agency, Iowa.

It's showing a Sericie Disruption. The Status disappeared after GBB, but I see it has gone further west. With the recent report of a Wyoming detour, spotters on the original Overland Route should be aiming to spot a rare locomotive on a rare route!

AMTK 184 returned to Chicago today on Amtrak #6(29). I caught it coming through Agency, Iowa, although as you can see, not as fast as #6 usually does.

Here are some pics I took a couple of years ago heading down into Denver.

184-1.jpg

184-2.jpg

(note: all pictures are copyrighted)

AMTK 184 is back on the California Zephyr heading west, but this time it is leading. I caught it on Amtrak #5(14) this evening at Agency, Iowa (Amtrak shows up at 1:37):

Looks like, to me, I also caught a person looking out the window of the back door on the train.

Amtrak 184 is second out on the California Zephyr that will be arriving in Chicago later today. I caught it passing through the snow of Agency, Iowa this morning running about 40 minutes late. Also, leading train #6 is engine no. 6.

I caught 184 on the Zephyr again this morning. Amtrak #6(21) was running just over an hour and a half late.

It's really hard to tell in this video, but AMTK 184 is the second engine on Amtrak #5(30). The video is out of focus up to right before the California Zephyr actually, but I really like how it looks for those couple seconds. Easier to see is the private car on the end of the train. I've read that it's a New York Central varnish, but I wish I could tell exactly which car it is.

Edit: found out on this Facebook page that it's the Hickory Creek.

AMTK 184 will be arriving in Chicago today on Amtrak #6(02). This California Zephyr was almost two hours late at Agency, Iowa.

I caught Amtrak #6(13) with 184 kicking up snow in Agency, Iowa today. It passed through at 4:41 PM. That's seven hours and twenty-three minutes late. The California Zephyr lost most of that time in Colorado. I'm guessing avalanches are to blame.

184 is heading west on Amtrak #5(15). In a bit of a change, it is leading the California Zephyr this time.

Amtrak #6(18) will be arriving in Chicago late today led by AMTK 184. There are also three private cars on the end of the California Zephyr. The train was an hour late at Agency, Iowa.

AMTK 184 is leading Amtrak #6(24) to Chicago today. It was running two hours late when I saw in southeast Iowa. Fortune smiled upon me today in a couple ways. First there was a surprise dome car on the end of the California Zephyr. Second, is I managed to catch this train twice.

Chillicothe, Iowa:

Amtrak #5(29) is being led west by AMTK 184. A P40 happens to be the second engine. This California Zephyr was about forty-five minutes late when it came through Agency, Iowa.

Back