Following the Anniversary Engines

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been reported elsewhere that #145 is on the Southwest Chief #4(7) out of Los Angeles as the second unit. Apparently the unit was involved in some incident causing damage to it and that is why it has been in LA for a while.
Thanks for the tip.

Do you mind sharing where you heard that?
Well we had a topic here IIRC talking about the accident that 145 had. So it's not surprising that they kept it in LA to fix things up.
LA was not able to repair #145. It was sent east to Chicago on #4 as a trailing unit. It will then be moved on to Beech Grove for repairs.

This sort of reminds me of another Genesis, P40 #819. It is the shortest lived locomotive in Amtrak history. Three weeks after Amtrak accepted delivery of #819, it hurtled off a bridge into the Big Bayou Canot.

It has been reported elsewhere that #145 is on the Southwest Chief #4(7) out of Los Angeles as the second unit. Apparently the unit was involved in some incident causing damage to it and that is why it has been in LA for a while.
Thanks for the tip.

Do you mind sharing where you heard that?
Well we had a topic here IIRC talking about the accident that 145 had. So it's not surprising that they kept it in LA to fix things up.
LA was not able to repair #145. It was sent east to Chicago on #4 as a trailing unit. It will then be moved on to Beech Grove for repairs.
How hard can it be to fix a pilot? How can it have made it from San Antonio to LA, leading no less, but have damage severe enough to require repairs at one of Amtrak's major service facilities?

I have heard that #145 is currently leading #30, the Capitol Limited, from Chicago to Washington. It will arrive in Washington tomorrow, March 11.

And I'm completely free tomorrow. :D Looks like I'm driving west to get some shots as she comes into DC. Thanks, Matt!!!!!!Dangit, today is the 11th. Not going to be able to get away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I noticed that. :(

The "is leading" part is what clicked for me, the 30 that arrives tomorrow hasn't left yet.
The worst part is that I work 2 blocks from the tracks, and normally could easily run out and get a picture. But I have a meeting from 12-1:30 or so. So maybe the Cap. will be late. That's my only hope. =(

How many of each paint scheme are they doing? I thought it was just one of each. Sweet deal if it's more-more chances to see them. Hopefully they stick one on the CZ soon.

Also, a baggage-in old paint-on the Hoosier? Think this is a "museum train" car?

I could be wrong on this, but this is what I understand. There will be one P42 painted in each version of Amtrak's schemes(four). 822 (P40) will be assigned with an old F40ph(that does not run) to a display train that will travel the country with several cars with displays inside.

Last edited by a moderator:
i was under the impression they were going to restore a F40 to working condition.
I have read elsewhere that it will not be running. I will, apparently, be able to lead by having the controls on board, but no engine. It may very well be a modified cabbage. Not for sure on that though.
OTOL reports it will provide HEP for the display train so I guess they are putting a generator back in it. It is #406...

http://www.on-track-on-line.com/amtkrinf-f40activ.shtml#leased

#145 is now in Washington. I managed to get out and see it go through Silver Spring, Maryland. It was leading. There were a total of 3 units on the Cap. I'll post pics tonight.

Here's the updated tracking sheet for #145.

1/30: #145 heads from Beech Grove to Chicago on #851 - the Hoosier State.

1/30-31: #145 leaves Chicago for Washington on #30 - the Capitol Limited.

2/1-2: #145 pulls the Silver Meteor from Washington to Miami.

2/3-4: #145 pulls ________ from Miami to Washington.

2/4-5: #145 leaves Washington for New Orleans on #19 - the Crescent.

???

2/9-10: #145 pulls the City of New Orleans from New Orleans to Chicago.

2/10-11: #145 pulls the Texas Eagle from Chicago to San Antonio.

212-/13: #145 pulls the Texas Eagle from San Antonio to Chicago.

???

2/16-17: #145 pulls the City of New Orleans from Chicago to New Orleans.

2/18-20: #145 pulls the Sunset Limited from New Orleans to Los Angeles.

Laid over in LA due to damage sustained in a grade crossing strike.

3/7-3/9: #145 pulls the Southwest Chief from Los Angeles to Chicago.

3/10-11: #145 pulls the Capitol Limited from Chicago to Washington.

How many of each paint scheme are they doing? I thought it was just one of each. Sweet deal if it's more-more chances to see them. Hopefully they stick one on the CZ soon.

Also, a baggage-in old paint-on the Hoosier? Think this is a "museum train" car?
The Baggage car is actually a buffer car. It's empty and the doors are welded shut...they use it between the single level and they Superliner cars when the are moving the Superliners to and from Chicago from Beech Grove. I guess you could call it a rolling museum. It never was repainted into the phase IVb

I posted 3 pictures of #145 I took as it rolled through Silver Spring, Maryland this afternoon.

5518518011_d7087f89b8_m.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back