Following the Anniversary Engines

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A gentleman from Amtrak .... Brian Gallagher gave a presentation at the ESPA Annual Meeting/NARP NY Region Meeting in Schenectady yesterday. Here is some info related to the 40th anniversary celebrations:

* 156 is in bloody nose livery. He showed a picture of it. It should be on the rails within a day or two.

* 145 now has new snow plow and engineer's side stairs, which were damaged in the grade crossing incident on the Sunset limited a week or two back.

* Museum Train will have 822 and 406 at the point. I wonder what they will do to drag it through NYP. I guess and HHP-8 or AEM-7 will get to do the honors for a short distance with the diesels off.

* NARP gets half a car on the train.

* It will have one of the converted 10-6 sleepers (I think Pacific Command but not quite sure) in it.

* The full schedule of the train will be on amtrak.com within the next two weeks.

* The train will be inaugurated on May 1 in Washington Union Station and will stay there through National Train Day. So those of us going to WAS for NTD will get to see it. We should have a mini-AU gathering in the Museum Train perhaps. At least a photo of the group would be i order, but would be heck of a job to coordinate given the long long lines that one has to trudge through to get to anything at these events.

* It will start its tour the following day heading north/east on the NEC.

I am posting a more complete report on Amtrak presented there, in a separate thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
A gentleman from Amtrak .... Brian Gallagher gave a presentation at the ESPA Annual Meeting/NARP NY Region Meeting in Schenectady yesterday. Here is some info related to the 40th anniversary celebrations:

* 156 is in bloody nose livery. He showed a picture of it. It should be on the rails within a day or two.

* 145 now has new snow plow and engineer's side stairs, which were damaged in the grade crossing incident on the Sunset limited a week or two back.

* Museum Train will have 822 and 406 at the point. I wonder what they will do to drag it through NYP. I guess and HHP-8 or AEM-7 will get to do the honors for a short distance with the diesels off.

* NARP gets half a car on the train.

* It will have one of the converted 10-6 sleepers (I think Pacific Command but not quite sure) in it.

* The full schedule of the train will be on amtrak.com within the next two weeks.

* The train will be inaugurated on May 1 in Washington Union Station and will stay there through National Train Day. So those of us going to WAS for NTD will get to see it. We should have a mini-AU gathering in the Museum Train perhaps. At least a photo of the group would be i order, but would be heck of a job to coordinate given the long long lines that one has to trudge through to get to anything at these events.

* It will start its tour the following day heading north/east on the NEC.

I am posting a more complete report on Amtrak presented there, in a separate thread.
Jis, was there anything said about if 406 will be operable?

Jis, was there anything said about if 406 will be operable?
He didn't say anything about it and no one asked. People were too busy worrying about general service and funding issues to pay attention to such details. Unfortunately, when there is a huge concern about funding of service that one depends on for everyday life, matters like whether a museum train will operate with what fades away into the background. What can I say? :eek:hboy:

Found this video with two of the Anniversary museum cars on the Hoosier State. The cars are on the back of the train, so be sure to watch the whole video.

According to A_A yahoo group, AMTK #156, the Phase I repaint, will be running from Indianapolis to Chicago on tomorrow's Hoosier State.

Also RR.net reports #145 is sitting at Bear. I know it ran down and back on the Lynchburger. I suppose it deadheaded up to Wilmington?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also RR.net reports #145 is sitting at Bear. I know it ran down and back on the Lynchburger. I suppose it deadheaded up to Wilmington?
If indeed 145 is at Bear, I have to say that it seems a bit odd to send it north to Wilmington, only to send it back south to Bear. Might as well just go straight to Bear from DC.

If indeed 145 is at Bear, I have to say that it seems a bit odd to send it north to Wilmington, only to send it back south to Bear. Might as well just go straight to Bear from DC.
I was mistaken. Report was that 145 is at the Wilmington Shops, not at Bear. My mistake.

According to A_A yahoo group, AMTK #156, the Phase I repaint, will be running from Indianapolis to Chicago on tomorrow's Hoosier State.

Here is 156 in all it's phase one glory. Found this on another board, but it was on todays Hoosier State.

http://indianarailroads.org/board/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6101.0;attach=20847;image

Here is 156 in all it's phase one glory. Found this on another board, but it was on todays Hoosier State.

http://indianarailro...ach=20847;image
I gasped out load, to myself, "Now that's just ODD looking". In my feeble mind, the old-and-the-new just don't mix. Kind of like putting AT&T's logo on an old rotary phone........

I think the oddest part is the curved dates around the word "Amtrak" I didn't realize they were supposed to be curved and thought 'The 2011 looks a weird in that photo.'

peter

Amtrak just announced on Facebook that 156 (the Phase I repro) will be leading on #30 leaving Chicago tonight (Wednesday 3/16) arriving in Washington DC tomorrow (Thursday 3/17).

I expect that tracktwentynine will make it out to grab some shots of it in Silver Spring. :)

Amtrak just announced on Facebook that 156 (the Phase I repro) will be leading on #30 leaving Chicago tonight (Wednesday 3/16) arriving in Washington DC tomorrow (Thursday 3/17).

I expect that tracktwentynine will make it out to grab some shots of it in Silver Spring. :)
You bet. Thanks for the headsup!

Where on the Facebook page do they say it's going to be on train 30 tonight?

I ask because:

1) In browsing the Facebook page for recent posts, I see no mention of it, and

2) I just saw it go by an hour ago on train 850.

It was supposed to be on 30 tonight and then in Wilmington for the station dedication (along with other refurb cars) on Saturday, but as of this afternoon there was serious concern over the Arrow logo's proportions. Apparently 156 has already been through one bad paint job and this was the second, which also was not completely accurate. If it was on 850, sounds like it did get sent back for a third repaint. 145 has been kept in and around DC in case it might be needed to pinch hit in Wilmington, so that may be the case come Saturday. We'll have to stay tuned.

Rafi

It was supposed to be on 30 tonight and then in Wilmington for the station dedication (along with other refurb cars) on Saturday, but as of this afternoon there was serious concern over the Arrow logo's proportions. Apparently 156 has already been through one bad paint job and this was the second, which also was not completely accurate. If it was on 850, sounds like it did get sent back for a third repaint. 145 has been kept in and around DC in case it might be needed to pinch hit in Wilmington, so that may be the case come Saturday. We'll have to stay tuned.

Rafi
Looks like #156 went to Indy, turned right back to Chicago and is leading #48 today. I assume it is #48(17).

Just was thinking, if we are serious about threads tracking the anniversary locos, perhaps we should have a thread for each one. Otherwise, it is going to get very muddled the more that get released.

Read some where it had to go back for a paint touch up.. An error on something?? I didn't see anything off hand on the photos/video I've seen of it so far.

Just was thinking, if we are serious about threads tracking the anniversary locos, perhaps we should have a thread for each one. Otherwise, it is going to get very muddled the more that get released.
Not a bad idea.

As it stands currently:

#145 (III) is in Wilmington

#156 (I) is leading #48(17)

I have no idea where #822 (III) is.

Not a bad idea.

As it stands currently:

#145 (III) is in Wilmington

#156 (I) is leading #48(17)

I have no idea where #822 (III) is.
Last report I heard put #822 in DC waiting for the rest of the museum train.

peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back