Following the Anniversary Engines

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PerRock

Engineer
Now that #145 is out and more are coming. I thought we should have a thread that sort of follows where they are. That way one can (fairly) easily find your closest.

Last I heard late last week 145 was on the Texas Eagle heading west. Any updates?

peter

Just an update I've received. #145 is heading out of Chicago tonight on the CNOL (58). I would assume that it'll then head out west on the sunset after that.

peter

I agree. Great idea.

Here's what I know about #145 so far:

1/30: #145 heads from Beech Grove to Chicago on #851 - the Hoosier State.

1/30-31: #145 leaves Chicago for Washington on #30 - the Capitol Limited.

2/2: Was in Florida based on pictures I found. Details?

2/4-5: #145 leaves Washington for New Orleans on #19 - the Crescent.

???

2/10-11: #145 pulls the Texas Eagle from Chicago to San Antonio.

Who can fill in the blanks?

I agree. Great idea.

Here's what I know about #145 so far:

2/2: Was in Florida based on pictures I found. Details?

???

Who can fill in the blanks?

I can't prove this, but based on pictures I've seen tracking it, it probably made a round-trip WAS-Florida after the CL, then went south on the Crescent. There's a gap between the 5th and 10th, which means it probably pulled the CONO north (unless it went back to Chigaco via the Crescent and CL again), and I know it went back north on the Eagle after the 10-11 trip south (http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=354372&nseq=2 shows it leaving SAS bound north). That still leaves a gap between when it came back to Chicago and today's southbound CONO.

Just trying to keep track. Everyone keep your eyes peeled.

2/1-2: #145 pulls the Silver Meteor from Washington to Miami.

2/3-4: #145 pulls ________ from Miami to Washington.

???

2/9-10: #145 pulls the City of New Orleans from New Orleans to Chicago.

212-/13: #145 pulls the Texas Eagle from San Antonio to Chicago.

???

2/16-17: #145 pulls the City of New Orleans from Chicago to New Orleans.

2/18-20: #145 pulls the Sunset Limited from New Orleans to Los Angeles.

???

As for the question marks, it's possible that 145 laid over for a couple of days. But it's also possible that it went out on other runs. Can anyone confirm?

OK, I'll bite. (I love these little mystery posts that come along every once and a while - for "insiders" only.)

What is #145 and why should I care? :mellow: :lol: :huh:
#145 is one of the "40th Anniversary Engines". It has a special paint job reflecting Phase III, one of Amrak's older liveries. Other locomotives will eventually come out of Beech Grove with Phase I, Phase II, and Phase IV schemes.

Here's a http://www.flickr.com/photos/singwith/5463754559/photo:

5406340684_66e96a9b2d_m.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
has anyone heard anything new about the other engines Amtrak talked about? I would have thought they would have another out by now...

peter

It has been reported elsewhere that #145 is on the Southwest Chief #4(7) out of Los Angeles as the second unit. Apparently the unit was involved in some incident causing damage to it and that is why it has been in LA for a while.

It has been reported elsewhere that #145 is on the Southwest Chief #4(7) out of Los Angeles as the second unit. Apparently the unit was involved in some incident causing damage to it and that is why it has been in LA for a while.
Thanks for the tip.

Do you mind sharing where you heard that?

Thanks for the tip.

trainorders.com and on a mailing list called All_Aboard.

Thanks for the tip.

Well we had a topic here IIRC talking about the accident that 145 had. So it's not surprising that they kept it in LA to fix things up.

I've read on another board that P40 822 had left Beech Grove and was leading the Hoosier State this morning. So far I haven't seen any pictures or videos posted. (yet)

D'oh. I forgot to go down and check for the 822 on today's #850 (I think it was supposed to go back to IND tonight).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back