Food delivered to the train—ideas?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all—sorry if this is the wrong forum for this question. I’m going to be riding the Texas Eagle to Los Angeles from Chicago this summer, and I was hoping to use the long stop in San Antonio to satisfy a fast food craving for a restaurant not available in my area (Whataburger).

The last time I rode the Eagle was in 2010, and it was somewhat easy back then: I just found a taxi driver willing to take me through the Drive-thru and tipped him like $40 for what turned out to be a short trip (I didn’t want him to lose money by taking me instead of a passenger who needed a ride to a hotel).

Things have changed a lot since then. The layover is a lot shorter than it was in 2010, but still doable. Uber and Lyft are options now, and so are services like Door Dash and GrubHub. So I’m hoping to see if any other fast food junkies might have some updated experience or recommendations for me. Will GrubHub, DoorDash, etc, even deliver to the train? Are they allowed to? And if not, could anyone share any recent experiences of getting a driver to take them into town and back, is one service better for this kind of thing than another, etc?

I know, I know: it sounds harebrained to be obsessed with a burger from a regional chain. But as a guy who likes fast food almost as much as train travel, all I can say is that when the Whataburger craving calls, you answer it. 13 years is a long time wait.

This sounds like it could be turned into a great PR event for Whataburger. (Somebody as determined as you are to have a Whataburger is the best product endorsement they could ask for.) Arrange ahead of time for them to have one of their employees deliver your order to you at station with appropriate fanfare and photo coverage. (I’m sure some employee would make the delivery for the tip you gave the taxi driver.) The publicity they would receive would make any effort on their part well worth it.

Last edited:
Hi all—sorry if this is the wrong forum for this question. I’m going to be riding the Texas Eagle to Los Angeles from Chicago this summer, and I was hoping to use the long stop in San Antonio to satisfy a fast food craving for a restaurant not available in my area (Whataburger).

The last time I rode the Eagle was in 2010, and it was somewhat easy back then: I just found a taxi driver willing to take me through the Drive-thru and tipped him like $40 for what turned out to be a short trip (I didn’t want him to lose money by taking me instead of a passenger who needed a ride to a hotel).

Things have changed a lot since then. The layover is a lot shorter than it was in 2010, but still doable. Uber and Lyft are options now, and so are services like Door Dash and GrubHub. So I’m hoping to see if any other fast food junkies might have some updated experience or recommendations for me. Will GrubHub, DoorDash, etc, even deliver to the train? Are they allowed to? And if not, could anyone share any recent experiences of getting a driver to take them into town and back, is one service better for this kind of thing than another, etc?

I know, I know: it sounds harebrained to be obsessed with a burger from a regional chain. But as a guy who likes fast food almost as much as train travel, all I can say is that when the Whataburger craving calls, you answer it. 13 years is a long time wait.
In case you forgot what one looks like

Attachments

• 12CD6F7E-635F-468E-BF78-C0359ACD8C05.png
    12CD6F7E-635F-468E-BF78-C0359ACD8C05.png
    362.1 KB · Views: 0
DoorDash is what I use (rarely) to have food deliver to my tractor trailer at shipper that are been extra painful. They seem quite surprised sometimes to be deliver to a truck in a dock or in a street. The application will allow extra instructions and you can reach out to the driver when he/she en-route by text or phone call. The deliver times can be hit or miss, but once the food is picked up it becomes very solid. Leave a big tip will help you get someone to take your delivery to you.

I really don’t see any issues with a lengthy delay at San Antonio for food deliveries. You might want to check the eta for a delivers as you approach your stop. You also may find out that your restaurant is not doing delivers at certain times. Which will cause issues.
Worse case the train leaves and you can tell the driver to enjoy your food.

Getting a Lyft/Uber. Just a reminder you left the train, the train did not leave you. That said Lyft can allow stops so you can get in one car and get your food and have the same driver take you back. I have not used this feature, so no first hand knowledge. Don’t try to eat in the car (Big period). But this might work as a back up. But again “You left the train, the train did not leave you.” So it’s all your risk to visit a physical store and your risk to make it back in time.

Things have changed a lot since then.
So has Whataburger. The company was sold, the menu has lost a lot of items, and quality has deteriorated (IMO).

I’m sure some employee would make the delivery for the tip you gave the taxi driver.
Whataburger does have a delivery option that can be accessed via the website or mobile app. Fee was usually around $10. This service used to be 24/7 but at the times the Eaglet is passing through it's disabled in my neighborhood. Maybe it's still live Downtown.

Getting a Lyft/Uber.
If you go that route you're paying for two trips instead of one. Both Uber Eats and Door Dash should work reasonably well. What I would do is head to the Staybridge Suites so the meeting location is obvious. Nobody should have a problem delivering to a hotel lobby.

So has Whataburger. The company was sold, the menu has lost a lot of items, and quality has deteriorated (IMO).
Say it ain't so! I haven't been to one since the before times and it's a guilty pleasure I was hoping to enjoy in a couple of days. There's one a few blocks from where we stay in NW Florida and I'd put it on a par with In 'N' Out.

I would double check the hours of the closest whataburger and take an Uber or lift there and tip the driver accordingly. DoorDash is a mess. I used them to deliver to work and over a two week period there were 4 issues of drivers not following instructions, the restaurant screwing up the order, or items missing from the order. Going in person ensures everything works.

I would not go much farther than 15 mini each way from the station. The other issue is that once you get off the train you may have to wait in the station until your car is switched to the sunset limited.

Say it ain't so! I haven't been to one since the before times and it's a guilty pleasure I was hoping to enjoy in a couple of days. There's one a few blocks from where we stay in NW Florida and I'd put it on a par with In 'N' Out.
It be so! That said I never thought Whataburger or In 'N' out were too amazing so take my opinion with a grain of salt. To me they both taste like a slightly improved McDonald's with slower service and longer lines. But if that's your thing go get some and tell us what you think.

Plan C is to hope to find a friendly AU buddy here who lives near San Antonio and who'll watch the Eagle's progress on ASM (Intercity Rail Map) and bring you your Whataburger.

I've done it twice for travelers on the Cap Limited passing through Pittsburgh! (Not Whataburger, but Primanti's. You know, the sandwich with the french fries in the middle.)

https://www.discovertheburgh.com/primanti-brothers/

The Whataburger at Presa and Commerce Sts. downtown is a 17 minute walk from the Amtrak station, according to Google Maps. Not sure whether one would feel comfortable on foot there at the time the Eagle is laying over for the Sunset. Personally, I would take at taxi or ride share, but then, I'd probably just suck it up and eat my Flex dinner, and then just stay in my car and try to get some sleep waiting to get connected to the Sunset.

If I really wanted to eat the kind of authentic Tex-Mex food or BBQ or chicken fried steak you can't get in Chicago, I'd just bite the bullet and schedule a layover in San Antonio to do that. There are a few decent hotels right near the Station, and it's not really all that far from the Riverwalk.

Plan C is to hope to find a friendly AU buddy here who lives near San Antonio and who'll watch the Eagle's progress on ASM (Intercity Rail Map) and bring you your Whataburger.
San Antonio may seem like a small place to some but we rank 7th in city population and 12th in area. What the OP would need is a buddy who lives near downtown. For this much effort I’d recommend a burger from Chester’s, Tycoon Flats, or Chris Madrids. Unfortunately they would be closed during the Eaglet’s calling times.

Call me chicken, but every time riding the LSL into Albany (either direction) aromatic dishes might not be for some passengers to be near, but I would love to order from an Indian Restaurant.

I thought about arranging a pick up rendezvous with one of the two or three Indian restaurants in the immediate vicinity of the Albany station.

It seems simple enough -call the restaurant, and ask if they can deliver to the Albany train station – if they do then ask for a rendezvous time, make and color of the delivery vehicle-and exchange cell numbers.

DONE. I’d order what I felt like at the time. Naan, Biryani or Lamb Vindaloo, Pakora and three chutneys. maybe even a custard. I’d prolly order hot spicy or if I order very hot or very very hot I’ll have a little rice as a moderator. Drinking water with hot food is like throwing gasoline on a fire. I use rice.

I’d prolly order hot spicy or if I order very hot or very very hot I’ll have a little rice as a moderator. Drinking water with hot food is like throwing gasoline on a fire. I use rice.
A dish of Raita is also a good cooling off agent, They usually give us some for free when we order at our favorite Indian restaurant.

DONE. I’d order what I felt like at the time. Naan, Biryani or Lamb Vindaloo, Pakora and three chutneys. maybe even a custard. I’d prolly order hot spicy or if I order very hot or very very hot I’ll have a little rice as a moderator. Drinking water with hot food is like throwing gasoline on a fire. I use rice.
If you want reeeeaallly hot, see if they do Phal which even at its base level heat, is hotter than your typical Vindaloo. I remember a bunch of us stopped by at a Nepali place near the Reading, Berks, UK station before getting on a GWR HST to London. We ordered Phal, and after eating it, figuratively speaking, our hair was standing straight up on our head all the way to London! :D

Last edited:
I fear for the condition of the toilets of that train after it arrived London . . .
There was no such issue. It was just very hot. It was a short nonstop ride at 125mph HST from Reading to London Paddington anyway. You probably know having done it at some point.

I am taking the Texas Eagle from STL to LA in September. I have a portable combo Cooler/Food Warmer. My friend will get food for me during the Fort Worth stop. I will keep it cold til San Antonio. I will then heat it and eat it without having to get off the train.

I forgot to mention it’s electric

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure why anyone would want to eat when the Texas Eagle gets into San Antonio. If you're going from Chicago to LA, the Eagle arrives in San Antonio at 9:55 PM (assuming it's on time) and departs, after being hooked up to the Sunset at 2:45 AM. This is well after most peoples' dinner time. If you're riding in sleeper, you will be getting a traditional dining service breakfast the next morning while riding through the west Texas desert. If one really wanted to have food delivered to the train, it would make more sense to see if it could be done at Taylor (5:36 PM), a town known for its Texas barbecue, or Austin (6:22 PM), which at least has an 8-minute stop scheduled, which might make a food delivery easier.

As I said before, if I were riding sleeper from Chicago to LA on this train, I'd suck it up and eat the flex food from Chicago to San Antonio, and then enjoy the traditional dining the rest of the way to LA. If I really wanted to eat Texas cuisine, I'd schedule a stopover and enjoy it at my leisure during normal meal hours when the good eateries are open.

I’m going to be riding the Texas Eagle to Los Angeles from Chicago this summer, and I was hoping to use the long stop in San Antonio to satisfy a fast food craving for a restaurant not available in my area (Whataburger).
Seem the original poster has a craving, and not a need.

A dish of Raita is also a good cooling off agent, They usually give us some for free when we order at our favorite Indian restaurant.
Thanks to both of you along with Mark for your recommendations for heat reduction while eating Indian food. Along with another favorite of mine, Thai, l’ve always tried to waterboard it.

I’ve never used door dash, etc, but I have a couple anecdotes on this topic:
—I had an Uber driver swing through the drive-thru when going from one station to the other in Stockton, CA. (Yes. There are still two train stations in Stockton). I was willing to buy him dinner but all he wanted was a chocolate shake for his troubles.
—I left Stockton on a San Joaquin and ate my food but was still thirsty heading into Martinez, where I had to change trains again. Apple Maps told me there’s a brewery a couple blocks from the station so I ran over and got a couple pints before heading to Sacramento.
—During the Canadian’s long dwell time in Winnipeg, several of us ran a block or three down the street to a local burger joint that was fantastic. This was before cell phones so there was no calling ahead. We literally ran to get there and back while the train was restocked.

I always left the train in these examples. I never had food brought to the train. I am interested in how this works out for those who try it — having food delivered to the train. It opens up lots of dining options — as long as one can find restaurants and then place orders from the train.

Call me chicken, but every time riding the LSL into Albany (either direction) aromatic dishes might not be for some passengers to be near, but I would love to order from an Indian Restaurant.

I thought about arranging a pick up rendezvous with one of the two or three Indian restaurants in the immediate vicinity of the Albany station.

It seems simple enough -call the restaurant, and ask if they can deliver to the Albany train station – if they do then ask for a rendezvous time, make and color of the delivery vehicle-and exchange cell numbers.

One of my favorite places is not too far from Buffalo Depew station but the LSL times make it impossible to order from there. I'd need an eastbound train to be 4 hours late and someone willing to wait at the station until the train gets there in order to get food from there.

Back