Food Delivery to Denver Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reefgeek

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Taking spin on the eastbound Zephyr (6) soon. With the current dining situation being what it is, has anyone had a successful food delivery to Denver Union Station by GrubHub or DoorDash etc? Any recommendations for restaurants to order from? Anyone have a misconnect?

I got a great takeout steak on from Public School 303 via one of the delivery apps, but it looks like they're closed now.

I would *not* attempt a delivery. There's lots of options nearby that you can order from as you're pulling in and pick up if you can walk quickly. If you need to venture more than a block away from the station, try using one of the Bird scooters.

If the train is running late, I wouldn't venture beyond the station itself, it'll take off without you. I had to have a buddy drive me up to Fraser-Winter Park because I missed the train chatting with him.

Last edited:
I don't know if they are open in the current situation, but there are some pretty good places to get food in the station, or very very close by. Watch the time very carefully, and be aware of how it is running. There are places you can sit down with food in the station that you bring in or get at one of the places in the station or outside. If there are heat restrictions in place enroute, it may be very late,

I got a great takeout steak on from Public School 303 via one of the delivery apps, but it looks like they're closed now.

I would *not* attempt a delivery. There's lots of options nearby that you can order from as you're pulling in and pick up if you can walk quickly. If you need to venture more than a block away from the station, try using one of the Bird scooters.

If the train is running late, I wouldn't venture beyond the station itself, it'll take off without you. I had to have a buddy drive me up to Fraser-Winter Park because I missed the train chatting with him.
Any suggestions about places to order from by the station for pickup? I've always been afraid to go beyond the waiting room!

I don't know what restaurants are doing in this environment. I normally use the Eastbound CZ after a USA Hockey Congress in Colorado Springs. They end around lunchtime, and I would drive up, return my rental, and wander the 16th st mall, with an obligatory stop at the Tattered Cover Bookstore. (not the little stand in the station, the big store) There are really nice places in the station, I would look at the website and confirm what is open. I always seem to get a train that is very late, so I never worried too much about time. But you need to be aware of time, they won't dawdle if they are late. Eastbound connections in Chicago are always at risk so I usually booked the LSL if it was important for me to get home, since it is a late departure. Other years, I've run to a CL that was held, and another time spent the night in the Swissotel, so I take it seriously. On the other hand, waiting for the Lake can be a drag,

Last edited:
One of the first rules of wondering away from the train at a station stop is that if the train is running late, it's very likely they will NOT be in the station for the 'usual' amount of time. I've seen it happen to folks several times in the past 40 years or so I've been an Amtrak passenger.

I'm also guilty of getting too far back for a good photograph and had to run 'all-out' to board the just started moving train! Fortunately, I was a lot younger then!

There are several restaurants, including a couple of quick service restaurants inside Union Station. According to Denver Union Station's website, all restaurants are open for takeout and most are also allowing dine-in customers now.

Pig Train coffee right inside the station is a great place to get coffee and pastries which in the past was all that I wanted. They do have a few breakfast sandwiches and the like that would be easy to grab quickly and take back to the train with you.

I really like them, and usually pick up a few things before heading for the Springs in the morning. The problem is, the OP is going East from Denver, not sure what they have for an evening meal. But the deli/sandwich shop right by them has pretty good stuff to carry on. A few years ago, it was running so late, they said we wouldn't get dinner, so they gave us money to buy food, and I got mine there. Some of the places aren't open that late, but if the train is on time, that won't matter.

IIRC, the train backs into the station and if on the track not closest to the station, Track 1, access to the station may only around the aft end of the train. If so, being as far back to the end of the train as possible will shorten the walk for food.

However, there are 8 tracks there and as I'm not sure which are customarily used by Amtrak it's probably best to ask a crewmember which track your train will park on. Maybe the train even pulls into the station head first on occasion. Maybe somebody here knows. I've only been there once.

Last edited:
IIRC, the train backs into the station and if on the track not closest to the station, Track 1, access to the station may only around the aft end of the train. If so, being as far back to the end of the train as possible will shorten the walk for food.

However, there are 8 tracks there and as I'm not sure which are customarily used by Amtrak it's probably best to ask a crewmember which track your train will park on. Maybe the train even pulls into the station head first on occasion. Maybe somebody here knows. I've only been there once.

That is right, the train backs into the station, it helps to be towards the back and it helps more to be among the first passengers to leave your car. Access to the station is only from behind the train, I couldn't even get to the front of the train to take a photo of the train. I don't know the Amtrak track number (5 or 6?), but track 1 is the light rail to the airport. The Conductor will announce the time that people need to be back to the train. Even if one doesn't want to buy anything, it is worth walking inside to see the architecture of the station.

I was just there a few weeks ago. Had dinner at Stoic and Genuine Seafood in the station, it was very good. It’s a little on the pricy side. There is also a deli, and pizza place Right inside that should be quick. Call ahead, run in and grab it, probably a safer bet than delivery.

They have a takeout menu listed - that’s a great idea for a nice dinner in your roomette!

There are several restaurants, including a couple of quick service restaurants inside Union Station. According to Denver Union Station's website, all restaurants are open for takeout and most are also allowing dine-in customers now.
I once dined my way through a 14 hour delay on the eastbound Zephyr by going from restaurant to restaurant. at DUS. Fun time. For dinner, I recommend Next Door American Eatery, now that they're doing takeout -- they were very good.

That is right, the train backs into the station, it helps to be towards the back and it helps more to be among the first passengers to leave your car. Access to the station is only from behind the train, I couldn't even get to the front of the train to take a photo of the train. I don't know the Amtrak track number (5 or 6?), but track 1 is the light rail to the airport. The Conductor will announce the time that people need to be back to the train. Even if one doesn't want to buy anything, it is worth walking inside to see the architecture of the station.
Amtrak is always on one of the center two tracks -- usually the more southerly (the more northerly is for Ski Train) but it can be the Ski Train track occasionally. The reason it's always on those tracks is that those are the low-platform tracks, and the other tracks have high platforms - you couldn't even exit a Superliner on the other tracks.

I chickened out and didn't order. I did a mock run into the station to see if I could have picked up food, and barely made it back. We were only there for about 15 minutes!

I chickened out and didn't order. I did a mock run into the station to see if I could have picked up food, and barely made it back. We were only there for about 15 minutes!

If the train is late, I would never leave trackside. Depending on the crew, dispatcher, etc. the dwell times can be shortened quite a bit!

Only 15 minutes? That's amazing...I used to work there, and the fastest we could ever 'turn' the train was about 35 minutes...took that long to unload, reload, refuel, water, change crew, replenish some stock, etc....heck, it took me 30 minutes just to water the train if it was 'thirsty', using one hose for every two cars. Those tanks hold 500 gallons, and the hose delivered about 20 gallons per minute...do the math...

Only 15 minutes? That's amazing...I used to work there, and the fastest we could ever 'turn' the train was about 35 minutes...took that long to unload, reload, refuel, water, change crew, replenish some stock, etc....heck, it took me 30 minutes just to water the train if it was 'thirsty', using one hose for every two cars. Those tanks hold 500 gallons, and the hose delivered about 20 gallons per minute...do the math...
I think they did the all aboard after about 15 minutes and we sat for a while longer.

I'm not sure if it's still one hose. When they redid the platform area, I think put in new water and may have added another cabinet. I remember riding out to Denver, and the Amtrak sanitary inspector was aboard checking things, and he said the focus of the trip was to test and verify the new connections at Denver, they had just moved back from the temp shed up in the direction of Coors field

I'm not sure if it's still one hose. When they redid the platform area, I think put in new water and may have added another cabinet. I remember riding out to Denver, and the Amtrak sanitary inspector was aboard checking things, and he said the focus of the trip was to test and verify the new connections at Denver, they had just moved back from the temp shed up in the direction of Coors field
If so, that would be a real time saver...
When I started there, in 1979, we didn't even have the cabinets. We had hydrants on the columns holding up the shed over Tracks 2 and 3, and I had to bring up the hose truck ( an old baggage truck with racks) with a tractor, from its storage location up the ramp, down the Track 1 platform to the crossing, and back down the service platform between Tracks 1 and 2. Then I would stop opposite each hydrant, and unload a hose, connect it to the hydrant stretching it across Track 2.

Then when the train rolled in, I would walk the length, dumping the air pressure from each car, and then put the hoses in and start watering every other car. Then, walk to the other end again, and water the alternate cars, then remove all the hoses, and repressurize the tanks.

Really had to hustle on that task. If the baggage men got done before me, they would come over to assist, and if I got done before them, I would assist them.

On occasion, the DUT Tower would call me over the speaker, and order me to remove all the hoses from Track 2, if he had to run an engine down that track....now that was a real PITA, in the middle of everything. And after the train departed, had to gather all the hoses and put them back on the truck.
It was real fun in snow and ice conditions. Some of the drain valves on the Heritage tanks came in frozen solid, and would not release the air. Had to use fusees to try to defrost them...

If so, that would be a real time saver...
When I started there, in 1979, we didn't even have the cabinets. We had hydrants on the columns holding up the shed over Tracks 2 and 3, and I had to bring up the hose truck ( an old baggage truck with racks) with a tractor, from its storage location up the ramp, down the Track 1 platform to the crossing, and back down the service platform between Tracks 1 and 2. Then I would stop opposite each hydrant, and unload a hose, connect it to the hydrant stretching it across Track 2.

Then when the train rolled in, I would walk the length, dumping the air pressure from each car, and then put the hoses in and start watering every other car. Then, walk to the other end again, and water the alternate cars, then remove all the hoses, and repressurize the tanks.

Really had to hustle on that task. If the baggage men got done before me, they would come over to assist, and if I got done before them, I would assist them.

On occasion, the DUT Tower would call me over the speaker, and order me to remove all the hoses from Track 2, if he had to run an engine down that track....now that was a real PITA, in the middle of everything. And after the train departed, had to gather all the hoses and put them back on the truck.
It was real fun in snow and ice conditions. Some of the drain valves on the Heritage tanks came in frozen solid, and would not release the air. Had to use fusees to try to defrost them...
Looks like you made a good decision when you moved on from Denver into your new career! ;)

Amtrak only uses 2 tracks now one normally, CZ , and sometimes Ski Train. Commuter rail including the one "reserved" for the one that goes to the airport use the rest, and there is passage to the adjoining light rail station, with the bus terminal below and in between. With the Crawford Hotel opening, and the total re do of the waiting area, you might not recognize it...The creepy tunnel (or as they called it "subterranean passageway" is gone, now you just walk out and go to the platforms.

Back