Food Improvements Already Starting?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer
WNBC New York blew a quick story explaining New York based Regionals will soon be offering New York themed food and booze in the Cafe cars. It did not say anything about Diner menus but I hope this is early action from President Moorman and that it will spread throughout the system; imagine getting a slice of Chicago-style Pizza and a pour of Goose Island on a Regional out of Chicago!

This was being pushed by Senator Schumer, Governor Cuomo, NYSDOT, and several local mayors. Doesn't have much to do with Moorman.

It'll be interesting to see if Moorman honors Boardmans misguided pledge to Mica about Food and Beverage Service losses, the nickel and dime service and amenity cuts, and also what he will do to help get the New Viewliners out of the damn factory and out on the tracks for the Holiday crush!

As the old Police hit from the 80s said: "..I'll be watching you.. "

Any improvement like this is positive, though I was hoping the OP was going to say how they were putting chefs back on the Lakeshore Limited, Silver Star, and/or the City of New Orleans.

It's pretty easy to tell that the Empire Builder and Capitol Limited have superior food when compared to those that I mentioned above.

What is " New York themed" food and booze, and what makes it different from Washington- themed food and booze, or Philadelphia themed food and booze or Boston-themed food and booze, or... you get the idea. This is especially true if we're talking about the cafe car.They already sell pizza. Are they going to start selling knishes? Hot pastrami sandwiches? Anyway, the cafe cars are supposed to be breaking even already, why fix something that isn't broken?

If it's Empire Service, NY has a lot to say, they subsidize the service. Picking a few products tthat are identified with a region is fine with me. Anyone remember the "Nuns of New Skete" cheesecake slices? Maybe a Finger Lakes or North Fork wine. How about an accounting and inventory system that would allow service on the NYP-ALB trains? The way it is now, too much time is spent opening and closing to have a practical service. The cars are already in the consist, let's figure something out. Those are fairly busy trains.

Last edited by a moderator:
These improvements are probably the work of the New York Department of Transportation and have nothing to do with the new presidency of Moorman. There's no way Amtrak could act that quickly. Amtrak takes forever to make any changes.

Thank goodness they're starting with the limited duration commuter services. That's where the real dining upgrades are needed. Not on the multi-state trips where captive customers are fed basic pantry food with few alternatives for days at a time. :lol:

Cuomo has been pushing NY branded products everywhere. New signs along the Long Island Expressway advertise museums, ads on the new countdown clocks on the N/Q/R Broadway corridor advertise Taste NY (wine), and renderings of Jamaica and Hicksville LIRR station rehab projects show I love NY logos everywhere.

This is just the logical next step.

Thank goodness they're starting with the limited duration commuter services. That's where the real dining upgrades are needed. Not on the multi-state trips where captive customers are fed basic pantry food with few alternatives for days at a time. :lol:
Come on now, you know better. I know the comment was made tongue-in-cheek, but whatever NY state wants to pay for, Amtrak will be more than willing to provide. If NY wants to pay for better food on the LSL, then they'll get it, until then...... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back