Food in and around PSNY

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I go, I get one slice of mushroom pizza (and no drink since I always have water with me). I pay $4.50. Up until about a year ago it was $4.00. They do not take credit cards for purchases under $10.00 and they do not sell beer, but their pizza is great.
Penny, I normally have two slices of pizza no matter where I go. I think for the first time I could have gotten away with one. But either way the price for 2 slices and a large soda for NYC is a great price!

Depending on how much time you have and how far you want to walk, Hill County has some really great BBQ at good prices. It’s one of my all time favorite restaurants https://hillcountry.com/nyc/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YES!! I so miss Hill Country BBQ in DC. Always recommend it to anyone I can.
Sent from my SM-G955U using Amtrak Forum mobile app
Thanks for the indirect suggestion. Lol!! I will say that banana pudding was amazeballs. I bought a medium and crushed it in less then 5 minutes.
default_ohmy.png
I completely forgot about the one in NYC, or only ever ordered from/eaten at the one in DC. Would typically use Uber Eats to deliver it, in fact.
And I told you the pudding was good! After I slipped off the diet...I'd end up going up there at least twice a month when passing through on 178 on Mondays. If it was a real bad day I'd order Shake Shack when in Newark, and stop at Magnolia on the way back to the train.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Amtrak Forum mobile app

For 2 slices of pepperoni and a large coke it was $11.50. Which IMO for NYC is a good price.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
Last month I ducked in a pizza place on 71st & Bway, SW corner. It was amazingly good and the place was packed all 3 x in 2 days I went back! :) $2.75 for 1 slice cheese and they take cc as well as deliver by bike even tho it was freezing cold!

I forgot the one place that I go into Penn station for lunch, Shake Shack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live in NY, so my pre-departure meal at NY Penn is always Shake Shack.
default_smile.png
When elsewhere, I always eat at a local joint.

Last edited by a moderator:
There’s a great restaurant just a block from NYP on 32nd Street. Cafe R. It’s always open; they serve everything you can think of! Italian, Japanese, Chinese, Caribbean, etc. They also have a huge takeout buffet featuring hot and cold foods. You can eat in or take out. This is also a great place to get snacks and sodas for your trip! The price is very reasonable!

http://www.cafernyc.com

There’s a great restaurant just a block from NYP on 32nd Street. Cafe R. It’s always open; they serve everything you can think of! Italian, Japanese, Chinese, Caribbean, etc. They also have a huge takeout buffet featuring hot and cold foods. You can eat in or take out. This is also a great place to get snacks and sodas for your trip! The price is very reasonable!

http://www.cafernyc.com

When I did a NYC field trip by train in 2017, we ate here. The kids loved it!

Back