Food Prices

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

monty goin

I'm going from Holdrege Ne. To Pasco Wa. In April. What are the current food and drink prices on the train

Last edited:
http://www.amtrak.co...d=1241305537990

See this page for some examples. You have the choice of dining car (sit-down meal service, more expensive) and cafe (take-out) menus.

I didn't see a downloadable cafe car menu for your train, but expect sandwiches and snacks under $10.

Last edited by a moderator:
If prices seem too steep, you can bring your own food aboard. Note that unless you are in a sleeper, private stock booze is not permitted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Junk food is a myth like Santa Claus. No way could you ever establish a boundary between it and "OK food"

What brand do the use for their Vegan Burger,MorningStar,Boca...etc? Thank you.

Junk food is a myth like Santa Claus. No way could you ever establish a boundary between it and "OK food"
Well I wouldn't call it a myth - but what it is is subjective, we each form our own opinion of what it is.

In Michael Pollan's book "In Defense of Food" he says something like "eat real food. Real food can be defined as anything your great-grandmother would have recognized as food." Most of the products available today would not fit that definition.

Sadly, most of the food served in Amtrak cafe cars does come under my definition of junk food: Anything that comes wrapped in foil or plastic and has a long list of chemicals in the ingredients is not real food, so it is junk food. To me.

I am more more of a purist than many, so I am not judging anyone's preferences. But if you want "real" food on a train, bring apples, oranges, home made sandwiches, hard boiled eggs, whatever you like. Just don't count on getting a good meal in the cafe.

No one's perfect. You'll find me in the cafe car swilling beer in the evening. ;-)

Guest said:
1331589819[/url]' post='352976']What brand do the use for their Vegan Burger,MorningStar,Boca...etc? Thank you.
Not sure, i could tell last time i had one, but I don't think Moring Star is vegan though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back