Footage of the engines and cars that derailed in the Big Bayou Canot Accident

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal

Engineer
Stumbled across this on YouTube. I don't want to say it's cool to see, but it does give us a new angle to see the wreckage.

I watched a documentary about this accident on YouTube a few years ago. I think I recall hearing that there were two engineers in the cab of the lead locomotive. One of them had the last name Hall, but I don't remember who the other one was.

Of course, the SL ran between Los Angeles and Orlando in those days, so two engineers would make sense.

I watched a documentary about this accident on YouTube a few years ago. I think I recall hearing that there were two engineers in the cab of the lead locomotive. One of them had the last name Hall, but I don't remember who the other one was.
I've heard that there was also a trainee in the cab, but not sure if it's true.
Of course, the SL ran between Los Angeles and Orlando in those days, so two engineers would make sense.
How does it having a longer end-to-end journey time make sense for them to have two engineers? I thought the rule was something along the lines of if the segment that engineers travel on are more than a certain amount of hours there has to be two? I'm not sure how the endpoints would majorly effect that midway through the route.

How does it having a longer end-to-end journey time make sense for them to have two engineers? I thought the rule was something along the lines of if the segment that engineers travel on are more than a certain amount of hours there has to be two? I'm not sure how the endpoints would majorly effect that midway through the route.
You are correct.

I often suspected that the 2 engineers were to eliminate the need for a mid-point crew base. Two engineers in NOL and 2 in JAX. Did not figure midpoint layover location. Jax - Nol 545 road miles probably ~ 620 rail miles. Pensacola seems about the point + 6 hours requiring 2 engineers each way.

The engineers probably would have been qualified some distance beyond lay over point to provide any crew going HOS so passengers not stranded.

NOL - Pensacola block time was 6 hours. Pensacola to JAX was 9.5 hours, which was getting to be borderline given unreliability of schedule.
You are correct. JAX > Crestview 7:40??- -8:00. NOL >.CRE = 9:00.. It would help what the actual qualifications? But any layover runs into one day a week not enough layover time. JAX and NOL always can break a dog catch back up at either location for layover of not enough time.

Back