For those in high school and college

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mkincaid

Train Attendant
I'm sure I'm not alone in my annoyance at Amtrak's policy of not giving normal student discounts, only discounts for those with a Student Advantage card. But recently, I found out something that might be of interest to Amtrak riders. If you go to https://studentadvantage.com/enrollment and in the "Promo Code" box enter any Amtrak ticket number at all, you can get the Student Advantage card free (not even a shipping charge). Voila! No more annoying $22.50 charge! Free student discounts on Amtrak.

Since you may not have any old Amtrak tickets saved lying around, if you log into http://amtrakguestrewards.com you can see the ticket number for any travel you took using your Guest Rewards number.

Just in case someone wanted to know...

Amfleet said:
I also get discounts on US Airways plus free dividend miles (I know you want to kill me for saying that ;) )
Amfleet,

Not at all. :) At least until we can get Amtrak to run everywhere and on-time, sometimes you just gotta resort to the plane.

However, once we achive that miracle, then you betta watch out! :D :)

Thought this might only apply to undergraduate students, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that graduate students could sign up for this too B)

My husband is getting his masters degree and he also was able to get it too - he uses the train a lot to go to LA.

Just a question, this makes how many students registered here? Including me and Anthony? A lot more than I thought at first...

I'd like to throw in an observation here...

Having "read the mail" on this site for a while, it's clear to me that you younger guys are not just railfans, but see the importance of rail now and in the future. You have offered very well thought out plans and observations. You see the importance of consistancy and customer service. Folks like you can be leaders in the future of transportation in this country.

Yup, I'm old enough to have had dinner at sunset travelling up the Hudson river on the NYC. And have rolled through miles of fields in a dome car in the midwest. While all that was neat, the most important thing I came away with was the concept of pride. Pride in doing the best job you could. Those train crews were standouts.

There are always people out there with attitude problems, and there are also those who understand what pride means. You understand the concept. You will have pride in whatever you do. Later on, as you come into a position to affect corparate policy, make sure that pride in doing the best job you can is part of your hiring and management goals.

Thanks for listening to a "Dadvice" moment! Best wishes, Mike

I too, was blown away when I found out the average age of our members. I was impressed with the knowledge, maturity and the fact that the RR was a common bond among them.

I'm 42, and could hang out on Trainorders, but I enjoy the folks here! Some of the questions and ideas are fascinating, even for me!!!

That's why I choose this board. We do discuss trains (amtrak), but tend to go off track whcih gives a nice "friendly" touch. We almost never start yacking at each other. I tried railraod.net, but everyone seemed to be rude and no one seems to post as often at Trainweb. :)

Miami Joe said:
I too, was blown away when I found out the average age of our members.
Actually Joe, I suspect that between Bill Haithcoat, Superliner Diner, NJ Mike, along with you and me we bring the average age way up. Since I'm 41, your at 42, Superliner Diner is also in our age bracket. Plus Bill and NJ Mike both have to be more than 35 to have traveled on non-Amtrak trains.

I'm 15 too... lol. Thanks a lot for the student advantage link, I just signed up with an old ticket# from the guest rewards site.

I'll say. After 6 hours of classes, any after school activities, and homework one must be pretty beat to work on a website this size. Keep up the good work Anthony and Tristan. :D

I'm 15 too, and this is the only site I post on, as everyone here is nice (with a few exceptions along the way). I try to get other people I know to join, but they never do. Oh well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back