For those of you who have gone to East Glacier

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smee

Train Attendant
I am looking at car rentals when I arrive and Avis is twice as much as Dollar. I see that Avis is right at the station and Dollar is 1/2 mile up 49. Is it a reasonable walk up 49, are there cabs? I really can't see spending $400 more just because Avis is closer.

The walk is reasonable, but then I do a lot of walking. However, I am going to East Glacier in June and arranged a rental car from Dollar, and while making arrangements over the phone, was told that a Dollar representative will meet you at the station. So no need to walk and no need to spend twice as much at Avis. I've been to East Glacier once before and used Dollar, but didn't remember them meeting me at the station before.

Last edited by a moderator:
The walk is reasonable, but then I do a lot of walking. However, I am going to East Glacier in June and arranged a rental car from Dollar, and while making arrangements over the phone, was told that a Dollar representative will meet you at the station. So no need to walk and no need to spend twice as much at Avis. I've been to East Glacier once before and used Dollar, but didn't remember them meeting me at the station before.
No cabs. East Glacier is tiny. Call Dollar.

Does the State of Montana know what a cab is?? :giggle: :giggle:

But not only is East Glacier tiny almost every town is along the EB route is, with the most having a pop of around 50,000 at most..

Last edited by a moderator:
The only reason I asked about a cab is because the town of Calais, ME has a cab. I have been going up there since I was knee high to a grasshopper and about 2 years ago is the first time I saw a cab. As of 2009 they say there are 3,158 people in the "city" of Calais, ME

Does the State of Montana know what a cab is?? :giggle: :giggle:

But not only is East Glacier tiny almost every town is along the EB route is, with the most having a pop of around 50,000 at most..
Havre, for instance, is a megalopolis compared to East Glacier. East Glacier has a population of a couple of hundred, maybe. Most of the other stops are at least over a thousand at least.

Judy at the Sear's Motel rents out for Dollar in East. She'll have somebody grab a car and meet you at the station if you ask. Amtrak's where most of her customers come from, so it's a pretty frequent occurrence. If you did walk, it's about a 15 minute stroll up the road.

Buy a few avis vouchers on ebay they are always listed for about $30. They are good for a full size and work at the airport or any avis location . The tax at the airport will be about $3 so your each day full size renal will cost you $33. Hertz owns avis very well run and great new cars. I do this all the time. NEVER PAY RACK RATE!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back