Forgot Text Message #.....

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rrdude

Engineer
Can someone please post the text number for the service tht scpurs the Amtrak train status and displays it via TXT?

Thnx, Im waiting on 125, then hopping the Cap to CHI

To use the new service, simply send a text message to 401-268-7251 (that's 401-AMTRAK-1 :) ) containing [station code] [train number]. (Note that you don't includeamtrakstatus in the message.) For example, pdx 14 will give you the status of the northbound Coast Starlight in Portland. Or you could also send 14 pdx, the order doesn't matter. Also, capitalization doesn't matter - you can use pdx, PDX, pDx or whatever.

Have a great trip!

Jim in PDX

I just go on the amtrak site from my cell and click on the "status" tab!
I did that Dave, but it is soooooooooooooooo slow (I'm on an old iPhone 3G) compared to either of the TXT services mentioned above.

Either way, I mad the CAP, and am happily lounging in my roomette, awaiting dinner. Seems like a light load, based on the folks for early dinner, and the dearth of PAX in the SSL. But there are still three sleepers in consist. (two reg, one transition, I'm in "Kansas", which seems loooooooooooong overdue for a re-hab. Duct tape everywhere in room, broken seat, yada, yada, yada. But hey, at least I'm on a train!)

I just go on the amtrak site from my cell and click on the "status" tab!
I did that Dave, but it is soooooooooooooooo slow (I'm on an old iPhone 3G) compared to either of the TXT services mentioned above.

Either way, I mad the CAP, and am happily lounging in my roomette, awaiting dinner. Seems like a light load, based on the folks for early dinner, and the dearth of PAX in the SSL. But there are still three sleepers in consist. (two reg, one transition, I'm in "Kansas", which seems loooooooooooong overdue for a re-hab. Duct tape everywhere in room, broken seat, yada, yada, yada. But hey, at least I'm on a train!)
Time to upgrade! :giggle:

But hey, at least I'm on a train!
Better than me!
sad.gif
I haven't been on a train since May!
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif

So I tried both the 401-268-7241 and the text 41411.

Both came with quick and the same answers.

But the 41411 also came with a little ad as well, ofr psoriasis sufferers!

Wonder if the ads are tailored to some Amtrak riders profile?

Maybe they include sales pitches for radio scanners, duct tape, luggage locks, Amtrak voucher request forms, and the like? :giggle:

Maybe they include sales pitches for radio scanners, duct tape, luggage locks, Amtrak voucher request forms, and the like? :giggle:
I created the 41411 service first, using the free version of a service called TextMarks. In order to recoup the cost of providing the service for free, TextMarks adds an advertisement at the end of each message. The ads are not targeted to any particular user. The free version of TextMarks isn't supported by all wireless carriers, so I created the 401-AMTRAK-1 service, which should work from any cell phone and is ad-free.

I created the 41411 service first, using the free version of a service called TextMarks. In order to recoup the cost of providing the service for free, TextMarks adds an advertisement at the end of each message. The ads are not targeted to any particular user. The free version of TextMarks isn't supported by all wireless carriers, so I created the 401-AMTRAK-1 service, which should work from any cell phone and is ad-free.
Don't get me wrong. I think they are great services and the ads are amusing, not annoying (and if they are needed to keep the service going, not a problem at all). I just found it funny that the first one to pop up was for psoriasis. I would imagine that the ads would be tailored for a general demographic riding Amtrak. I mean, is ToysRUs or MTV going to pop for a tiny ad on the service? :)

I remember when you first created this great service several years ago. It came in so handy over the years. I still don't have a smart phone, so I rely on the text messages to keep me updated when I'm not near a computer.

Has the service been discontinued? I just tried texting both numbers. Sending "amtrakstatus 98 mia" to 41411 returned an immediate "Keyword AMTRAKSTATUS doesn't exist. Try again!" Sending "98 mia" to 401-268-7241 returns no reply at all. Before today, I last tried the service (and was successful) in June 2013.

Last edited by a moderator:
TextMarks is discontinuing its free service on October 15, 2013, so after that date you will no longer be able to obtain train status via a text message to 41411.

The 401-AMTRAK-1 service will continue to provide train status. Send a text message to 401-AMTRAK-1 (401-268-7251) containing [station code] [train number]. (Note that you don't include amtrakstatus in the message.) For example, pdx 14 will give you the status of the northbound Coast Starlight in Portland. Or you could also send 14 pdx, the order doesn't matter. Also, capitalization doesn't matter - you can use pdx, PDX, Pdx or whatever.

TextMarks is discontinuing its free service on October 15, 2013, so after that date you will no longer be able to obtain train status via a text message to 41411.

The 401-AMTRAK-1 service will continue to provide train status. Send a text message to 401-AMTRAK-1 (401-268-7251) containing [station code] [train number]. (Note that you don't include amtrakstatus in the message.) For example, pdx 14 will give you the status of the northbound Coast Starlight in Portland. Or you could also send 14 pdx, the order doesn't matter. Also, capitalization doesn't matter - you can use pdx, PDX, Pdx or whatever.
Thanks for that Ryan. I missed that announcement.

Don't know why I didn't get a reply on my first attempt, but it's working fine now. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back