Found - An Old Pan Am Terminal Building

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If there was a movie version of the book, I sure would like to see it...but I can't find anything about it online...do you recall any more details? Cast?
Perhaps you saw a movie with a similar plot?

I did a YouTube search and could not find it ... perhaps you could provide a link

Hornet Flight by Follett would also make a good movie
I tried looking for it too now and couldn't find it. Maybe I did read the book (even though it is not in my possession) and KF is such a good author that I could visualize it quite well. Or perhaps there really are parallel universes, one of which I somehow visited where there was an old movie with this plot instead of the book. It's really bothering me because I have an fairly specific images in my mind of several of the characters including Luther, Deakin, Margaret, Hartmann, and Ollis Field.

My father flew on a Pan Am Clipper on a 15-minute demonstration flight over San Francisco Bay from Treasure Island in 1939 or 40 and remembers the impressive take=off. They must have still been using the flying boats in Trans-Pacific service after the Trans-Atlantic service was converted to conventional planes. I checked the June 1941 Official Guide reprint and while it has the schedules they did not show the equipment. The service via Newfoundland, of course, was suspended in that edition.

Portland International Airport was located where it is now in order to have a ramp like that shown in the Newfoundland photo, expecting to soon have service to the Orient from the Columbia River.
Pan Am was using Wake Island in the South Pacific before WW 2 almost up until the time Japan invaded it.

Back