Found - An Old Pan Am Terminal Building

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NS VIA Fan

Conductor
On a trip to Newfoundland last week….I ventured out to the coast and the small town of Botwood that played a major role in the development of transatlantic commercial air service.

https://goo.gl/maps/na14L4AKztjC11Hj9

Here’s the original Terminal Building used by Pan Am in the late 1930’s through the mid ‘40s during the Flying Boat Era.

There’s an interesting Museum there depicting that heritage:

Last edited:
That is a nice find ... too bad the train doesn't go there

You might also enjoy this:
51VQEMWbCQL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002J05H0W/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Over_Water

I remember the Pam Am Clipper era and helped to interest me in the wonderful world of travel!

Thanks for posting this; very interesting and the book suggested sounds interesting!

Great finds, thanks for posting!

American Export 101-American Overseas 101-Pan Am Clipper 101-American Airlines 101.....that venerable number is still used for a daily London to New York flight...:)

My father flew on a Pan Am Clipper on a 15-minute demonstration flight over San Francisco Bay from Treasure Island in 1939 or 40 and remembers the impressive take=off. They must have still been using the flying boats in Trans-Pacific service after the Trans-Atlantic service was converted to conventional planes. I checked the June 1941 Official Guide reprint and while it has the schedules they did not show the equipment. The service via Newfoundland, of course, was suspended in that edition.

Portland International Airport was located where it is now in order to have a ramp like that shown in the Newfoundland photo, expecting to soon have service to the Orient from the Columbia River.

I have that great thriller in my collection...as usual, Follett really does his research, and describes in fantastic detail the nuances of the B-314...worth almost the price of the book is the description of making up the berth's by the stewards, in flight....

The first New York port for those clipper's, was located in Port Washington, L.I., until the completion of the Marine Air Terminal at New York Municipal (LGA)...

Great finds, thanks for posting!

American Export 101-American Overseas 101-Pan Am Clipper 101-American Airlines 101.....that venerable number is still used for a daily London to New York flight...:)

American Export 101, American Overseas 101: these were airlines/flights that I have never read about.

Was American Export a subsidiary of American Export Lines which sailed the S. S. Constitution and the S. S. Independence?

American Export 101, American Overseas 101: these were airlines/flights that I have never read about.

Was American Export a subsidiary of American Export Lines which sailed the S. S. Constitution and the S. S. Independence?
Absolutely!
There is a very brief capsule history in the photo...AA bought it for a few years, before selling the division to Pan Am...

Ironically, AA came full circle in 1990, flying NY/London again, although they did not get the routes from PanAm, who they sold to, but rather, from TWA....(United got PanAms NY/ London route.

Are those Clippers were used flying between Port of Miami and Bahamas by Chalk's Airlines? I've seen that type of airplane, either in Miami or Bimini Island. It was pretty cool to watch the plane landing and take off.
The flying boats that Chalk's used were Grumman Abatrosses and Mallards.

Thanks all......I'll have to get the book. Looks like an interesting read!
It certainly is...and if you have not read Ken Follett before, you may become a fan...his epic historic novel's are an 'education', as well as entertaining...

Follett has had a number of novels made into films and television mini series: Eye of the Needle was made into an acclaimed film, starring Donald Sutherland, and six novels have been made into television mini-series: The Key to Rebecca, Lie Down with Lions, On Wings of Eagles (1986), The Third Twin – the rights for which were sold to CBS for $US1,400,000, a record price at the time – and The Pillars of the Earth (2010) and World Without End (2012). These last two have been screened in several languages in many countries. Follett also had a cameo role as the valet in The Third Twin and later as a merchant in The Pillars of the Earth. In 2016, A Dangerous Fortune was also adapted

Night Over Water would make an excellent movie - although the beginning of the book follows several of the different people who come together on the plane, most of the story takes place "over the water".

It's a shame that so many bad movies are made while books like this one seem to be passed by.

Agreed...would love it if some producer with deep pockets did this as a movie, and spent money to build an accurate replica B-314...something comparable to Cameron's "Titanic"....

The closest thing was the old film "China Clipper", but I believe that was about the Martin M-130 and the building of Pan Am's transpacific route...

Just think - if they did make such a movie they could possibly film on location where the above pictures were taken.

Also, if they did make the movie - STICK TO THE BOOK! - don't rewrite the story to make it modern/politically correct/more action filled/or any of the other "reasons" they use to ruin a story they "adapt".

Agreed...would love it if some producer with deep pockets did this as a movie, and spent money to build an accurate replica B-314...something comparable to Cameron's "Titanic".
It has been reported that James Cameron was homeless and living out of his car when he wrote the story for the original Terminator. The screenplay resonated with Hollywood executives but they had little interest in allowing an unproven resource to participate in the making of the movie itself. So he eventually agreed to sell the story for a single dollar in exchange for being hired as a new director.

Just think - if they did make such a movie they could possibly film on location where the above pictures were taken. Also, if they did make the movie - STICK TO THE BOOK! - don't rewrite the story to make it modern/politically correct/more action filled/or any of the other "reasons" they use to ruin a story they "adapt".
Other than a few absurdly long movies and some extremely short stories, the most practical method to "stick to the book" is to make a long form television program that spans several movies' worth of content. If you really and truly want to "watch the book" then you probably don't want a movie at all.

Last edited:
Back