FOX's O'Reilly on AMTRAK

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does everyone accuse FOX of being biased? I get it they are biased. Get over it. Geez. And yet they mention nothing about MSNBC and other biased media. Its a joke how a one news network is singled out because some of you cant agree with their views.
I'd say that Fox News' real problem isn't their bias so much as their blatant dishonesty. If you want to argue with someone about this maybe you should take it up with the polling firms that have revealed Fox News viewers are some of the least informed in America. For a 24-hour "news" audience in a nation where political indifference is considered a virtue, that's quite a feat.
Dishonesty? How so? Just how are they more dishonest than MSNBC?
Lets face it. Fox is singled out because people dont agree with their views. Plain and simple. People just buy the lies spread by MSNBC and some other media that Fox is biased and evil.

I am in favor of a new media regulation. Any item reported in a news environment that has an opinion or contains distorted facts, or involves portraying facts in a less than simple and forthright way, they require that a red banner saying "OPINION" be placed around the story or broadcast. Because people don't seem to understand that many of the "news" they hear isn't news, its blatant opinion.

I like Bill O'Reilly.

And I understand him. He doesnt trust government to work and neither do I.

I understand him completely. He is a very wealthy man paid a lot of money to foist off Rupert Murdoch's BS on the American people in a power play for Mr. Murdoch to have as much power here as he has in Britain and Australia. For some god forsaken reason, we're dumber than I thought because it is working.

I saw his show tonite, and he said that Amtrak would be better run by the private sector, lets face it, I love Amtrak but we are broke, and billions of dollars spent aren't helping the regular people out there. If the private sector took over, we could probably see things run more prudently. I don't fly, I take Amtrak, but I know that throwing money at something doesn't make it better.

The very idea that the private sector could run an unprofitable business successfully without- no, wait. I won't state my opinion. Go research the privatization of British Rail. Then when you have done so, come back here and repeat your statement with a straight face.

Agreed.

Nothing wrong with Bill O'reilly. Or the Fox News. Better than MSNBC and that idiot Maddow, I wish i could call her something much worse here.

No. Its not better. It is exactly the same. It is the very same thing. Opinion foisted off on people to stupid to think for themselves. One caters to the right, the other to the left, but they are the same damn thing, rife with opinions, tarnished by spin, and a generally fact free zone.

Facts: Amtrak has cost us $13 billion and moved 250 million people over the past ten years, costing an average of $52 a passenger. That includes considerable infrastructure, however, used to move passengers on other commuter roads that don't fall into that passenger total.

Opinion: I'd guess that of the $13 billion Amtrak has spent above its income in the past ten years, $8 billion of it has been for Northeast Corridor plant improvements, which are used by something like 2.14 billion trips, so 8 billion of that can be divided by 2.14, and the other 5 billion by 250 mil, so you get $3.73 per passenger for that 8 billion, and $20 for the other 5 billion, so the actual per passenger subsidy works out to about $10.

In anycase, Bob O'Riler or whatever his name is just a talking head. The only reason he is worth anything of note is that for some singularly bizarre reason, some people listen to him. I think they are simply incapable of thinking for themselves. Ditto to people who listen to that Rachel Meadows dipshit or that sarcastic fool Keith Oberman.
Well, at least you are non-partisan about this and I respect that. Agreed people should think for themselves, but I enjoy watching O'riley lambast some of the politicians. its funny. Granted all of them are Democrats but still.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lets face it. Fox is singled out because people dont agree with their views. Plain and simple. People just buy the lies spread by MSNBC and some other media that Fox is biased and evil.
You're the only person even talking about MSNBC. When they talk about Amtrak, they'll be relevant. "But the other side does it too!" isn't a valid defense of Fox's shenanigans.

Fox gets singled out because they play fast and loose with the facts, and studies show that their viewers are among the least informed people out there. They're a miserable failure as a news outlet from an objective perspective.

Why does everyone accuse FOX of being biased? I get it they are biased. Get over it. Geez. And yet they mention nothing about MSNBC and other biased media.

Its a joke how a one news network is singled out because some of you cant agree with their views.
The whole thread is about Bill O'Reilly's comments on Amtrak. Did anybody on MSNBC say anything about Amtrak? Fox News is the voice of the conservative right-wingers. Roger Ailes, who worked for Regan and is a big time REpublican is the president of the network. It's owned by Rupert Murdoch, a conservative owner of media world wide. It makes no presence at being unbiased.

I always get a big laugh out of people saying Amtrak should be turned over to private enterprise. The Conservative Party in England broke up British Rail and gave itover to private operators. The government had to take over the company that owned and maintained the tracks and just about every private operator is subsidized by either the national or local governments. So, the whole private enterprise operation is still government-subsidized the British have the highest fares in Europe. Good move, guys.

The whole point about rupert Murdoch is so ridiculous.

Have you guys ever seen what they put on Fox? Family Guy, American Dad, The simpsons, AS LIBERAL AS THEY CAN BE. Yet they still accuse Murdoch of trying to brainwash America.

heres a shock. Murdoch wants to make money, ratings=Money. Glenn Beck (unfortunately) and others on Fox=rating, therefore Fox News is what it is.

If no one wanted to watch fox News Rupert would be all over it and just shut it down.

You're exactly right, thanks for proving my point for me.

Facts don't matter, ratings and money do, and the fact that this kind of right wing horsepuckery sells says nothing about its accuracy or validity.

I am a die-hard conservative that happens to support public transit. I take time to research facts and ensure that my opinions are well-founded. Yes, I do occasionally watch the Fox News talking heads, but I know that all they are doing is spouting their opinion. I watch it for entertainment, and not much more. Glenn Beck is an example of entertainment, much like the homeless guy in Philadelphia with "The End is Near" on his sign is.

That being said, MSNBC's talking heads are just as propagandist as Fox's. They just spew the other side. The reason that FNC's viewers are less informed has less to do with their news broadcasts and more to do with the demographics of the people that watch it. I will bet you that upper middle class college graduates are more informed as a whole than lower middle class people that may not have even graduated high school.

You're the only person even talking about MSNBC. When they talk about Amtrak, they'll be relevant. "But the other side does it too!" isn't a valid defense of Fox's shenanigans.

Fox gets singled out because they play fast and loose with the facts, and studies show that their viewers are among the least informed people out there. They're a miserable failure as a news outlet from an objective perspective.
Please don't be vague and "fast and loose with the facts" and pleasae state these "studies" you mention.

Have you guys ever seen what they put on Fox? Family Guy, American Dad, The simpsons, AS LIBERAL AS THEY CAN BE. Yet they still accuse Murdoch of trying to brainwash America.

heres a shock. Murdoch wants to make money, ratings=Money. Glenn Beck (unfortunately) and others on Fox=rating, therefore Fox News is what it is.

If no one wanted to watch fox News Rupert would be all over it and just shut it down.
Rupert Murdoch isn't interested in money. He is interested in power. Which he has a lot of. He practically runs the Austrailian government and has more control over the British Government than the Royal Family does. He is in the process of getting a lot of Republicans that he has made huge contributions to into Congress and the Senate to continue extending his political influence in this region.

Fox entertainment shows are liberal because they help make the money that funds his ambitions. Fox News is what it is because it helps him consolidate his increasingly scary power base. Rupert Murdoch is like William Randolph Hearst, except instead of favoring the common man, as Hurst so publicly did, he favors big business. Also, he has attained more influence, more subtly, than Hearst ever did.

Varying opinions are terrific and keep all things in check. If anyone thinks that Amtrak couldn't do a better job, they are wrong. We can all do better jobs.

The real fault here goes to Amtrak for not being able to get their message out there.

I keep voting for Amtrak by frequently buying tickets and traveling. We all could do better at convincing others to do the same. Don't wait for someone else to do something!

You're exactly right, thanks for proving my point for me.

Facts don't matter, ratings and money do, and the fact that this kind of right wing horsepuckery sells says nothing about its accuracy or validity.
Thats **** and you know it. Its not because its right wing. Its because controversy sells. Liberals, conservatives both watch Fox. Liberals just cant stop. It outrages them in a way that it captivates them.

Fox plays loose with facts? Really? And MSNBC doesnt? I make MSNBC comparisons because no one bitches and whines about MSNBC ANYWHERE. Only people who seems to have problems with Fox News are the Liberals. Sure its biased, and turns the facts and stats in to what they like, but isnt that what anyone would do that justify their own belief?

Sorry but your citations of shows on the Fox network just shows the real motive for Murdoch's use of the media to dumb down America.

The discussion is about the opinion shows that are on the Fox News network that the ultra-rich and ultra conservative owner from Australia uses to push his personal right wing agenda. Although I cannot cite the source I have heard him quoted as saying he does not believe in democracy.

Amtrak is a target of the conservative movement is America as are all of the working people. They want to have a free market enviroment with minimal taxes of the rich. Today the richest 1% own 40% of the country's assets and have trememdous tax breaks. Warren Buffet of BNSF fame says that he pays a lower percentage of his income than his secretary. In the Eisenhower administration the top tax rate was 91% now it is 33%!

In the GOP reply to the State of the Union address Rep. Ryan called for limited government. How will take care of the infrastructure and provide public services? As my hometown is on the verge of bankruptcy due to the spending like a drunken sailor by the past two administrations we have eliminated most public service jobs and the streets do not have the snow plowed for two or more days. In the past we were overly generous with police officers salary ($88,000 to $125,000). Now half of the police force is laid off and the crime is going up.

Having worked for Amtrak from 1973 until 2008 I can tell you that the mechanical forces were reduced by almost 40% in 1981 and wages that were equal to the freight railroads were in effect frozen with just some , absurd cost of living adjustment $0.02 one year and $0.04 the next. Wages were increased after 11 years and regular increases until 2000. It took almost 8 years for an agreement to be reached, and then only after a Presidential Emergency Board agreed with the unions request to be brought to the current freight wages.

This just shows how the republican administrations have used Amtrak to beat down the workers. And you wonder why Amtrak has an overabundance of disgruntled employees.

Just as O'Riley is entitled to his opinion on Amtrak, I have mine from 35 years of experience.

I think that Amtrak has done a really great job with the cards it has been dealt and needs support of the public to survive if the conservative movement prevails.

I guess that is more than my .02 so flame on.

Rupert Murdoch isn't interested in money. He is interested in power. Which he has a lot of. He practically runs the Austrailian government and has more control over the British Government than the Royal Family does. He is in the process of getting a lot of Republicans that he has made huge contributions to into Congress and the Senate to continue extending his political influence in this region.

Fox entertainment shows are liberal because they help make the money that funds his ambitions. Fox News is what it is because it helps him consolidate his increasingly scary power base. Rupert Murdoch is like William Randolph Hearst, except instead of favoring the common man, as Hurst so publicly did, he favors big business. Also, he has attained more influence, more subtly, than Hearst ever did.

Wasn't there a Simpsons episode about this?

http://www.vixbase.com/v/127770

Pretty scathing commentary by Bill O'Reilly of FOX News on AMTRAK and the fact that AMTRAK has lost 13 Billion (with a B) over the past 10 years and O'Bama wanting to "invest" (means spend) more government money (we don't have) on high speed rail....where 80% of Americans can access (doubtful) and get where we want to go faster than a speeding bullet. Did anybody see tonights show??? He was pretty nasty about AMTRAK and being run by the government. Pretty much saying that the government can not run anything successfully. I'll let the members take it from there.
I don't guess he mentioned the billions (with a B) that the states and nation as a whole are losing on roads bridges and hi=way up keep?

I saw his show tonite, and he said that Amtrak would be better run by the private sector, lets face it, I love Amtrak but we are broke, and billions of dollars spent aren't helping the regular people out there.
Corporate profits are expected to break records in 2010 amidst 9% unemployment: http://politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2011/jan/25/barack-obama/barack-obama-state-union-says-corporate-profits-ar/
It sounds like laying off regular people is good for business.

Please don't be vague and "fast and loose with the facts" and pleasae state these "studies" you mention.
I'm not really interested in doing your research for you. Try using google, and there's plenty of reading that you can go and do.

Thats **** and you know it. Its not because its right wing. Its because controversy sells. Liberals, conservatives both watch Fox. Liberals just cant stop. It outrages them in a way that it captivates them.

Fox plays loose with facts? Really? And MSNBC doesnt? I make MSNBC comparisons because no one bitches and whines about MSNBC ANYWHERE. Only people who seems to have problems with Fox News are the Liberals. Sure its biased, and turns the facts and stats in to what they like, but isnt that what anyone would do that justify their own belief?
Again, when MSNBC runs a story about Amtrak that gets all the facts wrong, you can come here and complain about them until the cows come home. Until then, claiming that "MSNBC does it too!" don't do a thing to help prove that Fox News is in any way a valid news source.

A few observations:

While the entertainment that passes for news on TV these days has us all bickering at each other in forums like this, the rich are running away with the treasury.

It seems clear that Amtrak is in the sights (since they are shying away from the term "crosshairs" now) of the right wing of American politics. They would have you believe that only left wing nuts ride trains. (Didn't Hitler say: "If you repeat a lye often enough, the people will believe it."?)

I'm a firm believer in national security, but notice how it is only non-defence, non-homeland security that is on the chopping block in any significant way? This while we spend ever spiraling amounts on more and more expensive and complicated defense and homeland security programs. Even a good portion of the ARRA money going to Amtrak is to increase security. I'm sorry to say it, but in that sense, our enemies know us too well. They understand that greed and paranoia are going to be this country's downfall. It seems that a majority of us are playing right into their hands.

I'm not really interested in doing your research for you. Try using google, and there's plenty of reading that you can go and do.

Again, when MSNBC runs a story about Amtrak that gets all the facts wrong, you can come here and complain about them until the cows come home. Until then, claiming that "MSNBC does it too!" don't do a thing to help prove that Fox News is in any way a valid news source.
Oh I think it helps plenty. It justifies my statement that you people need to stop bitching about Fox News.

Thats not the point. Its not like you people suddnely started bitching about Fox News once they advocated for cutting funds for Amtrak.

Thats not the point. Its not like you people suddnely started bitching about Fox News once they advocated for cutting funds for Amtrak.
It's a good point, you just don't seem to have any answer for it. There was nothing especially "sudden" about our comments. PJRACER asked us what we thought of O'Reilly's attack on Amtrak and we responded. I guess you didn't like what you read but instead of coming up with coherent reasons why he was right or why his detractors were wrong you simply kept trying to change the subject to MSNBC. Which I guess would be fine if you could have provided a recent Amtrak-related story that you thought MSNBC had gotten wrong. I never saw anything like that. All I saw was a series of unexplained accusations and deflections that did more to detract from your stated positions than to support them.

I dont care about whether Oreilly was right or wrong. Obviously I disagree with Bill Oreilly. but you people dont stop there. You all go on to ***** about Fox News. Thats the issue here with me.

Its a fact that Amtrak receives subsidies from US Gov, and Oreilly feels that they need to be cut off. its an opinion. Get over it. Stop bashing Fox News just because they are right wing biased. they arent the only biased media outlet in the US, thats my very point. And if you cant understand that then you need to stop watching TV altogether.

It's amazing to me that someone who is such a strong supporter of a hyper-controversial media outlet would have somehow managed to retain such a thin skin about it. :mellow:

Not just O'Reilly last night was Amtrak mentioned. Sean Hannity on his afternoon radio show to a caller asked the question, do we really need the national endowment of the arts? or amtrak? They were talking about government funding at the time. He pretty much put the two in the same category, which have nothing to do with each other. And in line with O Reilly, trashed amtrak without really knowing how many people actually use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back