FRA's Corridor ID Program and possible new Corridors

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
------------NEW ADDITIONS TO EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST AS OF OCTOBER 18. 2022----------------

39) Richland County (OH) Regional Planning & The Mayor of Mansfield, OH (1 entry)

Expressing interest and support for Amtrak's proposed Ohio 3Cs & a D route (also known as Ohio's Bad Report Card RoutešŸ˜)

40) Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission (MORPC)

An expression of interest to work with the FRA on the following proposed new and/or expanded routes-

-Cincinnati-Dayton-Columbus-Cleveland Corridor (3C+D), including a passenger rail spur connector to John Glenn International Airport (CMH)

-Chicago-Columbus-Pittsburgh Corridor (Midwest Connect)

-Columbus-Toledo-Detroit Corridor

-Columbusā€“Lancasterā€“Loganā€“Athens Corridor

-Columbus-Chillicothe-Portsmouth (South Shore, KY) Corridor

-Zanesville and Western Scenic Railroad - Mt. Perry Railroad Expansion

MORPC also notes that it has previously requested Amtrak add a Chicago-Columbus-Pittsburgh Corridor to its 2035 ConnectUS Plan as a high priority route.

41) Missouri Department of Transportation

MoDOT submitting an Expression of Interest for the following-

-Improvements to Amtrak's Missouri River Runner with the addition of one round trip and new stops

-Extension of Amtrak's Illinois Zephyr/Carl Sandburg to Hannibal, MO

-A new corridor from Kansas City to Springfield/Branson, MO

-A new corridor from Kansas City to St. Joseph, MO

MoDOT also notes-
As a member of the Midwest Interstate Passenger Rail Commission (MIPRC), an eight-state compact that supports the efforts of Midwestern state DOTs involved in developing and implementing passenger rail service, Missouri would also express interest in partnering with the states of Minnesota and Iowa in a potential Minneapolis-Des Moines-Kansas City corridor, as identified in the FRA's Midwest Regional Rail Plan Network.

I support all these but amtrak will have to keep all cars possible that will still be roadworthy in 5 years. As well additional orders for new locos and cars that gets Congressional approval.

I support all these but amtrak will have to keep all cars possible that will still be roadworthy in 5 years. As well additional orders for new locos and cars that gets Congressional approval.
they've got 4.2B for new LD fleet and related things like shops
that means 800-1000 new cars and 125-200 new locos
They'll have the 100 horizon cars free for coridor but thats it. They'll need a lot more corridor sets or hopefully they get a 4-6 car FLIRT for many of these routes

------------NEW ADDITIONS TO EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST AS OF OCTOBER 18. 2022----------------

39) Richland County (OH) Regional Planning & The Mayor of Mansfield, OH (1 entry)

Expressing interest and support for Amtrak's proposed Ohio 3Cs & a D route (also known as Ohio's Bad Report Card RoutešŸ˜)

40) Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission (MORPC)

An expression of interest to work with the FRA on the following proposed new and/or expanded routes-

-Cincinnati-Dayton-Columbus-Cleveland Corridor (3C+D), including a passenger rail spur connector to John Glenn International Airport (CMH)

-Chicago-Columbus-Pittsburgh Corridor (Midwest Connect)

-Columbus-Toledo-Detroit Corridor

-Columbusā€“Lancasterā€“Loganā€“Athens Corridor

-Columbus-Chillicothe-Portsmouth (South Shore, KY) Corridor

-Zanesville and Western Scenic Railroad - Mt. Perry Railroad Expansion

MORPC also notes that it has previously requested Amtrak add a Chicago-Columbus-Pittsburgh Corridor to its 2035 ConnectUS Plan as a high priority route.

41) Missouri Department of Transportation

MoDOT submitting an Expression of Interest for the following-

-Improvements to Amtrak's Missouri River Runner with the addition of one round trip and new stops

-Extension of Amtrak's Illinois Zephyr/Carl Sandburg to Hannibal, MO

-A new corridor from Kansas City to Springfield/Branson, MO

-A new corridor from Kansas City to St. Joseph, MO

MoDOT also notes-

Getting Ohio to buy in would be huge, glad theyā€™re at least on the list.

Since for most of these Corridors it will take 3 to 10+ years to get the paperwork done, especially for the real biggies, there isn't a tearing hurry to get rolling stock for them at this moment. Most of them will be state sponsored anyway, so the states will have to decide how they plan to equip them, via lease from Amtrak or owning their own etc. It will take time to resolve such issues.

Since for most of these Corridors it will take 3 to 10+ years to get the paperwork done, especially for the real biggies, there isn't a tearing hurry to get rolling stock for them at this moment. Most of them will be state sponsored anyway, so the states will have to decide how they plan to equip them, via lease from Amtrak or owning their own etc. It will take time to resolve such issues.

That may or not be the case. If Congress requires Amtrak to meet the demand on LD trains then all the incoming equipment will be needed to cover the extra equipment required. All we have to judge is the loads and number of cars of the past years. However, the consists were longer because some of the cars had fewer open positions for passengers. The present sold trains may be an indication of future loads or not an indication.

No one can even project ridership when Amtrak finally gets all its equipment back to road worthy condition. The only way to even get a hint is to check bookings from JAN = Easter. Have not had time to check myself.

That may or not be the case. If Congress requires Amtrak to meet the demand on LD trains then all the incoming equipment will be needed to cover the extra equipment required. All we have to judge is the loads and number of cars of the past years. However, the consists were longer because some of the cars had fewer open positions for passengers. The present sold trains may be an indication of future loads or not an indication.

No one can even project ridership when Amtrak finally gets all its equipment back to road worthy condition. The only way to even get a hint is to check bookings from JAN = Easter. Have not had time to check myself.
Congress won't demand anything of the sort no matter how intense the dream of LD aficionados are. ;) So far Congress has only reluctantly and stingily provided some funds for fixing LD issues that were goring the ox of individual legislators, nothing more. The equipment funding is basically stretched out over ten years too.

The fact of the matter is LD trains will always remain a secondary concern of Amtrak as long as it has to handle both short to medium corridor and LD trains. If Congress is serious about LD trains it would create a separate corporation or subsidiary (necessary for clear separation of accounts) for handling just those, and I am almost certain they won't do so.

Last edited:
The fact of the matter is LD trains will always remain a secondary concern of Amtrak as long as it has to handle both short to medium corridor and LD trains. If Congress is serious about LD trains it would create a separate corporation for handling just those, and I am almost certain they won't do so.
They don't need to make a whole other org unless the goal is how much money can we waste on the burcratic process

if they cared they would mandate more routes then provide the needed capital and operations funding needed.

------------NEW ADDITIONS TO EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST AS OF DECEMBER 1. 2022----------------

42) North Carolina Department of Transportation and Virginia Passenger Rail Authority (1 entry)

Jointly filing an Expression of Interest for a Washington, DC to Charlotte, NC corridor.

43) City of Oklahoma City and City of Dodge City, KS (2 entries)

Submitting a letter of support for the northern extension of the Heartland Flyer.

44) Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation

Submitting an Expression of Interest for a Washington, DC to Bristol, VA corridor.

45) Dickinson (ND) Convention and Visitors' Bureau

Submitting a letter requesting the FRA, through the Corridor ID program, work with the Greater Northwest Passenger Working Group on the restoration of passenger rail throughout the northwest US, including the North Coast Hiawatha.

46) Toledo Metropolitan Area Council of Governments

Expression of Interest and Support for the following corridors-

-Cleveland-Elyria-Sandusky-Toledo-Bryan-Chicago
-Cleveland-Toledo-Detroit
-Columbus-Toledo-Detroit

47) North Dakota Department of Transportation

Expressing support for restoration of the North Coast Hiawatha.

48) County of Erie, PA and Erie Metropolitan Planning Organization (2 entries)

Requesting an enhancement to Amtrak's Lake Shore Limited route, providing additional roundtrips between Cleveland, OH and New York City, NY.

49) Minneapolis - Duluth/Superior Passenger Rail Alliance

Requesting inclusion of the Northern Lights Express corridor into the program. in order to update the Service Development Plan and environmental documentation.

50) Sun Corridor Metropolitan Planning Organization

Expression of Interest and support for a new corridor connecting Tucson, Phoenix, and Buckeye, AZ

51) Maryland Department of Transportation

Submitting a letter requesting inclusion of Washington, DC to Baltimore, MD MAGLEV into Corridor ID.

52) Empire State Passenger Association

Requests the following be included into Corridor ID-

Enhancements to the following routes-

-Hudson Valley Service - New York City to Albany, NY
-Adirondack - NYC to Montreal, QUE
-Empire Corridor - NYC to Niagara Falls
-Maple Leaf - NYC to Toronto, ONT
-Ethan Allen - NYC to Burlington, VT
-Lake Shore Limited
a) additional roundtrips between Cleveland and NYC
b) improvements between Boston, MA and Albany, NY

Establishment of a new corridor between Cleveland, OH, Buffalo, NY, and Toronto, ONT

53) Peninsula Corridor Joint Powers Board

An Expression of Interest for the northern portion of California HSR, between Merced, San Jose, SFO Airport, and downtown San Francisco, CA.

54) Elevate Rapid City (SD)

Advocating for the extension of passenger rail to Rapid City and throughout the State of South Dakota.

55) Utah Rail Passengers Association

Support for the following routes-

-Pioneer/Intermountain corridor, between Salt Lake City, UT, Boise, ID, and Portland, OR
-Desert Wind/High Desert corridor, between Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, NV, and Los Angeles, CA
-North Coast Hiawatha, between Chicago, IL and Seattle, WA
-Front Range corridor, between Pueblo, CO and Cheyenne, WY
-LinkUtah, connecting Utah between Logan and Cedar City as well as Moab and Grand Junction, CO
-Magic Valley Corridor, as part of the Pioneer/Intermountain route, connecting Jerome, Twin Falls, Burley, and Rupert, in Idaho
-Cache Valley Corridor, a new commuter rail system, connecting Preston, Logan, Brigham City, and Ogden
-Virgin River Corridor, a new commuter rail system, connecting Cedar City, Hurricane, Saint George, and Mesquite.

Maryland wonā€™t give up on that awful maglev.
Well, let's see what happens when the new governor takes office in January. I think the maglev is a pet project of the current governor.

What Maryland really could use is at least an extension of MARC to Cumberland, or better yet, a Baltimore/Washington Pittsburgh corridor. Also, some sort of service to Hagerstown, even if it's just a connecting bus to/from Martinsburg.

Another thing would be nice is an Eastern Shore line connecting Salisbury and Dover, DE to Wilmington. And if they ever build a new Chesapeake Bay Bridge, it should have space for rail, and they should build a Baltimore/DC to Ocean City/Rehoboth line as well. But that's in fantasy land, I know.

------------NEW ADDITIONS TO EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST AS OF DECEMBER 1. 2022----------------

42) North Carolina Department of Transportation and Virginia Passenger Rail Authority (1 entry)

Jointly filing an Expression of Interest for a Washington, DC to Charlotte, NC corridor.

43) City of Oklahoma City and City of Dodge City, KS (2 entries)

Submitting a letter of support for the northern extension of the Heartland Flyer.

44) Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation

Submitting an Expression of Interest for a Washington, DC to Bristol, VA corridor.

45) Dickinson (ND) Convention and Visitors' Bureau

Submitting a letter requesting the FRA, through the Corridor ID program, work with the Greater Northwest Passenger Working Group on the restoration of passenger rail throughout the northwest US, including the North Coast Hiawatha.

46) Toledo Metropolitan Area Council of Governments

Expression of Interest and Support for the following corridors-

-Cleveland-Elyria-Sandusky-Toledo-Bryan-Chicago
-Cleveland-Toledo-Detroit
-Columbus-Toledo-Detroit

47) North Dakota Department of Transportation

Expressing support for restoration of the North Coast Hiawatha.

48) County of Erie, PA and Erie Metropolitan Planning Organization (2 entries)

Requesting an enhancement to Amtrak's Lake Shore Limited route, providing additional roundtrips between Cleveland, OH and New York City, NY.

49) Minneapolis - Duluth/Superior Passenger Rail Alliance

Requesting inclusion of the Northern Lights Express corridor into the program. in order to update the Service Development Plan and environmental documentation.

50) Sun Corridor Metropolitan Planning Organization

Expression of Interest and support for a new corridor connecting Tucson, Phoenix, and Buckeye, AZ

51) Maryland Department of Transportation

Submitting a letter requesting inclusion of Washington, DC to Baltimore, MD MAGLEV into Corridor ID.

52) Empire State Passenger Association

Requests the following be included into Corridor ID-

Enhancements to the following routes-

-Hudson Valley Service - New York City to Albany, NY
-Adirondack - NYC to Montreal, QUE
-Empire Corridor - NYC to Niagara Falls
-Maple Leaf - NYC to Toronto, ONT
-Ethan Allen - NYC to Burlington, VT
-Lake Shore Limited
a) additional roundtrips between Cleveland and NYC
b) improvements between Boston, MA and Albany, NY

Establishment of a new corridor between Cleveland, OH, Buffalo, NY, and Toronto, ONT

53) Peninsula Corridor Joint Powers Board

An Expression of Interest for the northern portion of California HSR, between Merced, San Jose, SFO Airport, and downtown San Francisco, CA.

54) Elevate Rapid City (SD)

Advocating for the extension of passenger rail to Rapid City and throughout the State of South Dakota.

55) Utah Rail Passengers Association

Support for the following routes-

-Pioneer/Intermountain corridor, between Salt Lake City, UT, Boise, ID, and Portland, OR
-Desert Wind/High Desert corridor, between Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, NV, and Los Angeles, CA
-North Coast Hiawatha, between Chicago, IL and Seattle, WA
-Front Range corridor, between Pueblo, CO and Cheyenne, WY
-LinkUtah, connecting Utah between Logan and Cedar City as well as Moab and Grand Junction, CO
-Magic Valley Corridor, as part of the Pioneer/Intermountain route, connecting Jerome, Twin Falls, Burley, and Rupert, in Idaho
-Cache Valley Corridor, a new commuter rail system, connecting Preston, Logan, Brigham City, and Ogden
-Virgin River Corridor, a new commuter rail system, connecting Cedar City, Hurricane, Saint George, and Mesquite.
So how exactly would this South Dakota line connect up?

Well, let's see what happens when the new governor takes office in January. I think the maglev is a pet project of the current governor.

What Maryland really could use is at least an extension of MARC to Cumberland, or better yet, a Baltimore/Washington Pittsburgh corridor. Also, some sort of service to Hagerstown, even if it's just a connecting bus to/from Martinsburg.

<snip>
What is the condition of the W&W between Martinsburg and Hagerstown? Could it be a quick and simple project like the Music City Star in Nashville?

View attachment 30565
Found this map on Twitter, its an unofficial update to the connects map based on responses so far to the Corridor ID program.
Hmm, some interesting routes on there?

As mentioned, Monterrey is surprising. And that's quite the network radiating from Columbus. What's going on with the route west from Binghamton? I recall an Amtrak/MoDOT study of St. Louis - Springfield maybe 10-15 years ago but not Kansas City - Springfield (nor Kansas City - St. Joseph).

Amtrak service to Nuevo Laredo and Monterrey Mexico? I will be very surprised to see that happen.
Why not? There's a lot of cross-border bust traffic between Mexico and Texas, at least I saw a lot of Mexican buses on Texas highways. What railroad would be the host railroad for such a service? (presumably from San Antonio to Laredo, and then across the border to Nuevo Laredo and Monterrey.)

Hmm, some interesting routes on there?

As mentioned, Monterrey is surprising. And that's quite the network radiating from Columbus. What's going on with the route west from Binghamton? I recall an Amtrak/MoDOT study of St. Louis - Springfield maybe 10-15 years ago but not Kansas City - Springfield (nor Kansas City - St. Joseph).
These are just routes that have been suggested for further consideration to FRA by someone or the other. Some have considerable meat behind them (e.g. Colorado Front Range) and others are just pie in the sky at this time (e.g. New York State Southern Tier).

These are just routes that have been suggested for further consideration to FRA by someone or the other. Some have considerable meat behind them (e.g. Colorado Front Range) and others are just pie in the sky at this time (e.g. New York State Southern Tier).
Yep, Shiny Wish Lists from the Desk Jockeys to distract us, while they should be busy fixing the many Serious problems that Amtrak currently has!šŸ˜‰

Yep, Shiny Wish Lists from the Desk Jockeys to distract us, while they should be busy fixing the many Serious problems that Amtrak currently has!šŸ˜‰
Actually, AFAICT Amtrak has cleverly appropriated a diagram produced by an activity that is now the responsibility of the FRA to show how much they are doing to spread the joyous message of Trains Trains everywhere (but not any one to ride) while spending very little money or resources on it themselves. Free publicity is always good in the Marketing Department. In my old age I am afraid I am getting way more cynical than I should be I am afraid.

Remember that the responsibility for planning the future of the LD network was taken away from Amtrak in the latest Authorization Bill and given to FRA since Amtrak has amply demonstrated its complete unwillingness to deal with it with any honesty over the years, blaming everyone else for their unwillingness to deal with it.

I about choked when I noticed proposing service from Columbus, Ohio to Athens and Chillicothe, both small towns, though Athens is at least a college town. Ohio will be lucky to get the 3C route. Despite DeWine making noise with studying that, my prediction Ohio will remain in the dark ages for rail. Speaking as a native Ohioan.

I about choked when I noticed proposing service from Columbus, Ohio to Athens and Chillicothe, both small towns, though Athens is at least a college town. Ohio will be lucky to get the 3C route. Despite DeWine making noise with studying that, my prediction Ohio will remain in the dark ages for rail. Speaking as a native Ohioan.
The advantage now is DeWine already won his Re-election, killing any potential train wonā€™t give him a political win, especially when running more passenger trains has bipartisan support. Thereā€™s more money upfront to make the service better from day 1 and operating support up to 6 years from the Feds. Personally I wish Amtrak had to support state trains too up to say 40% minimum, thereā€™d be more states willing to buy in and Amtrak wouldnā€™t be able to get away with overcharging for service like they do now.

the UK has decided any town above 10k should get rail service. Even if we use a high standard of 20k Athens is sitting at 40,000 when college is in session.
Chillicothe is 25k
I don't see why towns this size shouldn't get it.

Back