Free alcoholic drink included for dinner for sleepers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was surprised to find out that not all vodka is gluten free, since I thought all vodka was made from potatoes. Apparently that is not the case.

Actually, the majority of the common vodka brands these days will be grain of some sort - usually wheat or barley. Potatoes are still often used in USSR and eastern European brands and are also common here. Some of the less expensive products now use corn. And some, the French Ciroc, for example, are made from grapes.

oh my! I am getting a hangover headache just looking at those bottles. I remember Boone's Farm and Ripple being 99 cents at 7-11 back in 1969-70.

To this day I cannot look at a bottle of Mad Dog without turning my stomach; got absolutely torpedoed off of TWO bottles at a party in the late 70s and was sick as a dog and then some for a week! No more fortified wines here!

To this day I cannot look at a bottle of Mad Dog without turning my stomach; got absolutely torpedoed off of TWO bottles at a party in the late 70s and was sick as a dog and then some for a week! No more fortified wines here!
I believe I only had Mad Dog once (likely in the early 70s). I may have passed out in a stranger's restroom - I do not remember the details, but I know it was absolutely the worst thing I had ever drank (and never had it again). I am not sure how much I had, but I know it was not two bottles. Back then I probably weighed around 105 pounds so a little went a long way.🍷

I know that Amtrak makes a lot of money by selling alcoholic beverages, so I can't complain about that, but it sticks in my craw that they're offering a "free alcoholic drink" for sleeper customers -- this is a useless perk for teetotalers and a temptation for alcoholics, and undoubtedly costs Amtrak money. They should find perks which are more universal in value.

I know that Amtrak makes a lot of money by selling alcoholic beverages, so I can't complain about that, but it sticks in my craw that they're offering a "free alcoholic drink" for sleeper customers -- this is a useless perk for teetotalers and a temptation for alcoholics, and undoubtedly costs Amtrak money. They should find perks which are more universal in value.
We're not drinkers (my couple of times a year habit will probably double on our next trip because if it's free...). She can't drink at all - very sensitive to it (she was a cheap date 50 years ago so liquor wasn't quicker). However, I don't begrudge the drinkers any more than not taking desserts or all-day soft drinks or a steak every night or any other perk.

I generally avoid most sodas, teas, and shelf stable juices but it never occurred to me to complain that Amtrak should go back to charging for them just because I do not personally benefit from that perk. I've enjoyed welcome drinks at nicer hotels & resorts and I think Amtrak was wise to start including them. If anything I think they should expand the benefit to match what airlines provide in premium cabins. That being said I'm willing to support adding some other perk that is more useful to someone in your situation so long as you avoid attacking the perks that I enjoy.

hat brands and varieties of wine is Amtrak offering now in the dining cars? I know they used to offer Barefoot :( which is like flavored water hopefully they have some real wine now.
They have a white, a red and a rose. The white is Kendall Jackson Chardonnay, which is a bit oaky for my taste, but lots of people like. The rose is by Chateau Ste. Michelle in Washington, and is pretty good as a food wine. Not sweet and not minerally, but an easy food wine. The red is a Ste. Michelle second label that I haven't heard of myself, but a friend who works for Ste. Michelle reports is surprisingly pleasant. So all three are a big step up from Barefoot "wine flavored beverage." Though it is a shame that they no longer stock more premium wines that you could 'buy up' to. A missed opportunity by Amtrak to make a little extra money...

I generally avoid most sodas, teas, and shelf stable juices but it never occurred to me to complain that Amtrak should go back to charging for them just because I do not personally benefit from that perk. I've enjoyed welcome drinks at nicer hotels & resorts and I think Amtrak was wise to start including them. If anything I think they should expand the benefit to match what airlines provide in premium cabins. That being said I'm willing to support adding some other perk that is more useful to someone in your situation so long as you avoid attacking the perks that I enjoy.
And... nothing quite sums it up like a refreshing Corona and Lime... aaah... so refreshing after the rush to catch the train!:D
best-mexican-lager-social.jpg

And... nothing quite sums it up like a refreshing Corona and Lime... aaah... so refreshing after the rush to catch the train!:D
View attachment 24511
Dos Equis and Modelo are considered better Beer in Mexico, Corona is a Watery,Weak and Cheap Beer there.

Marketing is a Wonderful thing!😄

I agree almost entirely on services provided for money paid.

Unfortunately when it comes to the flex dining non edible food disaster, it seems that sleeper passengers are over paying. This goes back to then CEO Anderson 'inventing' a way of making money on dining services by reducing production costs... and as we know... that went way too far!😖😖😖😖

Truth be told... too much beer is pretty much off my list these days being susceptible to gout as beer is high in purines. But I sure did drink a lot of it when I ventured to Merida decades ago. My friends were encouraging indulgence in Margaritas as well... which went down so smooth and nice. That was indeed one heck of a hangover... whew!

A few years later had not learned my lesson and indulged in some very strong pisco sours on a visit to Macho Pichu... the gods looked down and pierced me with a 'big bang' of a headache. The thoughtful tour director brought over one very tall bloody mary at breakfast the next morning and it magically faded away.

Aaaaah to be young again!

'Drinking in the Scenery.png

I rarely drink (maybe once every two months or so?) - and I have no desire to drink while on the train. I ask for an unopened bottle of the single-portion wine and bring it home to my wife.

Back