Free public transit connections with Amtrak services

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCL

Engineer
Just curious how this works where you are or where you've visited. It's been a while since I've requested a transfer on Capitol Corridor, but they previously handed out transfers (two - one outbound and one return) valid on multiple transit agencies using their punches to mark the expiration date. Not sure if they still do, but it was really odd because they would often punch a date well into the future, and most bus drivers didn't ask me to surrender them. On something like Santa Clara VTA light rail, it was a proof of payment system where the transfer would have been my proof. I think I was asked to produce it maybe once by a fare inspector. OK - looked it up and now they do it by presenting a ticket. That makes it easier since one might want a ride to the train station, which requesting a transfer from a conductor didn't allow.

On Pacific Surfliner they theoretically have free transfers on multiple agencies, although not the biggest one in the area - LA Metro. On Anaheim Regional Transportation they will provide rides to/from Disneyland to the Anaheim ARTIC station by showing a Pacific Surfliner ticket, although I'm not sure if they really look that closely (like let's say from a San Joaquins Thruway bus connection from Bakersfield to ARTIC). The following mentions specific Orange County Transportation Authority routes that provide free rides at specific stations. However, my knee was bothering me a few days ago and I was prepared to pay the $2 fare for a 5 minute ride to ARTIC on a bus that wasn't listed. I was getting ready for my train so I had my paper Amtrak ticket in my hand along with the $2. But the driver saw my ticket and said I was good to board without paying if I was just going to the train station.

https://www.pacificsurfliner.com/plan-your-trip/connections/local-transit-services/
As far as I can tell, these arrangements are made by the joint powers authorities. Metrolink trains in Southern California seem to have similar arrangements with these agencies.

Just curious how this works where you are or where you've visited. It's been a while since I've requested a transfer on Capitol Corridor, but they previously handed out transfers (two - one outbound and one return) valid on multiple transit agencies using their punches to mark the expiration date. Not sure if they still do, but it was really odd because they would often punch a date well into the future, and most bus drivers didn't ask me to surrender them. On something like Santa Clara VTA light rail, it was a proof of payment system where the transfer would have been my proof. I think I was asked to produce it maybe once by a fare inspector. OK - looked it up and now they do it by presenting a ticket. That makes it easier since one might want a ride to the train station, which requesting a transfer from a conductor didn't allow.

On Pacific Surfliner they theoretically have free transfers on multiple agencies, although not the biggest one in the area - LA Metro. On Anaheim Regional Transportation they will provide rides to/from Disneyland to the Anaheim ARTIC station by showing a Pacific Surfliner ticket, although I'm not sure if they really look that closely (like let's say from a San Joaquins Thruway bus connection from Bakersfield to ARTIC). The following mentions specific Orange County Transportation Authority routes that provide free rides at specific stations. However, my knee was bothering me a few days ago and I was prepared to pay the $2 fare for a 5 minute ride to ARTIC on a bus that wasn't listed. I was getting ready for my train so I had my paper Amtrak ticket in my hand along with the $2. But the driver saw my ticket and said I was good to board without paying if I was just going to the train station.

https://www.pacificsurfliner.com/plan-your-trip/connections/local-transit-services/
As far as I can tell, these arrangements are made by the joint powers authorities. Metrolink trains in Southern California seem to have similar arrangements with these agencies.
In Philadelphia, Amtrak passengers can travel free between 30th St. Station and 3 downtown stations, but only on Regional Rail (commuter service), not on rapid transit. Since that section is a core corridor used by just about all of the area's commuter lines, there's a train every 10 minutes or so. One or more entry gates at each of the included stations has a scanner that can read the barcode or QR code on Amtrak tickets.

In Philadelphia, Amtrak passengers can travel free between 30th St. Station and 3 downtown stations, but only on Regional Rail (commuter service), not on rapid transit. Since that section is a core corridor used by just about all of the area's commuter lines, there's a train every 10 minutes or so. One or more entry gates at each of the included stations has a scanner that can read the barcode or QR code on Amtrak tickets.
When I was at 30th St, it was the handicapped entrance that accepted the Amtrak QR code. A SEPTA employee directed me to it.

Too bad Boston doesn't have something like that for travel between North Station and Back Bay. At least on the Downeaster you can buy a preloaded CharlieCard in the cafe for $5 which is enough for a round trip on the subway.

The Surfliner doesn't have any joint powers association. Each transit operator can choose their level of free service to/from Amtrak.

I think I've done the transfer at SBA and it cost a quarter at that time. San Diego MTS sells day passes on the Surfliner, but I don't need them as I live here and I typically need just one fare to get home. I tried using the free transfers from SNA but they use very specific bus lines that didn't get me anywhere I needed to go.

On the Capital Corridor I bought a discounted Clipper card, which came in handy. However, I don't think it saves any money over the app - it just waives the $3 new card fee. I wish this was an option for LA Metro....

Back