Free SunRail rides coming soon!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so disappointed that the trains won't be running for the art show. That would be such a civilized way to get to the show.

Now I'm waiting on the Lynx schedule changes to try to figure out my time table for getting from the train to my office.

- SunRail Phase 2 starts construction in 2015, starts operating in 2017 (if everything seems to go according to plan)
I believe Phase 2 starts construction this year (2014). There's some lack of clarity on the website, but it looks like the northern extension starts construction this year and the southern extension next year. (The northern extension was funded already, the southern extension didn't get its funding committed until this month.)

South Florida commuter train could offer clues about who will ride SunRail

No one can say for certain who will ride the SunRail commuter train when it starts May 1, but a look at a similar system that has run in South Florida for 25 years could offer some clues.
SunRail officials say they have developed no demographic model about what to expect for its riders, but transit experts contend commuter systems tend to attract so-called choice riders — in other words, passengers who own or have access to autos but take the train anyway.

That has been the case with Tri-Rail, the commuter-rail system that has run along Interstate 95 since 1989.

Of the roughly 16,000 people who ride Tri-Rail daily, 66 percent have at least one car at their home, found a survey of passengers the system conducted in 2013....

The Tri-Rail system report showed a widespread annual household-income level among riders, with 21 percent earning more than $75,000 and 37 percent bringing in between $25,000 and $50,000.

Ethnically, 34 percent of the passengers are African-American, 30 percent are white and 26 percent are Hispanic. SunRail officials say they expect the racial make-up of SunRail to reflect Central Florida, which is almost 52 percent white, nearly 27 Hispanic and 15 percent African-American, according to diversitydata.org.

SunRail could learn from Tri-Rail because of the similarities between the systems. Both were started by the state in the wake of large-scale construction projects on the region's prime highway. In South Florida, I-95 underwent a major overhaul.

So, am I right in thinking that I won't need to pay a lynx fare if I get on at the Sunrail station? That would be great!

Even if I did have to pay a bus fare I'm still ahead of the game not driving! :)

I wish for this post to be in the correct place here, in case it is not, please move or delete.

The thread title says "Free SunRail rides coming soon!", and now they are coming really soon - tomorrow is May 1st! :)

Big day for rail transportation in Central Florida.

Here are some press reports, because of the start of service tomorrow, that also contained some information not known to me yet (though possibly already known to others ;) ):

SunRail brings new vision for transit in Daytona Beach
by Mark Harper
Published: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 at 5:30 a.m.
Last Modified: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 at 8:50 a.m.
http://www.news-journalonline.com/article/20140428/NEWS/140429441/1040?Title=SunRail-brings-new-vision-for-transit-in-Daytona-Beach

But that [sunRail to Daytona Beach] will take many more millions of dollars, starting with a $2.5-million, 18-month study that will look at how many riders might use such a link, what type of train might work best, where it would connect with SunRail and where it would stop in east Volusia.

Volusia County Council members gave their support this month and kicked in about $500,000 for the study.
Of course, nearly everyone might be aware of the fact that this is only a study, still it might seem promising to many that at least the option of adding more rail service to Central Florida is being seriously studied.

The following piece of news is already 1 and a half months old. Still I was not able to find any more updated information on that topic. Many people might wish for commuter rail and rail in general to be as successful as possible. In order for that to happen, and also for the transit-oriented development to happen as well as to be good neighbors to the human beings and businesses already along the route, many might think it would be a good thing if quiet zones could be in place for the whole corridor (as it is a densely populated, at least suburban area). So then reading that as part of a $1+ billion project, it was not possible to include the $15 million necessary to silence the 100-decibel-horns, might be a disappointment to quiet a lot of people.

The MetroPlan Orlando transportation planning organization completed a study of the 96 intersections where, by law, horns must be blown to warn motorists and others that a train is coming. However, if gates, signals and other enhancements are added to each crossing, the horns won’t have to be used. That type of enhancement for the 96 intersections would cost $15.5 million — money MetroPlan Orlando doesn’t have.
see here:

Mar 18, 2014, 7:10am EDT
Silencing SunRail horns comes with a hefty price
by Matthew Richardson
http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/morning_call/2014/03/silencing-sunrail-horns-comes-with-a-hefty-price.html
Another article about this in the Orlando Sentinel at least included that four grade crossings next to the Florida Hospital campus in North Orlando near the hospital were indeed modified for a cost of $4 million to create a quiet zone already now. Which seems like a really good first step. The Orlando Sentinel article also explains how SunRail is not as loud as CSX trains, and personally I can believe that, as the CSX trains were still audible at the apartment complex my wife formerly lived in, 1.8 miles away from the train tracks! Now many might hope that the funds can be found to expand the quiet zones, as they would silence both SunRail and CSX, along the whole rest of the route.

So no matter how loud or quiet the ride, at least tomorrow finally this new level of transportation in Central Florida is available to be used by the public.

Let's see what the reports will be like in the next days, about the first days of service. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm disappointed that the bus connection schedule for my situation isn't really convenient since the bus leaves the station 10 minutes before the train I would take arrives. I feel like since the start of the bus route is at the train station can't the bus leave the station after the train arrives?

Taking an earlier train to catch the earlier bus isn't appealing to me at this point so now my hopes are that I-4 will be a little less crowded if others are taking the train.

Many will be happy that it seems the first morning of the new service was a success. Besides the one grade crossing, some of the water fountains at stations, and some bus connections, everything apparently went pretty much as planned. And there probably should be hope that whatever is not perfect yet still can be improved in the next days and weeks.

Here's one first article about it:

SunRail debuts; riders

By Dan Tracy, Orlando Sentinel
May 1, 2014

See here: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/sunrail/os-sunrail-commuter-train-debuts-20140430,0,5689028,full.story

Among other things, it says:

At the DeBary SunRail station, the parking lot was nearly full almost from the start; in Lake Mary, there were about 200 cars in the parking lot.
That might seem like a good sign to many, that the parking lots were well used.

And also:

The early morning runs, starting just after 5 a.m., had sparse ridership and much of it appeared to be retirees and people getting on just to experience the first fixed-rail mass transit system in Orlando's history.

But commuters began filling in as the more traditional ride-to-work times between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m. approached. Some of the trains heading downtown were standing-room only.
This might sound good to many as well, that today's riders were not only those wanting to be part of this day in history, but also commuters on their way to work...

I am on the train right now. It is packed and late.

IMG_20140501_115050.jpg

I wish I could afford to be in Orlando to ride this but only you wealthy Yankees are able to afford trips to Florida! LOL

Bet it was packed Penny, the Redline here in Austin was like this the First Week when rides were Free and several AUers twisted my arm to ride!

I wish I could afford to be in Orlando to ride this but only you wealthy Yankees are able to afford trips to Florida! LOL

Bet it was packed Penny, the Redline here in Austin was like this the First Week when rides were Free and several AUers twisted my arm to ride!
Yes, Jim, it was packed. In fact, it was too packed for me to travel the entire route. I only went from downtown to the southern terminus and back to downtown. I am thinking about going the opposite direction tomorrow morning (which will be a longer ride).

It was packed. And the complainers (probably the ones who call it a boondoggle) are quick to throw it under the bus (pun intended). But I rode Lake Mary to DeBary, the north terminus, and back to Lake Mary. It was packed going north SRO. Going south I found a seat with a view out the front window. Memo to the complainers: There is only one afternoon train and it makes two round trips north and south. Because its the first day, there were many just there to ride and soak in day one (guilty). Everyone was nice. The train is clean and modern. It was really cool. Everyone was happy. There will be a few commuters that will rasie hell, becuase at a few stops they couldnt take on more passengers (so I heard, not on my train). But, for a brand new commuter train working on day one it was pretty good. I have seen a few trains downtown in the past hour very close to on time. The one afternnon train was 30-40 minutes late at one point. No big deal. First day of operation. When the free ride expires May 16 and the real commuters settle in, it will run like a watch.

I did the first northbound run at Lynx Central Station. The train came in on time at 6:28. We came into Debary early and left Debary on time. Anyone that saw the Sunrail maintenance facility, they still have the DMU set from Tri-Rail.

One of the conductors I spoke to said they're debating on whether they will keep it or not. The Votran buses at Debary were waiting for the train. Lynx buses were also waiting at other stations too.

At the Sand Lake station, besides Lynx they also had TranStar bus service. IDK much about that yet. So the connecting buses worked out there today. It did get crowded later on though.

I am on the northbound now. It is not crowded. Unfortunately, I will not go all the way to debary since it will be a 2 hour wait for the southbound. I will detrain in Lake Mary.

IMG_20140502_073340.jpg

I did the entire ride from Debary to Sand Lake. Here is the video, taken on May 1st.

I am on sunrail northbound right now heading for DeBary. There are plenty of seats available.

I wish for this post to be in the correct place here, in case it is not, please move or delete.

The thread title says "Free SunRail rides coming soon!", and now they are coming really soon - tomorrow is May 1st! :)

Big day for rail transportation in Central Florida.

Here are some press reports, because of the start of service tomorrow, that also contained some information not known to me yet (though possibly already known to others ;) ):

SunRail brings new vision for transit in Daytona Beach

by Mark Harper

Published: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 at 5:30 a.m.

Last Modified: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 at 8:50 a.m.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/article/20140428/NEWS/140429441/1040?Title=SunRail-brings-new-vision-for-transit-in-Daytona-Beach

But that [sunRail to Daytona Beach] will take many more millions of dollars, starting with a $2.5-million, 18-month study that will look at how many riders might use such a link, what type of train might work best, where it would connect with SunRail and where it would stop in east Volusia.

Volusia County Council members gave their support this month and kicked in about $500,000 for the study.
Of course, nearly everyone might be aware of the fact that this is only a study, still it might seem promising to many that at least the option of adding more rail service to Central Florida is being seriously studied.

The following piece of news is already 1 and a half months old. Still I was not able to find any more updated information on that topic. Many people might wish for commuter rail and rail in general to be as successful as possible. In order for that to happen, and also for the transit-oriented development to happen as well as to be good neighbors to the human beings and businesses already along the route, many might think it would be a good thing if quiet zones could be in place for the whole corridor (as it is a densely populated, at least suburban area). So then reading that as part of a $1+ billion project, it was not possible to include the $15 million necessary to silence the 100-decibel-horns, might be a disappointment to quiet a lot of people.

The MetroPlan Orlando transportation planning organization completed a study of the 96 intersections where, by law, horns must be blown to warn motorists and others that a train is coming. However, if gates, signals and other enhancements are added to each crossing, the horns won’t have to be used. That type of enhancement for the 96 intersections would cost $15.5 million — money MetroPlan Orlando doesn’t have.
see here:

Mar 18, 2014, 7:10am EDT
Silencing SunRail horns comes with a hefty price
by Matthew Richardson
http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/morning_call/2014/03/silencing-sunrail-horns-comes-with-a-hefty-price.html
Another article about this in the Orlando Sentinel at least included that four grade crossings next to the Florida Hospital campus in North Orlando near the hospital were indeed modified for a cost of $4 million to create a quiet zone already now. Which seems like a really good first step. The Orlando Sentinel article also explains how SunRail is not as loud as CSX trains, and personally I can believe that, as the CSX trains were still audible at the apartment complex my wife formerly lived in, 1.8 miles away from the train tracks! Now many might hope that the funds can be found to expand the quiet zones, as they would silence both SunRail and CSX, along the whole rest of the route.

So no matter how loud or quiet the ride, at least tomorrow finally this new level of transportation in Central Florida is available to be used by the public.

Let's see what the reports will be like in the next days, about the first days of service. :)
Looking over the story on Daytona getting connected, that looks like a potential mess. I do agree that a line along or near I-4 would probably add a good deal of ridership...but there are almost too many areas jockeying for a line in Central Florida to see that happening soon. All Aboard Florida also provides some interesting possibilities on that front...I have to wonder how a hypothetical AAF stop in Daytona would interact with a commuter rail project, for example.

Many people might be thrilled to see SunRail having a good start of public service so far (including a few things that are not perfect yet, but one could think that has to be expected in the beginning).

A recent press report seemed very interesting to me. In WESH's written coverage today (not part of the video), it says:

Pat Heckel walked five minutes from home to catch the SunRail headed to downtown Orlando.

"I'm all in for the SunRail," said Heckel. "I actually sold my car right before the SunRail began so I didn't have to worry about my car payments, gas and insurance. The whole nine yards, so we're saving a whole lot of money."
To me, that sounds amazing. It's great that SunRail would already seem like such a good transportation option to some, that they would completely get rid of their car already now (with all the limitations still existing, like no weekend service etc). I would not have expected to read a story like that. This is exactly the stories though that many might think should be one of the goals of new rail service, here it is also interesting to read that the person was actually able to walk within 5 minutes from their home to the rail station. Such walkability should also be the goal of more transit-oriented development along the route's stations, and luckily nearly all of the cities involved already have concrete plans for transit-oriented development around the station locations.

In addition, in the video coverage featured on the same page, it is being said that SunRail might possibly add a third car to the consists (does SunRail currently even have enough rolling stock for that?) and that "tweaks" might be conducted if passenger demand stays this high also in revenue service (now one could wonder, could "tweaks" mean more scheduled morning or mid-day runs?). It seems like it could be interesting to continue to follow the future developments regarding SunRail... :)

See and read here: http://www.wesh.com/news/sunrail-adds-chase-trains-to-ease-overcrowding/25830138

The real test is going to be when the free promotion thing goes away (is it free rides, or just $2 off? The article isn't clear). I hope they have high ridership, but I have a suspicion that it won't be the crush numbers they're seeing now.

The real test is going to be when the free promotion thing goes away (is it free rides, or just $2 off? The article isn't clear).
That is correct, that paragraph of the article was not clear.

All rides are free, up to May 16. Starting May 19, regular fares have to be paid ($2 base one-way fare, plus additional $1 for every county line crossed).

In my humble opinion, this is already a real test, because it would be great if both the commuters on their ride to work and the people just trying it out for fun had a good experience now during the free ride period. So I wish that there won't be many more of those delays, and cars won't be so overcrowded that riders cannot get on, because from public comments or social media it seems like some already quit the idea of using SunRail, because when they did or wanted to, it did not work out so well, and that would be sad, so of course it's good to see that the Florida Department of Transportation is dealing with all the feedback they got.

And when the free ride period ends, then IMO it's the real rest test. ;) It seems like it would be really important that service works without delays and hiccups, because now when commuters exhausted from work come home hours late due to delays, one can say, at least it was for free, but for a revenue service, the frustrations then would possibly be even greater.

My wife, currently in Florida, told how she saw the SunRail trains all over the place, but she has not had a chance to ride it yet, and I wondered if maybe that's ok when she will try it later, as with the overcrowding and possible delays she might experience now, she's possibly gonna get a better experience at a later point of time. ;)

I hope they have high ridership, but I have a suspicion that it won't be the crush numbers they're seeing now.
Yesterday there was a blog entry by the Orlando Business Journal with the ridership numbers for the first 5 days:

Estimated boardings Thursday, May 1: 10,819

Estimated boardings Friday, May 2: 10,496Estimated boardings Monday, May 5: 8,586

Estimated boardings Tuesday, May 6: 9,761

Estimated boardings Wednesday, May 7: 10,437
source:

By the numbers: A look at SunRail’s first five days of service

May 8, 2014, 11:49am EDT

by Megan Ribbens, Web Producer-Orlando Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2014/05/by-the-numbers-a-look-at-sunrail-s-first-five-days.html

The "suspicion that it won't be the crush numbers" seen now, once revenue numbers starts, is probably correct, still many might think SunRail will at least reach the passenger numbers originally estimated, and then by many, SunRail might already be considered a success. :)

There's going to be at least some effect, since "free" will always attract more interest than even a nominal cost.

That said, I do wonder if there might not be some pressure for Sunrail to look into buying another few cars to run longer sets if demand holds reasonably well.

Back