Freight Derailment disrupts Capitol Limited 2/3/23

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based on the fact that they’ve already moved 4 of the 5 vinyl chloride tankers, I imagine service will be restored more quickly than I expected - given how important that route is to NS it’ll probably be a “dump everything to the side and quickly put down new rail, get a more permanent fix later”

Based on the fact that they’ve already moved 4 of the 5 vinyl chloride tankers, I imagine service will be restored more quickly than I expected - given how important that route is to NS it’ll probably be a “dump everything to the side and quickly put down new rail, get a more permanent fix later”
I wonder if NS will get forced to mitigate and deal with the contamination now.

There was press being really dumb and hounding the fire chief on a date people could return. Clearly stated we don't know and are trying to get a date or threshold to allow people to return.

I wonder if NS will get forced to mitigate and deal with the contamination now.

There was press being really dumb and hounding the fire chief on a date people could return. Clearly stated we don't know and are trying to get a date or threshold to allow people to return.

Pretty sure the local volunteer fire chief is not the current in charge. At this point a incident commander has taken over. General speaking a fire chief would be top dog, at certain point emergency management, police, fire, EMS, and local, county, and state officials get together. Then a incident command is pick depending on the nature of events. In this case you think a State Fire Marshal, State Trooper, or a State Emergency Manger.

Pretty sure the local volunteer fire chief is not the current in charge. At this point a incident commander has taken over. General speaking a fire chief would be top dog, at certain point emergency management, police, fire, EMS, and local, county, and state officials get together. Then a incident command is pick depending on the nature of events. In this case you think a State Fire Marshal, State Trooper, or a State Emergency Manger.
While he isn't in charge hes been one of the main people speaking at the press conferences.

Update: 29/30 still cancelled tonight (7th) and tomorrow (8th). 29/30 were both zeroed on the 9th. (for the uninitiated: this sales were prevented in Arrow in situations where a train will likely cancel) but were both recently returned to sale.

That seems to be the NS Way. Years after a major freight derailment at PA's Horseshoe Curve, everything dumped to the side is STILL there west of the Curve.

"Hot Box" would be something to do with an axle since it refers to what amount to a broken bearing, which causes the axle to overheat and then the bearing mount to disintegrate unless the train stops before that comes to pass, causing a derailment.

This is relatively unusual in properly inspected roller bearings these days, but was much more common in pre-roller bearing times with the friction bearings that were lubricated using grease and cotton waste, which tended to catch fire if something went wrong. I remember back in the days trains were carefully inspected for such at each major stop back in India. Each axle was checked. Nothing of the sort is done with roller bearings. They are checked once a day typically.
Hot boxes before roller bearings and wayside detectors were so common that anyone who worked around a rail line was encouraged to learn the hand signal that indicated that a hot box had been spotted. The signal would be given to the rear brakeman or conductor as the train passed.

The main north-south freight line on the east coast of the US (CSX) passes right through downtown Baltimore in a tunnel that was built in the 1890s. (This is the Howard Street Tunnel, not the B&P Tunnel that Amtrak uses.) Back in 2001, a train in the tunnel caught fire. That was a real mess. Closed off downtown Baltimore for a while. Really messed up my commute. There were toxic chemicals involved in that one, too. I really wish they'd build a freight bypass through the industrial areas around the harbor so that all the long trains full of hazardous stuff are rolling around right through the heart of the city.

Last edited:
I just watched #30 pass a railcam in Indiana. I'm assuming service through the affected area has been restored, or will it terminate before it reaches the area?

(Unrelated: the #30 I saw pass the railcam had an ALC42 charger behind the P42 leader)
Well, if it’s got a charger on it, that thing could terminate at any second ;) That said, ASM and Arrow seem to indicate it’ll run through.

Interesting article there, @Rover .

I know that usually with derailments, it is easy to point the finger; however, this is a good share of the concerns after the derailment. It definitely does leave the question open if opening that line when they did was a good idea or not.

"Hot Box" would be something to do with an axle since it refers to what amount to a broken bearing, which causes the axle to overheat and then the bearing mount to disintegrate unless the train stops before that comes to pass, causing a derailment.

This is relatively unusual in properly inspected roller bearings these days, but was much more common in pre-roller bearing times with the friction bearings that were lubricated using grease and cotton waste, which tended to catch fire if something went wrong. I remember back in the days trains were carefully inspected for such at each major stop back in India. Each axle was checked. Nothing of the sort is done with roller bearings. They are checked once a day typically.
would seem like a task that is relatively simple to automate using an IR camera trackside.

would seem like a task that is relatively simple to automate using an IR camera trackside.
A hotbox detector (part of the standard trsck mounted defective equipment detector) did detect this problem but apparently not in time for it to be avoided. Perhaps indicates the need for more frequent placement of defective equipment detectors.

Last edited:
Or we can add a hot box detector on each railcar. Something like we have on (some) passenger equipment or even on (some) tractor trailers.

The cost benefit ratio is key.

I burned off a axle once. I identify the problem and had it repaired. About two hours later I was throwing out bearings. Red hot ones, on a rainy night. Stop again and this time had a axle surgeon rebuild the axle and deliver one full day late.

This type of issue is rare event both in railroads and trucking.

However in railroads a non-hazmat railcar can derail a train that contains hazmats. So requiring hazmats to have onboard hot box detectors only will work with a all hazmat train. The cost of operation a stand alone train will be impressive.

Required line side hot box detectors ever one mile might work too, at a high cost. Of course any space between detectors might be enough to cause a derailment.

https://apnews.com/article/politics...nia-business-a686a906bc165d890097646b77412b1d
Those attending Wednesday’s informational session, originally billed as a town hall meeting, had many questions over health hazards, and they demanded more transparency from railroad operator Norfolk Southern, which did not attend, citing safety concerns for its staff.

“They just danced around the questions a lot,” said Danielle Deal, who lives a few miles from the derailment site. “Norfolk needed to be here.”

In a statement, Norfolk Southern said it didn’t attend alongside local, state and federal officials because of a “growing physical threat to our employees and members of the community around this event.”

Last edited:
https://apnews.com/article/politics...nia-business-a686a906bc165d890097646b77412b1d
Those attending Wednesday’s informational session, originally billed as a town hall meeting, had many questions over health hazards, and they demanded more transparency from railroad operator Norfolk Southern, which did not attend, citing safety concerns for its staff.

“They just danced around the questions a lot,” said Danielle Deal, who lives a few miles from the derailment site. “Norfolk needed to be here.”

In a statement, Norfolk Southern said it didn’t attend alongside local, state and federal officials because of a “growing physical threat to our employees and members of the community around this event.”
Corporate Responsibility in all its Glory!🤬

Back