Freight Trains In Europe

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CSXfoamer1997

OBS Chief
How come trains in Europe are not as long as the ones you see in Australia or here in the USA?

Trains in the USA can often run between 50 and 200 cars, sometimes there are 200+ cars, but usually less than 200.

But trains in Europe, the UK for example, are limited to 20 to 50 cars (wagons).

I have no clue, but maybe because the countries in Europe are so much smaller than the USA or Australia, they don't need long trains?

As I recall (citation needed) a much larger percentage of freight is transported in Europe by truck than in the United States, a larger percentage by water/ship and less raw material transport as well. In addition, passenger rail has priority hence the need for shorter freight trains to be out of the way. I recall there are videos somewhere on YouTube of fast freight overtaking an express passenger train in Austria.

Europe also has a huge and thriving waterborne cargo network using its network of rivers and canals, much more so than in the US which makes the use of railways for freight somewhat less important.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something also to remember is their freight trains fly. I've seen them above the century mark before or close to it. They also tend to follow a schedule

Back