Freight Trains Still Rolling Despite Coronavirus Slowdowns

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trainman74

Conductor
L.A. Times article about the current state of freight railroading in Southern California:

The sounds of traffic and airplanes have quieted across much of Los Angeles County and California as health orders keep people indoors.

But if you listen closely, you’ll still hear the whistle of trains as they cart and transport food, consumer products, chemicals and livestock to and from manufacturers, stores and ports across the country.

Link to full article: Freight industry takes hits during the pandemic, but the trains keep chugging along

I watch some of the live train cams - most are freight trains but the ones I watch also have Amtrak.

Though the freight traffic has slowed a bit, it has not stopped.

Right now the cameras at Santa Fe Junction in Kansas City are down due to construction on the building where the cameras are - but La Plata has been quite busy. (The SWC stops here)

I watch some of the live train cams - most are freight trains but the ones I watch also have Amtrak.

Though the freight traffic has slowed a bit, it has not stopped.

Right now the cameras at Santa Fe Junction in Kansas City are down due to construction on the building where the cameras are - but La Plata has been quite busy. (The SWC stops here)
Watching truckee, flagstaff, Elkhart .

I live close enough to a NS main line that has been busy over the years with freight traffic so that I can often hear the train's horn as it approaches two crossings near each other. I wonder how many trains/day, if any, there now are. I haven't heard any horns for some time.

Back