From Austin to Tacoma

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caro

Train Attendant
Some may remember my anxious questions on a Sunset forum about delays and missed connections so I thought I would let anyone interested know what a great trip I had - aided by hints and tips on the various forums. I’d started off worrying not only about a possible same day missed connection at LAX but also difficult Amtrak staff, ignorance of rules and procedures and so on. But I had a fantastic trip starting on the Texas Eagle through to LAX via a connection with the Sunset then switching same day to the Coast Startlight.specifically:

1. All Amtrak staff were welcoming and helpful to an Amtrak newby and foreigner to boot.I would mention In particular the stationmaster at Austin who reassured me and arranged for my luggage to be checked through to Tacoma (and yes, it did despite my fears, arrive along with me) Christie my SCA from San Antonio through to LAX and who went above and beyond to bring to me in the LAX Met lounge my coat which I had stupidly left on the train, Lorna my SCA on the Starlight who, like Christie, answered the call button promptly to put my bed up and down (I was in a bedroom) and kept the coffee and orange juice topped up in the sleeping car, the diner at staff on the Starlight who struggled manfully to feed everyone on a jam packed pre Thanksgiving train, keeping the dining car open beyond normal hours to get everyone fed and the baggage handler at Tacoma who helped me find my bag along as I alighted along with 90 other passengers.

2. food was surprisingly good particularly on the Sunset with seemingly fresh cooked salmon and steak. The flourless chocolate cake was amazing! Food a little less fresh tasting on the Starlight, seemed to be more precooked/reheated and they ran out of more stuff but again maybe linked to the crowded train preThanksgiving, particularly after Sacramento. Table sharing was broadly enjoyable particularly for me as a solo passenger, with one slight exception.

3. My bedroom was great - more than enough room for a solo. I was extremely grateful I hadn’t had a roomette which appeared minute even for one let alone two. The in-room shower worked reasonably well on the Sunset ( I took the hint to shower during station stops, avoiding being catapulted through the door on rough track!) that on the Starlight seemed a bit smaller and more awkward. The bedrooms appeared clean though that on the Starlight had a sticky feel around the table area - use of Lysol wipes conveniently left at the end of the car established that the surface was very grubby indeed leading me to do Amtrak the favour of cleaning down all surfaces!) Following forum advice I was carrying wooden wedges (stretcher inserts for artists canvases pressed into alternate service) and masking tape both of which were deployed on the Starlight to prevent rattles and draughts. I slept well on both trains maybe due to being upstairs and in a C or D bedroom. The wail of the train horn didn’t bother me one jot (you can tell I’m a train buff) I enjoyed the romance of it whilst being far enough away from the engine for it not to keep me awake

4. I loved the scenery , less dramatic on the Sunset but no less interesting for all that and beautiful in its own way particularly at sunrise and sunset in glorious clear sunny weather with special views out of the back of the sleeper car which was last after the TE split at San Antonio. I was astonished by the muddy trickle of the Rio Grande, expected something far deeper, ditto by the “wall”. Highlights had to be the coast at Santa Barbara, the climb above San Luis Obispo, snow in the Oregon pines and the sight of four bald eagles on the lakeshore after Klamath Falls.

would I do it again after four days three nights on the trains? Absolutely Yes I would and am already eyeing the Empire Builder or the South West Chief. There is however a but : I was disappointed that the parlour car had gone from the Starlight and am dismayed to read of the progressive whittling away of the facilities on the long distance trains. Remove the diner or the observation cars and these trains become less attractive to those like me who travel a long way to ride the trains as a holiday experience. Big up the luxury as well as the stunning scenery of these special trains and surely sleeper tourists could be charged more with the option of a more economic option in other parts of the train for those who simply want to travel from A to B as cheaply as possible? My impression is that, the Californian Zephyr apart, the trains are not well known or indeed promoted for example in the UK my home country. Is this an opportunity missed?

Thanks for the trip report, Caro! I think one reason Amtrak doesn't advertise much is that they are short on equipment, and really can't handle many more passengers at busy times.

Glad you had a great trip,thanks for sharing your adventure with us!

And all of the Agents in Austin ( my Home Station) are really great, we just got a New One to replace one who moved to San Antonio and they are fitting right in with the Austin Crew!

As for the Texax Eagle and Sunset( my first Train as a Baby), they are the Trains I ride the most, glad you enjoyed them!

We too miss the Pacific Parlor Cars on the Starlight!

The California Zephyr is a must ride Train ( between Denver and Eneryville heading West is the Best direction to travel), and the Chief and the Builder are also great rides as is the Canadian between Toronto and Vancouver!( go in Winter, much less crowded and much cheaper!!!)

Back