From Holland to California

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I first saw this post title, I wondered whether it was from Holland, MI or the Netherlands. Would have guessed the former (there is an Amtrak station on the Pere Marquette line in Holland, MI, and I lived there as a kid), but turns out it’s the latter! Interested to seeing the different trains (and presumably a plane, unless there‘s somehow a very long boat ride) you end up taking, Definitely don’t have high speed rail in Holland, MI - just one train per day to Chicago…

This trip in Europe is by Thalys mostly; only on my way back I have an InterCity Brussel train. Sorry. 😉
I've just collected my ticket at Bruxelles Midi station an am on my way back to the Netherlands, to Schiphol airport.
20220930_183655~2.jpg
I took an earlier train and don't want to go hunting for a seat, so vestibule it is!
20220930_190422.jpg
No boating planned in this vacation...

Flying to Chicago.
Texas Eagle to LAX.
(Swimming to San Diego, I fear...)
Going back via Fullerton to Chicago by Southwest Chief.
Flying to Paris, Thalys to Bruxelles, ICB to Rotterdam, 20 minutes subway and a ten minute walk back home.
Pretty straight forward this time.

But my wife goes to Berlin later in October when I'm working again, so she can do fun thing, too. 😉

At the airport/shopping mall I bought a dinner salat ar the supermarket.
My hotel at Schiphol (Maxhotel) was near the airport, just a five minute €=$1,67 bus ride. Busses running every five to ten minutes.
The room was small but efficient, booked in advance for €72.
IMG-20220930-WA0000.jpeg

I upgraded my seat from Economy to KLM Premium Comfort in the app with points. KLM economy on a Boeing 787-10 is 3+3+3 seating. Doable but not comfortabel. Premium Comfort is new on KLM an is, I think, comparable to US domestic first class.
20221001_115921.jpg
Seating is 2+3+2, my middle seat remained empty.
Oh, and this travel class also comes with fast lane securety check.

The flight left with about twenty minutes delay, food was good. I tried to nap a bit.

The aircraft landed after about eight hours in Chicago. The lines at security were rather short, so within an hour after landing I was at my hotel.
And after a short walk in the neighbourhood I turned in early.

Sunday morning I took the airport transit train to terminal 2 and changed to CTA. Today they were accepting passengers on the lower level:20221002_090940.jpg

At Clark/Lake I changed to the Pink line to Quincy which followed this Midway train:
20221002_100759.jpg

I dumped my back pack in the lounge and took a walk to Lake Michigan, via Roosevelt Road and a Whole Foods backto the station.

After a few minutes I lined up and boarded the Texas Eagle.

This train was made of engine 58, sleeper, dinette, bagcoach, coach, St.Louis coach.

Engine had some scar tissue, but engineer seemed happy enough.
20221002_161121.jpg

20221002_161201.jpg
Got me a hot water, tipped a dollar and asked if I could sit in 'my' marked booth in his car, which was ok for Chip, the café car attendant.
So there I drank my tea. The car attendants who set up business at the four dinertables closest to the counter made some comments, but no further problems.
Food at dinner was not as bad as expected, but still disappointing. The attendant however was very friendly and active. He had set up the booths for everyone by room number. Served out salats, cleaned the tables, served the food, served extra drinks and let us sit while he started serving coach passengers.
20221003_115130.jpg

Attachments

• 20221002_102138.jpg
    20221002_102138.jpg
    833 KB · Views: 0
Sunday morning I took the airport transit train to terminal 2 and changed to CTA. Today they were accepting passengers on the lower level:View attachment 29803

At Clark/Lake I changed to the Pink line to Quincy which followed this Midway train:
View attachment 29804

I dumped my back pack in the lounge and took a walk to Lake Michigan, via Roosevelt Road and a Whole Foods backto the station.

After a few minutes I lined up and boarded the Texas Eagle.

This train was made of engine 58, sleeper, dinette, bagcoach, coach, St.Louis coach.

Engine had some scar tissue, but engineer seemed happy enough.
View attachment 29806

View attachment 29807
Got me a hot water, tipped a dollar and asked if I could sit in 'my' marked booth in his car, which was ok for Chip, the café car attendant.
So there I drank my tea. The car attendants who set up business at the four dinertables closest to the counter made some comments, but no further problems.
Food at dinner was not as bad as expected, but still disappointing. The attendant however was very friendly and active. He had set up the booths for everyone by room number. Served out salats, cleaned the tables, served the food, served extra drinks and let us sit while he started serving coach passengers.
View attachment 29808
Look what they've done to my Train Ma!🥺

Flying to Chicago.
Texas Eagle to LAX.
(Swimming to San Diego, I fear...)
Going back via Fullerton to Chicago by Southwest Chief.
Flying to Paris, Thalys to Bruxelles, ICB to Rotterdam, 20 minutes subway and a ten minute walk back home.
Pretty straight forward this time.

But my wife goes to Berlin later in October when I'm working again, so she can do fun thing, too. 😉
You won’t have to swim to San Diego - while the Surfliner has suspended service between Irvine and Oceanside, they are running trains LA-Irvine with a bus bridge to Oceanside where you reboard the train to San Diego. Your departure from LA may have changed, though, as there are only 4 round-trips all the way to San Diego…

The train left Temple right on time, but because of freight traffic, we're about an hour late in Austin, Texas:

20221003_193753.jpg

20221003_193710.jpg
Edit:
20221003_200321.jpg

Most of the time I had my own booth in the diner, but this evening I was sat together with Liz and Larry. It is their first time on Amtrak.

Last edited:
The Cros Country Café Car has WiFi, unlike the Sunset Limited...

The San Antonio shuffle was done swiftly, although it felt as if we got a few bumps extra, just for fun.

The trip was rather uneventfull, which was great.
El Paso.
20221004_141735.jpg

I talked with Liz an Larry, a just retired veteran from Oklahoma. First time travelers. They liked the food (on the Sunset Limited) and the observation car.
I also spoke with "Eric", also an US veteran, but born in Iceland. He just escaped hospital, had money to burn, took Amtrak for the first time too, and liked it also.
Here Visual Railfan captured me talking with him in Tuscon.
Screenshot_20221005-063220_YouTube.jpg

The train arrived a bit late in Los Angeles. As Amtrak couldn't get me on time in San Diego, I cancelled my rental car there and took a train to Lancaster and back.
20221005_115029.jpg

The plan at this moment is, to go to Long Beach and take Flixbus on Friday morning to San Diego.

And there I can worry about my bus 3281 to Irvine and the rest of my trip back...

Back