From the Corn to the Coast

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do love this trip report! Sassy, adventurous, amusing, snarky at times (in a good way), and great pictures! I would love to see the photo with the wine and the mountins, though... (hint, hint).

Thanks so much, and I am looking forward to your next trip so I can read about it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, such high praise! I'm glad you guys enjoy it!

ALSO I LEFT OUT ONE CRUCIAL THING! Oh man!

IMG_0923.jpg

I got mooned on the way back! Trip officially perfect.

Edit: Oh, and I would put up the wine picture but it got deleted off my phone. Sorry Oregon Pioneer! :lol:

Fantastic trip report! Your writing style is a hilarious combination of illustrative and gently sarcastic. Loved it!

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

The rail draw bridge near Martinez opens for the bulk materials ships heading to/from the ports of Sacramento and Stockton. It is over Suisun Bay. There used to be a ferry there and you can still see a few of the pilings where the docks used to be. At the Benicia (north) end of the bridge there used to be a large mothball fleet but it is shrinking as the ships that leak and pollute get removed and dismantled.

The bridge you photographed is the "new" (2003) Carquinez Bridge between Crockett and Vallejo. It carries I-80. The Crockett depot (now used by historical society) is on the inland side of the train just about where you took that photo, after you came out of the 1906 C&H Sugar factory (high brick walls on both sides of the tracks). Raw material comes in by ship and processed products leave by rail. They still sound the steam whistle at noon.

The rail draw bridge near Martinez opens for the bulk materials ships heading to/from the ports of Sacramento and Stockton. It is over Suisun Bay. There used to be a ferry there and you can still see a few of the pilings where the docks used to be. At the Benicia (north) end of the bridge there used to be a large mothball fleet but it is shrinking as the ships that leak and pollute get removed and dismantled.

The bridge you photographed is the "new" (2003) Carquinez Bridge between Crockett and Vallejo. It carries I-80. The Crockett depot (now used by historical society) is on the inland side of the train just about where you took that photo, after you came out of the 1906 C&H Sugar factory (high brick walls on both sides of the tracks). Raw material comes in by ship and processed products leave by rail. They still sound the steam whistle at noon.
Just now saw this! I saw the sugar factory, but didn't notice it until the return trip when their great big sign was lit up! If that's an old sign that's a great piece of Americana!

Back