Fully staffed stations on days with no train service?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jccollins

Conductor
Did the Amtrak stations division not get the memo that all the long distance trains now only run three days a week?

Most long-distance only Amtrak stations have not had their daily ticket office or waiting room hours changed despite now being open many days of the week that have absolutely no scheduled service...

Salt Lake City, Utah shows remaining open 10pm to 5am DAILY: Salt Lake City, UT - Amtrak Station (SLC) | Amtrak
But actually only has trains stopping there three of those seven nights (both directions of the Zephyr arrive/depart the same nights of the week).

This seems to be the case at many locations across the country.

But then look at San Jose, California San Jose, CA - Diridon Station (SJC) | Amtrak
They trimmed their Monday through Friday hours back quite a bit, AND decided to close on weekends. This leaves the station locked up and unstaffed when the southbound Starlight rolls through Sunday mornings. And leaves the facility completely locked up and unstaffed (albeit still quite busy) on the weekends when numerous other Capitol and San Joaquin trains/motorcoaches still serve the stations. I know the state is involved here, but it definitely raises the question...

Are the lights on but nobody's home? Or no one cares? Are people really getting paid to make these decisions?

The other problem is it is not so easy to make a schedule for employees to match the train schedule. I don't know if the clerk's union would willingly accept the schedule necessary for that. Put yourself into their place...would you like to work a job only three days a week, and then not even have them consecutively?
You could say: take it, or leave it.
I suppose it would be better to have that, then be furloughed...

For some reason, Toledo is only open 10:30 pm to 6:30 am every day except Tuesday. It may just Ben to allow people to purchase tickets.

Did the Amtrak stations division not get the memo that all the long distance trains now only run three days a week?

Most long-distance only Amtrak stations have not had their daily ticket office or waiting room hours changed despite now being open many days of the week that have absolutely no scheduled service...

Salt Lake City, Utah shows remaining open 10pm to 5am DAILY: Salt Lake City, UT - Amtrak Station (SLC) | Amtrak
But actually only has trains stopping there three of those seven nights (both directions of the Zephyr arrive/depart the same nights of the week).

This seems to be the case at many locations across the country.

But then look at San Jose, California San Jose, CA - Diridon Station (SJC) | Amtrak
They trimmed their Monday through Friday hours back quite a bit, AND decided to close on weekends. This leaves the station locked up and unstaffed when the southbound Starlight rolls through Sunday mornings. And leaves the facility completely locked up and unstaffed (albeit still quite busy) on the weekends when numerous other Capitol and San Joaquin trains/motorcoaches still serve the stations. I know the state is involved here, but it definitely raises the question...

Are the lights on but nobody's home? Or no one cares? Are people really getting paid to make these decisions?
That may be a good sign that Amtrak doesn't plan on making the tri-weekly cutbacks permanent.

Put yourself into their place...would you like to work a job only three days a week, and then not even have them consecutively?
You could say: take it, or leave it.
I suppose it would be better to have that, then be furloughed...

My family members are having to deal with just that. That's reality of today (Pandemic 2.0). They technically have a working job, but with greatly reduced hours. IMHO, this is the new norm, and will be for a long time.

Just to note that they were furloughed for a while back in the early spring (Pandemic 1.0). At that time, they were actually making more money (state unemployment + federal bonus).

Back