Future Amtrak sleeper?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

basketmaker

Lead Service Attendant
Does anyone remember the Budd "Sleepercoach", with very small single rooms in kind of a staggered, interlocked design. There also a few double rooms in the car. They came out in the 1950s and were sold as a premium form of coach; a first class ticket was not required. About a half dozen railroads used them. Illinois Railway Museum has an example.
I think you're referring to the "Slumbercoach". Husband and I had single rooms on the LSL back and forth from CUS to BOS. A bit cramped for one but doable. The car went on to NYP so we had to ride coach from ALB into BOS. We took a regional from BOS to NYC and walk to NYP in a snow storm so we would have a room all the way back to CUS. Also good thing we did since a blizzard rolled into Boston right after we left. Maureen Stapleton was in one of the bedrooms in the same car. She was very nice and friendly but she wasn't a great traveler. She started the next morning off in the Lounge car downing a few Boilermakers. Other than being 5 hours late since the BOS-ALB leg hit a car stuck at a crossing in the blizzard sadly killing 3 of 4 teens. Overall the trip was normal.

railiner

Engineer
By AmDay there were very few American trains offering open sections, mostly only on trains having cars in which sections were combined with other accommodation types, like CP(VIA)'s Manor and Chateau sleepers. The only train I know for sure offered up them right up to 4/30/71 was UP's Salt Lake City-Butte "Butte Special".
The UP cars assigned to that service were real gems...they even had a tiny "dining room" and a grill.:cool:

Would Amtrak view lie-flat seats as too much competition with the cash cow of their sleeper offerings?
No. It opens up a whole new revenue stream. My wife is going RT from Florida to Boston later next month. She has a choice of Amtrak coach for about $300 or roomette for $1400! Something in between is definitely necessary. Most people will not pay that fare. Those mini-suites would be ideal. BTW - Frontier Airlines was offering RT specials starting at $85!

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
No. It opens up a whole new revenue stream. My wife is going RT from Florida to Boston later next month. She has a choice of Amtrak coach for about $300 or roomette for $1400! Something in between is definitely necessary. Most people will not pay that fare. Those mini-suites would be ideal. BTW - Frontier Airlines was offering RT specials starting at $85!
Such a difficult choice! NOT!!!