Gas prices where you are located?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTANut

Service Attendant
I live in a part of the US where gas is relatively inexpensive. I filled up today for $3.70 a gallon, using a $0.20 per gallon discount. It cost $73 to fill up my tank. How much is gas where you are at, and what do you pay to fill up your tank? I remember two years ago when gas was $1.09 at that same station. At that time, I could fill up my tank for a little over $20. What was the cheapest gas you saw recently (within the past 5 years)?

One gas station that I use went from $4.15/gallon last week to $3.99/gallon this week. I fill up around the 1/2 tank mark and that's been in the low to mid $20's range lately.

It just broke $2.00 per litre here in my (SE) bit of Oz - I can't tell you what that is in farenheit or bushells, or ounces, or whatever it is you use, but it's up a fair bit from the $1.30 or so I thought was a bit dear.

When I started taking note of prices, I was buying at 6.9 cents per litre, but - to be fair - I was quite a bit younger :)

It just broke $2.00 per litre here in my (SE) bit of Oz - I can't tell you what that is in farenheit or bushells, or ounces, or whatever it is you use, but it's up a fair bit from the $1.30 or so I thought was a bit dear.

When I started taking note of prices, I was buying at 6.9 cents per litre, but - to be fair - I was quite a bit younger :)
$5.60/gallon. I assume that by "$" you mean Australian Dollars and not U.S. Dollars? I admit that I had to look up where "Oz" is…

Last week it was 5.29 at the gas station across the street from the university main gate. Friday down to 4.99 (and 9/10s!---why was that bizarre pricing ever adopted for gasoline, since we've never had a unit of legal tender that was a tenth of a penny.) Still high enough to make me take public transportation to and from work--my senior ORCA card charges me a dollar a ride including transfers.

On Thursday, I filled the tank for $4.09, which was about 10 cents less than the other gas stations in the area. I think the prices have come down a bit, and they're going to come down more if the Maryland "gas tax holiday" gets enacted. It seems sort of silly for me, as the state gas tax is about 30 cents a gallon, which means that one would only get a $3.00 savings a 10-gallon fill-up, which is a ~$35 purchase. And all that tax money that helps maintain and build roads and transit is forgone. The better thing would have been to give a gas tax credit to people below a certain income for whom the increased gas prices really are a financial burden. The rest of us can afford to suck it up and pay the extra $3.00.

By the way, this was the first time I had paid over $4.00 a gallon since 2008, when I was in Alpine, Texas, and had to fill up my tank after my visit to Big Bend National Park. Gas was pretty cheap in San Antonio, but not in Alpine, which I guess is at the end of the supply chain.

In my town it's at $4.49, which is what it's been for the last couple of weeks. Our gas here in the state of Washington is a bit higher than some places because taxes on gas here are a bit higher than other places. The most I've paid to fill the tank was around $36.00.

For diesel we were at 2.38 € per liter (that's almost exactly 10 US$ per gallon) earlier this week - twice as much as it was two years ago. Other gasoline is about 5 cents less. Might have gone down a bit over the week.

I live in a part of the US where gas is relatively inexpensive. I filled up today for $3.70 a gallon, using a $0.20 per gallon discount. It cost $73 to fill up my tank. How much is gas where you are at, and what do you pay to fill up your tank? I remember two years ago when gas was $1.09 at that same station. At that time, I could fill up my tank for a little over $20. What was the cheapest gas you saw recently (within the past 5 years)?
We paid $5.31 2 days ago at our SoCal station, regular unleaded gas. I don't recall the cheapest local gas. But we visited my daughter, her husband, and grandsons in Copperas Cove TX Christmas of 2020 and it was $1.87.

BTW, other local stations were at, over, or approaching $6.00 and all were over $6.00 for diesel.

In Boston the price of regular dropped to around $4.15/gallon, with some lower if you check on Gas Buddy.

Luckily, on the days that I don't work from home, I ride the T to and from work, so the affect on our budget has been minimal with the car just used on weekends.

Ken

On Thursday, I filled the tank for $4.09, which was about 10 cents less than the other gas stations in the area. I think the prices have come down a bit, and they're going to come down more if the Maryland "gas tax holiday" gets enacted. It seems sort of silly for me, as the state gas tax is about 30 cents a gallon, which means that one would only get a $3.00 savings a 10-gallon fill-up, which is a ~$35 purchase. And all that tax money that helps maintain and build roads and transit is forgone. The better thing would have been to give a gas tax credit to people below a certain income for whom the increased gas prices really are a financial burden. The rest of us can afford to suck it up and pay the extra $3.00.

By the way, this was the first time I had paid over $4.00 a gallon since 2008, when I was in Alpine, Texas, and had to fill up my tank after my visit to Big Bend National Park. Gas was pretty cheap in San Antonio, but not in Alpine, which I guess is at the end of the supply chain.
Yep, as you know Alpine is a Long Haul from everywhere else, so stuff has to be shipped in via Truck or Train.

The going price here in Austin for Gas is around $3.89 to $4.00 a Gallon depending on the Location of the Station.

Diesel is quite a bit higher and the City has jacked up Electricity Prices , so charging Electric Vehicles has become pricier too!

Prices have stabilized here as Oil prices have gone down, but haven't decreases here since Tourist Season is in full bloom and the Roads are jammed even more than normal!

Lowest Ivexseen Gas here in the past 5 years was around $1.79 a Gallon.

Last edited:
I saw $5.65 for diesel cash on a truck stop billboard the other day! Luckily I sold my diesel truck and bought a little two seater stick a few years back.

Honestly, though, since I only buy gas when I need it, and when I need it the cost of recovering from running out greatly outweighs the cost of whatever I pay to avoid that, I mostly don’t even look at the price at the pump. Doesn’t mean I don’t care!

OTOH, I still remember filling up my dad’s old beater when I was still a teenager in the late 50s and I paid $.19/gallon!

Gas price in my local area range from $4.26 to 4.45. Last month was about $3.44 in my frequent local station. Sadly, most of southern Idaho area get fuel from Salt Lake City while northern Idahoans are bickering at Washington politicians for attempting to charge $0.05 tax per gallon to transport across Washington to Idaho market.

Back