Gas prices where you are located?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At age 6 gasoline was $0199 at Gulf station. Also had a sign Gulf card honored. Could not figure that out Did not even know what a gas credit card was. or even any credit card. AM EX was not in our neck of the woods.

I do remember when the cheapest grade of Sunoco was $0.28 and buying 25 cents worth of gas one day (around 1969) to put enough in my VW beetle to get to my summer job, being a little short of cash that day. :D

Gas has come down a little here in Maine. I paid $4.09 recently and saw it as low as 4.05, that is regular pay not the debit pay. We tend to be a little higher than states around us due to gas tax and the distance to transport fuel here from the refineries.

Here in Bristol in the UK price for petrol at my local supermarket today is £1.647 per litre.

That works out at £6.2339 per US gallon which equates to about $8.10 per US gallon (and most "local" garages will be charging more than that).

Fortunately my annual mileage by car is only between 3000 and 4000 miles and I am getting about 50 miles per US gallon (60 miles per Imperial gallon) on my longer journeys.

Here in Bristol in the UK price for petrol at my local supermarket today is £1.647 per litre.

That works out at £6.2339 per US gallon which equates to about $8.10 per US gallon (and most "local" garages will be charging more than that).

Fortunately my annual mileage by car is only between 3000 and 4000 miles and I am getting about 50 miles per US gallon (60 miles per Imperial gallon) on my longer journeys.
Yes it must seem strange to Europeans the way we whine about $4 gas,
But remember you have good public transport there whereas many places in the US are car dependent and we have to drive much more.

I do remember when the cheapest grade of Sunoco was $0.28 and buying 25 cents worth of gas one day (around 1969) to put enough in my VW beetle to get to my summer job, being a little short of cash that day.
28¢ in 1969 would be around $2.23 today, which is close to what I was paying before Russia attacked Ukraine. The cheapest gas I remember was 89¢ in 1999, or the equivalent of 19¢ back in 1969.

Yes it must seem strange to Europeans the way we whine about $4 gas, But remember you have good public transport there whereas many places in the US are car dependent and we have to drive much more.
How does this make such whining any less absurd? Public transportation does not simply build itself and we can only reap what we sow.

Last edited:
But remember you have good public transport there whereas many places in the US are car dependent and we have to drive much more.
I understand your situation regarding the differences in public transport availability, and accept that I am fortunate in having just a 3 minute walk to my local bus stop.

I can get a (15 minute peak frequency) 25 minute bus journey into my mainline railway station where I can get train services (using connections) to all parts of the country. The downside, however, is that our rail prices can be pretty high - a walk up fare for me to London 120 miles away would cost me as much as an Amtrak coach fare from New York to Chicago but I do appreciate I am not comparing apples to apples.

Most of the stations here in MN hit $3.99 a couple weeks ago and stayed there (but didn't cross the $4 threshold that I saw.) They're starting to come back down now - I saw $3.89 and $3.94 this morning. Costco and similar stations have been cheaper, so sometimes we'll go there if we're nearby or it's an off-peak time.

It seems as though part of the reason gas prices are talked so much about is both because the price fluctuates a fair bit, and it's also the most heavily-advertised price in most people's lives - almost every gas station prominently displays what the price is of gas at that gas station, and there's nothing else that I can think of that advertises the price of something that frequently and that prominently.

But there are also many places in Britain and Europe that have lousy public transport. I suspect that the towns are arranged so that even if you have to drive, you don't have to drive so far every day just to do daily errands. I'd like to be able to only have to put 3,000 or 4,000 miles on my car every year.

But there are also many places in Britain and Europe that have lousy public transport. I suspect that the towns are arranged so that even if you have to drive, you don't have to drive so far every day just to do daily errands. I'd like to be able to only have to put 3,000 or 4,000 miles on my car every year.
That's very true - I lived in a town of around 30k in Sweden. The city bus service shut down in summer when school was out - it was essentially for school kids to get to school. There was a commuter bus service to the next city (around 50k, about 20/25 minutes away - I think that there may be rail now) and infrequent service to rural areas (also mainly school or long distance). And it was a railway town - the trains to Stockholm were bustling. Cycling and walking was easier, however, thanks to sidewalks and trails (usually paved and plowed) that went pretty much everywhere in the suburbs.

I do remember when the cheapest grade of Sunoco was $0.28 and buying 25 cents worth of gas one day (around 1969) to put enough in my VW beetle to get to my summer job, being a little short of cash that day. :D

Gas has come down a little here in Maine. I paid $4.09 recently and saw it as low as 4.05, that is regular pay not the debit pay. We tend to be a little higher than states around us due to gas tax and the distance to transport fuel here from the refineries.
I remember paying $0.35 for Sunoco 260 for my Fiat 850 in 1970. Cost me $2.80 to fill it when it was on fumes.

Regular unleaded was $3.99 last I checked. My commute is short and my conventional midsized sedan averages 32MPG in my real world driving so I'm not too fussed about the price in that sense. That said I hate the smog and smell from petrol and my next car will almost certainly be an electric vehicle of some sort. I hope the core market will start to shift soon. It would be great to buy something similar in size and price with improving economies of scale.

Last edited:
It's about $4.60 here in the Baltimore area. Fortunately, we have a hybrid, and I rarely buy more than 10 gallons for a fill-up. I'm sure glad I bought that hybrid back in 2017.

On my trip to South Carolina the week of April 17, the cost of gas on April 21 when I filled up the rental car prior to returning it was $3.80. Fortunately, I rented a Nissan Sentra which seems to have gas mileage as good as my hybrid SUV (Toyota RAV4 Hybrid).

$4.75 here in my SE Washington town, up from $4.49 just a week ago. Here in Washington our gas is going to be a little higher as we have no state income tax, so we tax anything else we can. I typically fill up twice a month, and usually when the tank is half full to begin with, so I don't use much gas. I figure the more I pay on items now, the less inheritance tax my heirs will have to pay.😀

I have been paying around $4/gal for premium in the Northeast US (varies, sometimes under $4 sometimes maybe $4.25, in NY+MA+VT). I came home to California this week - Bay Area where I grew up - and went to get gas today at Costco. Bearing in mind it is a good discount, I was pretty shocked to pay $5.89/gal for premium (91). Ugh.

I also read somewhere last week that one of the big oil companies - Shell maybe - reported their last quarter profit of $9 billion. So disgusting. (Confirmed Shell, also checked past qtr: "Exxon Mobil doubled profits to $5.48 billion. Chevron lifts profits to $6.2 billion. BP's first quarter profits highest in more than a decade. Shell's first quarter profits set record." Holy cannoli.)

I have been paying around $4/gal for premium in the Northeast US (varies, sometimes under $4 sometimes maybe $4.25, in NY+MA+VT). I came home to California this week - Bay Area where I grew up - and went to get gas today at Costco. Bearing in mind it is a good discount, I was pretty shocked to pay $5.89/gal for premium (91). Ugh.

I also read somewhere last week that one of the big oil companies - Shell maybe - reported their last quarter profit of $9 billion. So disgusting. (Confirmed Shell, also checked past qtr: "Exxon Mobil doubled profits to $5.48 billion. Chevron lifts profits to $6.2 billion. BP's first quarter profits highest in more than a decade. Shell's first quarter profits set record." Holy cannoli.)
Actual numbers that prove my Post #38 about Greed is indeed True!

We hit $2.00/litre today. Since there are basically 4 litres in a US gallon, with the dollar conversion that's around $6.20USD/gallon. A lot of that is tax of course, and we're about the middle of the pack when it comes to Canadian provinces. Diesel averages around 15% higher.

Back