Gathering day 2

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrakwolverine

Engineer
Woke up again at 5AM and stayed up. tried the in room coffee machine and it was OK. Went down with dick around 6:30AM for breakfast. Again I had scrambled eggs and bacon no omelet this time. Again AlanB his mother Bill Eric and others joined us. After breakfast Me penny jim and dick decided to walk to the gateway transportation center about a 1 mile walk. They streets were pre-paring for a bike rally so allot of streets were closed off and crowds getting ready. We beat the others to the station who took the metro. We had maybe a 10 minute wait before they pre-boarded us onto the train. We departed STL at 8:30AM and allot of people were lining the tracks along the route waiting for the challenger steam engine to make its run. The train would follow us since it was delayed due to being boxed in by freights in the yard. when we got the kirkwood allot of people got on heading to Oktoberfest.

The train would also fill up in Washington.Once the train arrived at hermann the ENTIRE train except our car emptied out so we almost had the whole train to ourselves. The bathrooms in our car ran out of water during the trip and on the return trip(same train) they locked the doors to the bathrooms in our car. I guess the coach car had a leak cause the carpet was wet by one of the bathrooms.The conductor gave alice a key to the bathroom though since she is in a wheel char so she could use it without going from car to car while the train was in motion.Later in the trip RRrich decided to ask if anyone wanted BBQ from some local place in Kansas city.and would pick up the order when we arrived. We made it into Kansas city about 10-20 minutes late. While on the layover I took pictures and videos and wandered around outside. Made it back into the station just in time for pre-boarding.

Once on board RRrich passed out or BBQ orders and it was a mess. The place didn't label the orders so he had to open each paper wrapped one and the paper was soaked. Allot of people ordered sides of beans and didn't get them or ordered 2 sandwiches and either got 1 or none. The sandwich while a heaping mess was good but hot spicy wise. I had a pulled pork sandwich with fries and a couple diet Pepsi to try and put out the fire in my mouth. Mrfss would be leaving us in st.Louis as he and his wife would be heading on to Branson and other stops and wouldn't be seeing us on Sunday. When the train got to hermann all the partyers for Oktoberfest got on and were drunk but luckily the conductors did not put them into our car. Throughout the rest of the trip they continued to hit the cafe car and get more beer etc. Almost all of the partyers got off at kurkwood the last stop before st.Louis and there were police out there probably making sure no one got behind the wheel. Some had trouble walking. When we got to STL me and Jerry exchanged my coach Texas eagle ticket for a sleeper ticket linked to his reservation. Me alan Joe alans mom had8ley and others decided to take the metro back to the hotel despite the fact that a hockey game let out and the platform was crowded but we managed to get on on the next train. We got off a couple stops later and walked the rest of the way to the hotel. pictures later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your report. It was nice meeting you. Have a nice trip back to Michigan.

Tonight's westbound MORR had a much smaller group of drunkards get on in Hermann (around 40). So far, only one arrest, but we still have a ways to go. That did get the attention of the group in my car... after that, they became much more subdued.

I had a great time and hope to see you all again at Gathering '11.

Tonight's westbound MORR had a much smaller group of drunkards get on in Hermann (around 40). So far, only one arrest, but we still have a ways to go. That did get the attention of the group in my car... after that, they became much more subdued.

I had a great time and hope to see you all again at Gathering '11.
I didn't know they allowed you to post to the Internet(s) from the county jail ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back