GBB to EMY insights

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Left GBB 4/9, right now 3 hours late leaving Reno. Good trip overall but it’s evident there’s no love for the LDT’s. Trains packed 2 sleepers and rooms sold in dorm. Coach packed as well entire way.

Only 2 diner attendants using 1/2 of diner all the way until today. Waiting lists for breakfasts and lunch. They opened up both sides of diner for lunch today after waiting list hit 40 people, then announced at 1:15 no more lunch reservations.
All poster boards and even old snack card boards are empty as I talked about after Christmas trip.
We’re in a SL 2 sleeper it’s trashed, the refurbished SL 1 sleeper next to us looks almost new in comparison, even the attendant noted 10 years after the refurb they still look great.
Checked out the coach bathrooms while I was down there, they looked like a gas stations and not from use, just old and tired. Which I thought was weird since the upstairs seating area still looks and smells great.
Crews are good, two phenomenal especially with our 14 month old. I still think LAX crews overall are the best. No WiFi not sure if the Zephyr ever did but apparently it’s been removed from the SWC and CSL. WiFi should be non negotiable on a LDT, apparently they have some connection to run credit cards so it’s possible.

Makes me think about the first time I took the Zephyr when I was 17, 25 years or so ago. Two diners and two lounges on every train (desert wind, pioneer days). Judging from this mid week trip the demand is still there if it was marketed, on time and had refreshed equipment.

Attachments

• 1021C601-56F0-4F3D-BB82-9713A6B57892.png
    1021C601-56F0-4F3D-BB82-9713A6B57892.png
    702.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 2AA0F6E5-1D83-491C-90E1-63671BA36C24.jpeg
    2AA0F6E5-1D83-491C-90E1-63671BA36C24.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 19
  • 5C906C9B-05B8-401B-BBA3-1B0FE818CDC3.jpeg
    5C906C9B-05B8-401B-BBA3-1B0FE818CDC3.jpeg
    1,010 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Your statements are accurate Im sure. Sometimes train is late sometimes its not. Well mostly a little late. The CZ diner is always crowded. Ive had mostly ok bedrooms on this train for many years. And good crews. Cant say Ive ever thought about checking the coach bathrooms but Ill take your word for it.

If it was marketed, on time and refreshed would be nice. If you have any new ideas Im open to them.

If I'm ever on your train I run an open hotspot. People use it! I'm always surprised, since I probably wouldn't trust an unknown open hotspot except in an emergency. The real problem is that reliable data service comes and goes along the long distance routes.

At least Amtrak can't cut back on the scenery out the window.

Back