GE Dash 8-32BWH (P32-WH) Rebuilds

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fan Railer

OBS Chief
I did catch today (3/18) unit 512 heading Pennsylvanian train 43 @ Tyrone, sporting a shiny new Phase V paint scheme and a very nice K5LA:

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. Are the P42s reaching end-of-life?
If the assumed service life is approximately 20-25 years, then yes.

What a great looking engine. Are they used primarily as spares? I believe that's the case for the two owned by Amtrak California.
The P32-WH are used as switchers for the Auto Train and around Chicago Union, IIRC. There are also a few Amtrak owned Dash-8s around the LA area that see some occasional service as backup units on the Surfliner / LD trains. There are a handful (512 being one) assigned to Philly's Race St Yard that regularly work the Pennsylvanian. And the two owned by AmCal are used on Capitol Corridor / San Joaquin service (though I'm not sure if they are treated as spare units since I think they see daily or near-daily service on consist rotations).

They just *reek* power, don't they?

According to Wiki, Amtrak has a total of 18 of these in service. Introduced in 1991 (goodness, that's 24 years ago!). Road numbers are 500, 503-519,

According to Wiki, Amtrak has a total of 18 of these in service. Introduced in 1991 (goodness, that's 24 years ago!). Road numbers are 500, 503-519,
These units don't see many road trains. When they do it's no more then about 350 miles. They are older then the P42's but just about the same age as P40's. 501 and 502 now belong to CalTrans as 2051 and 2052.

I have seen them on the builder, but only occasionally.

43 (14) was led by one and lost HEP at every station stop. If they're going to use them in road service, I hope they're reliable...

And only one Amfleet II too - is this normal?

A few years ago P-32 #500 was used on the Heartland Flyer to test Bio-Diesel Fuel and it never seemed to give any problems during the long run of that test; it even was placarded as running on "Green Fuel." But we never have heard the results of that test, or if they were released, they got buried away.

Other than that, I never recall seeing a P32 wandering about in my neck of the woods.

The Starlight has them all the time. They are about 2 years older than the P40s, and certainly the oldest Diesel engines Amtrak uses with any regularity in passenger service. Although the GP38s have HEP, I have not seen reports of them being used on the road for anything other than a rescue(They are much older.).

They reek of power?

Actually, no. They're gutless, and they ride terrible. At only 3200 HP, once HEP gobbles up it's 700 hp share, all you have left is about 2500 HP for propulsion. By comparison, that's slightly more than a GP38-2 used mostly by the industry in switch service. So it's most comparable to a unit that seldom does more than 10 mph, but used on road passenger trains ironically enough.

They have a hard time getting out of their own way on the mainline, and because of their 4-stroke engines and the software that runs those engines is always limiting power to keep smoke to a minimum, they're also terrible for switching. Even the 2051 & 2052 in California struggle to keep schedule with only 4 car Capitol Corridor trains. There really isn't much good to speak of about them, but for some reason, foamers love em. Go figure.

512 sports a new scheme I call 'Lipstick On A Pig.'

These have a top speed lower than most of the road locomotives, and a low acceleration, and low power, but they are also terrible for switching (slow acceleration/deceleration, and fuel hogs compared to a real switcher). They're somewhat more useful for hauling work trains. They are perhaps most useful in the oxymoronic role of "road switcher"...

When California gets its new locomotives in a couple of years, they will probably be banished from California (even the California-owned 501/502). If I were Amtrak I'd get them off of the Pennsylvanian as well, so that it could run at top speed on the Harrisburg line. They'll probably still find uses in Chicago and the East, especially given how long it's taking to replace the switcher fleet.

There really isn't much good to speak of about them, but for some reason, foamers love em. Go figure.

512 sports a new scheme I call 'Lipstick On A Pig.'
Probably because most foamers like american diesel -looking locomotives, and their the only thing Amtrak runs on the mainlines that looks like that (the hate of the new ACS-64s in the regular RR community is amazing...)

The most common nickname for Phase V paint scheme on the B32s is "Crystal Pepsi", coming from the original nickname for their "phase III" scheme was "Pepsi Can", Phase IV would be Diet Pepsi if you were wondering. That being said I only really hear people call the original "Pepsi"

Most of the B32s are in Phase V now, there may be one or two still in IV kicking around. And I think there is one with a Phase III air conditioner.

peter

To answer the original poster's question, I understand it is supposed to be a major overhaul including traction refreshment. With all of the collisions and delays, they can't afford to have the units sidelined.

43 (14) was led by one and lost HEP at every station stop. If they're going to use them in road service, I hope they're reliable...

And only one Amfleet II too - is this normal?
That is not necessarily an engine problem. Sounds like it was a loose HEP connection somewhere in the train. If it remains unaddressed, the HEP will shut off when the unit drops beneath 5mph. Once it is over 5 mph, the HEP will restore itself.

Interesting to hear about the power and HEP problems. One time riding behind one on the San Joaquin the engine wasn't able to provide any HEP power if the train was moving, only when stopped. It wouldn't have been a problem except toilets didn't work except at stops, no A/C in 100+ degree weather, and the cafe car's register didn't work. Pretty miserable 6 hours.

These have a top speed lower than most of the road locomotives
No they don't. AMT-3, 9.2.3 Eng 500-519 max speed 100 mph.

Had the 500 on the Sunset Saturday headed west second unit, 79 mph no prob.

This is the first time I've seen it as the sole power of an LD train. But, like others, I've seen it elephant style on the SWC.

I cannot imagine this locomotive being comfortable for the crew.

These have a top speed lower than most of the road locomotives
No they don't. AMT-3, 9.2.3 Eng 500-519 max speed 100 mph.

Had the 500 on the Sunset Saturday headed west second unit, 79 mph no prob.
Agreed, but the mainstays of the road diesel fleet (P32AC/DM,P40BH, and P42BH)are all good for 110mph (on paper anyway) so what he stated is correct.

These units don't see many road trains. When they do it's no more then about 350 miles. They are older then the P42's but just about the same age as P40's. 501 and 502 now belong to CalTrans as 2051 and 2052.
As Guest-In-The-Gauge mentioned, looks are deceiving. However, the units can sub and pinch hit for the ailing P42 fleet . Observe these videos:

Ex-Pepsi Can Leads Auto train

A P32 leading an F40+11 through the desert? Those were the days. I miss the variety of equipment.

While we're busy hijacking Fan Railer's thread, here is another of my favorite diesels that looked quite powerful but wasn't: The Great Pumpkin!

The way they belched smoke, they looked like they were accomplishing something even when they weren't!

Great Pumpkin.jpg

It's possible that the Penny/Palmetto Consist is setting out some Amcan II's for LD trains needing them to replace bags.
This is the second reference lately to Amfleet II's being used as baggage cars. Can this be true? I thought it is claimed that, unlike Amfleet I's, there is a shortage of II's. I certainly wouldn't want to be stuck in a I on a medium distance train because a II were being used as a baggage car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back