GE To Reenter Passenger Market

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remind me which 54 locomotives we're talking about replacing?
The oldest. Says so right there! :D

Probably safe to assume it's road engines up for replacement, not the pretty fair number of REALLY old yard switchers around.
I'm guessing "the oldest" road engines are the AEM7s ... but I'm guessing that's not what they're hoping to build, if they're looking at a max-speed of "124". I, for one, will not tolerate losing that 1 mph!

If it's safe to assume they mean "the oldest" road engine diesels ... then what are those?
The oldest road engine diesels are the P32-8s, unless you want to count the few Geeps Amtrak bought from GO that I think are still HEP equipped and capable of hauling passenger trains in revenue service- although its probably been many years since it has happened.

The P40s are in the process of being refurbed. And the P42s are still fairly new. All of them are newer then the AEM-7s- excluding the Geeps.

Rather than start a whole new thread, why not just dredge up an older, related one? From the Erie, PA, Times-News:
Why not? Maybe because we were already discussing the same story in this much newer topic. :lol: :lol:

However, the story that you found did offer a bit more details than did the one from Philly.com in the other topic.

What will be interesting as the years go by is to see if MPI can make a competitive freight model. MPI has effectively captured the current passenger market with the MP36s, and there is no threat from either builder. If they can enter the freight market with a model that sells as well as the MP36 does the days of EMD may be over...

Prime mover, electrics and trucks on MPI / Wabtec units are EMD designed and built. EMD has essentially handed their passenger business over to MPI.

Gord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back