Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My upcoming trip will require us to be on 3 different trains over 3 days: first the Zephyr, then the Capital Limited, and finally the Silver Star. We are staying in a sleeper car but plan on checking most of our luggage. My question is, what happens at each transfer? Do staff move our luggage from the train we were just on to the next train? Or do they give us our luggage and then we "re-check" everything on the next train? If they do it for us, are there ever any issues with lost luggage?

Amtrak will transfer checked baggage between trains and it will be available to you at your final destination.

I have never experienced or heard of lost luggage issues with Amtrak, although, as with anything, mistakes can happen.

Finally note that Amtrak's baggage handling methodology is entirely manual. No coded baggage tags, no automated sorting, no scanning. Baggage handlers read the tags and act appropriately. The best thing you can do is know the 3 letter station code of your destination and check the accepting agent has put on tags with the right code.

Last edited:
In April, I checked my bag in Chicago through to Atlanta. I showed my ticket, which was on the Cardinal, connecting in CVS to the Crescent. I checked the baggage ticket in Chicago, and it said ATL (Atlanta). But this being my first time checking a bag on connecting trains, and being a little paranoid about it, I walked up to the baggage car in CVS and watched them unloading the bags to be sure it was there. It wasn’t. I asked the Amtrak guy in the car to double-check to be sure my bag wasn’t still in the car. It wasn’t.

Woe is me for the next 17 hours until I arrived in Atlanta, when my bag was offloaded from my train.

Turns out, because of the non-computerized baggage handling system referred to By Zephyr 17, my bag went on the Capital Limited, which left earlier from Chicago, and was transferred to my Crescent at, probably, WAS.

As I’m fond of saying, All’s well that end’s well. But I’m wondering why Amtrak hasn’t been able to computerize its baggage handling system.

Yep, depending on your route your bag may get to your destination before you do. On a 2012 trip from Washington, DC to Houston via New Orleans, my checked baggage wasn't available when the train unloaded. The agent said, "Sorry", but I asked her to check the baggage room. Yep. It had been sent via Chicago and Longview, and arrived at the Houston station a few hours before I did.

Yeah, bags go by the most direct route unless they are specifically marked and the most direct route CHI-ATL is via WAS on the Capitol.

I done that several times, with checked luggage arriving ahead of me because I went the long way around (NYP-CHI-LAX-SEA). The difference is I expected it. Sorry it caused you anxiety. I am also a believer in not asking a question you don't want to know the answer to. Sidewalk supervising the baggage transfer did nothing for you except worry you.

They don't really carry enough checked bags to justify computerizing or automating it. It would be a solution in search of a problem. Besides, if Amtrak IT did it, you can bet lost bags would skyrocket. I'd much rather have a human look at a tag than have Amtrak IT involved.

I done that several times, with checked luggage arriving ahead of me because I went the long way around (NYP-CHI-LAX-SEA). The difference is I expected it. Sorry it caused you anxiety. I am also a believer in not asking a question you don't want to know the answer to. Sidewalk supervising the baggage transfer did nothing for you except worry you.
Thanks for your sentiments, but I wasn't really worried, just a little woeful, but I had over five hours layover in CVS and drowned my woe in oysters and sancerre at Public Fish and Oyster House, thanks to some previous recommendations on this forum. :p And, had I known what I know now about Amtrak baggage practices, I would have felt fine. Another nice outcome, dinner was still being offered on the Crescent when we departed CVS, so I was able to avail myself of further woe-defeating libation. 😄

s an afterthought, this issue is a prime example of why this Forum is such an excellent source for information about traveling on Amtrak. I have learned and continue to learn from it over the years. And it is one of the most civilized discussion forums I have encountered in terms of politeness, empathy, and consideration for the opinions of others.

My upcoming trip will require us to be on 3 different trains over 3 days: first the Zephyr, then the Capital Limited, and finally the Silver Star. We are staying in a sleeper car but plan on checking most of our luggage. My question is, what happens at each transfer? Do staff move our luggage from the train we were just on to the next train? Or do they give us our luggage and then we "re-check" everything on the next train? If they do it for us, are there ever any issues with lost luggage?
Baggage can be checked either way: all the way from the origin to the destination, or to the intermediate connection points with you rechecking the bags. It's up to you.

Sometimes we check some of the bags all the way, but some of them to the connection points because we need to repack them.

jb

I may the only one in this group to have had a problem. We checked two bags in Washington DC, bound for Austin TX. Bags didn't come off the baggage car. We figured they missed the connection. Next day, still no bags. Filed a lost bag report. Finally got a call two weeks later from Chicago. They then shipped them home via FedEx. All intact. The only thing I can imagine is that the Washington employee thought I said Boston rather than Austin. Glad to have the bags regardless.

It is gratifying to read Amtrak's manual, old school method of tracking and transporting baggage is working so well.

If I ever MUST check baggage I would do so with more confidence. But I haven't HAD to in over 150,000 Amtrak and VIA miles since 1976.

Instead, I learned early on the philosophy that Less Is More and ruthlessly trim my carry-on items to fit in a 40 or 50L backpack, the same kind I actually use for backpacking and wilderness foot travel. Sometimes, I also have a small carry-on that can be attached to the main pack with a bungee cord when actually wearing the pack. This all fits nicely in a roomette or bedroom, and overhead in coach. I even made it work in slumbercoaches of past generations -- sleeping accommodations that were a fine example itself of minimalism at its best.

The nice thing about keeping all belongings with me is that when I exit the train at a destination, I'm ready to go. No waiting for luggage, and no worrying if it will be there because I'm wearing it (which if the pack is properly fitted is easier than carrying suitcases). Lastly, I always have everything with me throughout the journey.

I have a backpack, a duffel bag, and a small suitcase. If I wanted to put tags on them would I need to check them in or do I just get tags and bring them on the train for overhead/under seat? I've seen a lot of posts on reddit that say they don't really care about the weight, and that as long as you can carry everything in at once then you're good. What's the difference between checking them in and not checking them in though? Does checked baggage go in a specific area? If so, I don't want to check in my bags. First time taking Amtrak ever so I'm excited but also overthinking a lot so I don't want to worry too much. Thank you!

I have a backpack, a duffel bag, and a small suitcase. If I wanted to put tags on them would I need to check them in or do I just get tags and bring them on the train for overhead/under seat? I've seen a lot of posts on reddit that say they don't really care about the weight, and that as long as you can carry everything in at once then you're good. What's the difference between checking them in and not checking them in though? Does checked baggage go in a specific area? If so, I don't want to check in my bags. First time taking Amtrak ever so I'm excited but also overthinking a lot so I don't want to worry too much. Thank you
You are not required to check bags. If you are in coach there will be space above your seat and some space for bags in either the lower level of a Superliner car or near the vestibule of other cars. If you are in a sleeper there is limited storage in your room.

A very large number of the trains have no checked baggage service, and on those that do many station stops don't. Keep in mind in order to be used, baggage service must be available at both ends. Normally, there is sufficient space for almost any carry on, Viewliner roomette excepted. If you mention which train and stops, I'm sure someone will be able to jump in with information for that type of car.

Even on trains with checked baggage service, not all stations offer it. Both the origin and the destination station must offer checked baggage service for items to be able to be checked.

The difference between checked and unchecked bags is you will not have access to the bags enroute for those checked. Your checked bags will go in a baggage car or the secured baggage portion of a coach/baggage that only the crew had access to.

If I wanted to put tags on them would I need to check them in or do I just get tags and bring them on the train for overhead/under seat?
You will want to put identification tags on all your bags, regardless whether they are carried on the train by you or checked.

I've been using Amazon Rewards points (and Walmart gift cards) recently to pick up luggage accessories for hubby's and my California Zephyr trip in the fall. Found good deals on compression packing cubes at both Amazon and Walmart, plus small individual toiletry bags (to replace the large folding shared toiletry bag we've used for years), and a cute overnight bag for me (to replace my old duffel bag). We'll be packing older clothes that we can discard after they're worn, so hopefully our bags will be even lighter by the time we return home.

I've been using Amazon Rewards points (and Walmart gift cards) recently to pick up luggage accessories for hubby's and my California Zephyr trip in the fall. Found good deals on compression packing cubes at both Amazon and Walmart, plus small individual toiletry bags (to replace the large folding shared toiletry bag we've used for years), and a cute overnight bag for me (to replace my old duffel bag). We'll be packing older clothes that we can discard after they're worn, so hopefully our bags will be even lighter by the time we return home.
That's the same plan I use. Taking old clothes and discarding along the way. I'll generally find that I need something that I did'nt plan on so I'm replacing as I go. When I return home carrying is new items I've purchased during the trip.

If I can keep in mind I never wear half the clothes I take my luggage is manageable. Underwear is easy to plan for, those small containers make it easy to find items and a plastic bag for used. I like to keep my clean stuff in those thin bags that come from the cleaner, keeps the wrinkles out.

Hi, I have a large bin from Costco of Walmart (not sure which) that conforms to maximum dimensions for items being checked (non-fragile, enclosed/shut, not too large). If I board in MA at Boston’s South Station, can I check the bin through to my destination? Will I also be allowed carry-on luggage.

I have found it challenging to confirm whether, these days, in July 2023, one is practically able to check luggage items -or how the process works.

Thank you for any information or relevant resources you could provide on this topic.

Much obliged for your help.

It depends on the train you will be traveling & the station you will be traveling to. Not all trains offer checked baggage & not all stations off it as a service.

None of the Boston stations offer checked baggage service at all any more.

I believe it depends entirely on your boarding and destination stations. Some have the "checked luggage" facility, some definitely not.
If you look on the Amtrak website, go to the "Ask Julie" option, it directs you to the station info you need.
According to that, if you start a reservation online, it will tell you if checked baggage facility is available for your booking.
I think your carry-on allowance is a separate entitlement from checked baggage, so is allowed also.
If you live near the Boston Station, it might be reassuring just to pop in and ask... web info is not 100% believable, I believe...;)

Well, checked baggage is still possible these days, but not to or from Boston. And not with plastic bins.

Boston South Station no longer handles checked baggage. Only the Lake Shore 448/449 and the overnight NE Regional 65/66/67 used to handle checked baggage out of Boston. The Lake Shore lost its Boston baggage car several years ago, prior to the pandemic. The overnight regional also lost its baggage car during the pandemic and it has not been restored.

Also, plastic tubs/bins of the Costco/Walmart variety are specifically classified as "unsuitable containers" by Amtrak.

https://www.amtrak.com/onboard/baggage-policy/packing-your-luggage.htmlNote the picture of the grey plastic bin.

They would not be accepted as checked baggage if it were available. You may or may not be able to get away with it carry on, that kind of container is officially against policy. However, informally the general practice is whatever you can carry by yourself on one trip you can have. If you can carry it and whatever else you have, by yourself at one time, you stand a good chance. If it were regular luggage, I'd say no problem even if it exceeded official counts or dimensions. That bin, maybe not.

Last edited:
I've often done a two train checked baggage with no problems. Emeryville-NYP and San Francisco-NYP (when they still had checked baggage from SF)

Back