Getting checked bags off after station closes?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello!

My northbound #14 Coast Starlight train is scheduled to arrive at Centralia 5:30pm Monday, and the station is scheduled to close and stop baggage services at 5:15pm. Will I be able to get checked bags off the train or do I need to carry them on instead of checking them?

Thanks...

MOST of the time, station attendants will stay when a train is delayed, especially where there is baggage service. That would be a nightmare if every time a train was late people were just SOL. You should be fine.

Thank you but that's not quite the same. In my situation the train won't make it to the station before closing time even if it is on time. The station closes at 5:15 pm and the scheduled train arrival is 5:30 pm.

It seems like this train isn't in their normal service window, in other words.

Ok. I see where the confusion is. The baggage area closes at 5:15. You're supposed to have your baggage checked in an hour before, 4:36 pm, so there are still people working to load the train and unload the train. They just stop manning the counter because that's the last train of the day.

Last edited:
Ok. I see where the confusion is. The baggage area closes at 5:15. You're supposed to have your baggage checked in an hour before, 4:36 pm, so there are still people working to load the train and unload the train. They just stop manning the counter because that's the last train of the day.
Got it! That makes much more sense than closing for the day right before the last train arrives. Thanks for clearing things up.

So as itturned out we were not allowed to check our bags, even though the Centralia station is listed as having baggage service. They just said there won't be anyone available at that time.

I think maybe the southbound train gets into Centralia in time. I wonder if we could have checked them a day in advance so they could have gone south and then came back.

Anyhow, it worked out ok. We put them in the lower luggage rack. The conductor helped us offload.

Back