Getting Ice on Train #5

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My family and I are planning a Trip on train 5 from CHI - SAC this fall. I have taken this trip several times but we now have a 4 year old and a 1 year old. We will need to obtain some Ice for a small cooler to keep my 1 year olds milk fresh. Does any one know if Ice can obtained at Denver Union Station or Grand Junction? Any other tips for traveling with kids this young on Amtrak. We are planning to get a Family Bedroom.

Thanks.

If you are in a bedroom ice should be available from your car attendent, or from the lounge or the dinner. You should have no priblem getting ice on the train. :) Dont worry about ice. Have a great trip. :p

If you are in a bedroom ice should be available from your car attendent, or from the lounge or the dinner. You should have no priblem getting ice on the train. :) Dont worry about ice. Have a great trip. :p
Ice can run out between service stops. Get it early and keep your cooler full. I assume you are talking about a small cooler though. They don't have enough to give you a large cooler full.

I assume you are talking about a small cooler though. They don't have enough to give you a large cooler full.
Very good point. They tend to only have a few bags each to begin with. While I am sure they will be happy to share, I would not blame them if they are hesitant about giving the OP all their ice if the OP expects to fill a cooler of any significant size.

Wouldn't the easiest thing be to buy milk as needed in the diner or café car?
That was my thought too. Is the 1 year old on formula? If not, it would be a whole lot easier to not have to lug a cooler along with you. Or if it's dry formula that's mixed with water, you can get bottled water on the train and just bring the mix with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last fall, my wife and I traveled round trip on the CZ. She needs ice for her small medicine pack, so I called Amtrak about 4 weeks in advance of the trip and they added a message on our tickets that the passenger needed ice to keep medicine cool. On the CZ, neither group of staff knew anything about it, said it didn't appear wherever it should have on their paperwork.

Regardless, our sleeping car attendant checked several times a day to be sure our ice supply was okay, once they knew.

Be sure to inform then immediately upon boarding about your needs.

My family and I are planning a Trip on train 5 from CHI - SAC this fall. I have taken this trip several times but we now have a 4 year old and a 1 year old. We will need to obtain some Ice for a small cooler to keep my 1 year olds milk fresh. Does any one know if Ice can obtained at Denver Union Station or Grand Junction? Any other tips for traveling with kids this young on Amtrak. We are planning to get a Family Bedroom.
Thanks.
You should not have any problem getting small amounts of ice.

You might want to pick up a few of those reusable ice packs at a sporting goods/camping store to use in your ice chest as well.

Have a great time & welcome to the board!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back