Getting off at South Station with Back Bay Ticket

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeanine

I have a ticket NYC to Back Bay. But I now realize I need to be in South Station. Can I stay on the train to South Station and what is the additional cost?

Just stay on the train. They can't throw you off the train until you get to South Station. Seriously, I doubt if anyone will notice or care. I believe the ticket price is the same for both Back Bay and South Station.

I believe you can just stay on till South Station, I doubt anybody will stop you.

Price may differ, if you ask for a change in reservation, they might cost you more, and sometimes more than most would think is reasonable. I'm not from the northeast, but I think that quite a bit of people disembark at both stations so I doubt anyone will notice.

He must have been having a very bad day. Just the type to leave the chits in place and enforce them. Perhaps he thought he was doing the world a favor by making sure you knew the difference between BBY and BOS.

If one were really worried about it you could hide in the bathroom for a few minutes until you had left BBY. But I've done that route a zillion times and never seen anyone care. In fact, I'm doing it right now. Usually the crew is much more worried about getting off the train as fast as possible.

And as mentioned, if you think Amtrak conductors care, you should see how little the Purple line conductors care.

Reminds me of when I would take Amtrak from New York to Philly-30th Street, and would jump on a SEPTA train to Suburban Station. Or vice-versa. Some SEPTA crew didn't check for tickets between the two stations (less than a mile apart), but some others did. The Amtrak ticket or stub was honored, if you had one for that date...

He must have been having a very bad day. Just the type to leave the chits in place and enforce them. Perhaps he thought he was doing the world a favor by making sure you knew the difference between BBY and BOS.

If one were really worried about it you could hide in the bathroom for a few minutes until you had left BBY. But I've done that route a zillion times and never seen anyone care. In fact, I'm doing it right now. Usually the crew is much more worried about getting off the train as fast as possible.

And as mentioned, if you think Amtrak conductors care, you should see how little the Purple line conductors care.
Since all northbound trains are “discharge only” at Back Bay, and the fares are the same, it would be most surprising if there were a problem.

My question is the opposite. We’re booked to South Station but are staying at W Brookline Street. It looks walkable from Back Bay. Is this a sensible idea? It will be broad daylight.

Don't you have to pass thru a fare gate now on SEPTA? How does that work with an Amtrak ticket or e-ticket? Will they scan those? Are the gates always attended?

You know what? Good point. I hadn't thought of that. I will find out when I go there in a few weeks. And of course I was looking at an old Pennsyvanian schedule that conveniently for Amtrak, isn't up to date.

Since all northbound trains are “discharge only” at Back Bay, and the fares are the same, it would be most surprising if there were a problem.

My question is the opposite. We’re booked to South Station but are staying at W Brookline Street. It looks walkable from Back Bay. Is this a sensible idea? It will be broad daylight.
Back Bay is a very safe area, if that is your question. Large crowds, many tourists, office workers during the day, Back Bay itself is an expensive residential area. Biggest danger is crossing the street and getting hit by a Lexus or Acura or BMW, use the crosswalks and signals

W Brookline St (not to be confused with Brookline Avenue*) is about a 7-8 minute walk (less than 1/2 mile) South of BBY, which is a more residential area. I didn't see any hotels, but several B&B's show on Google maps.
Back Bay is all fill (it used to be a bay in the 18th century), and is perfectly level. No hills. All the crosswalks have cut-out wheelchair ramps, so no problem pulling luggage with rollers.
Danger: you might encounter yuppies or hipsters!

[*]Brookline Ave is about 3 times farther west, on the other side of the MFA and the Fens, near Fenway Park (Red Sox) and the medical area (Harvard Medical School and many world-class hospitals), making it a good place to get run over if you insist.

You know what? Good point. I hadn't thought of that. I will find out when I go there in a few weeks. And of course I was looking at an old Pennsyvanian schedule that conveniently for Amtrak, isn't up to date.

I made about 5-6 business trips to Philly (from Boston) in the last decade, and never figured out how to use my Amtrak ticket to get free subway fare to downtown. (I usually took the subway to the 13th Street Station, which was closest to my hotel.) I'll be going back there again, probably in September.

How do the SEPTA tickets work? I think there were machines to buy a paper/mag-stripe ticket you then insert in the ticket gate last time I was there.

Can you use an Amtrak ticket to ride back to 30th street?

Do you need a paper ticket, or will the digital ticket on my iPhone work?

I made about 5-6 business trips to Philly (from Boston) in the last decade, and never figured out how to use my Amtrak ticket to get free subway fare to downtown. (I usually took the subway to the 13th Street Station, which was closest to my hotel.) I'll be going back there again, probably in September.

How do the SEPTA tickets work? I think there were machines to buy a paper/mag-stripe ticket you then insert in the ticket gate last time I was there.

The last time I passed through, they have actual live human beings as well as the fare gates. Presumably you can show your ticket to one of them, and they will let you pass through. I don't know exactly how it works because I have a SEPTA Senior Key Card which lets me operate the fare gates. However, when I was visiting last October, I went into Jefferson Station, and then realized that the trains were so infrequent (it was Saturday afternoon) that I might miss my train at 30th St. So I decided to use the subway. My Key Card wouldn't let me out through the faregate, but when I explained to the live human on duty, she let me out. Then I took the subway, which was also free for me, because I have the SEPTA Senior key card.

I've never seen a SEPTA conductor ask for tickets between Jefferson and 30th St. Heck, I've been on some SEPTA Regional Rail trains out in the suburbs where the conductor never checks tickets. I think now, you're supposed to scan your Key Card at a station platform, but I'm not sure how it works.

The area around the station is fine. In fact, on my last trip, I got off at Back Bay, even though I had a ticket to South Station,, because it was closer to my hotel.

However, if I were heading outbound, I'm not sure I'd like to to it. The waiting area is a bit spartan, including hard granite benches to sit on while you wait. The departure board doesn't show Amtrak trains, only the MTBA regional rail. Not sure how you're supposed to know when it's time to go on the platform. Also, you have a better chance of getting good seats if you board at South Station, the origination of all of the Amtrak trains heading south and west. On the other hand, South Station is pretty much a construction site now, so unless you have lounge access, that's pretty spartan, too. But they do have redcaps and a departure board that shows the Amtrak trains.

To be clear, though, we are talking about Regional Rail to Suburban Station or Jefferson Station. Supposedly you just show your Amtrak ticket to the conductor. ts been awhile since I've done this so I didn't know if things have changed. And, yes, in theory you can also do it to 30th Street.

This 'honoring' of tickets goes back to when all the trains were PRR at 30th Street and Suburban Station. It started because before that, the thru trains terminating in Philly all went to the old Broad Street Station, before it was torn down. And it continued into the early Amtrak era, as Amtrak Keystone line trains all went into Suburban Station via the upper level of 30th Street Station. That ended when SEPTA replaced the Reading Terminal with the extension to Market Street East (now Jefferson Station), and thru routed the SEPTA trains between the former PRR and RDG lines. Amtrak arranged for SEPTA to continue honoring Amtrak thru tickets for those wishing to go to Center City...

Back Bay is a very safe area, if that is your question. Large crowds, many tourists, office workers during the day, Back Bay itself is an expensive residential area. Biggest danger is crossing the street and getting hit by a Lexus or Acura or BMW, use the crosswalks and signals

W Brookline St (not to be confused with Brookline Avenue*) is about a 7-8 minute walk (less than 1/2 mile) South of BBY, which is a more residential area. I didn't see any hotels, but several B&B's show on Google maps.
Back Bay is all fill (it used to be a bay in the 18th century), and is perfectly level. No hills. All the crosswalks have cut-out wheelchair ramps, so no problem pulling luggage with rollers.
Danger: you might encounter yuppies or hipsters!

[*]Brookline Ave is about 3 times farther west, on the other side of the MFA and the Fens, near Fenway Park (Red Sox) and the medical area (Harvard Medical School and many world-class hospitals), making it a good place to get run over if you insist.
Thanks for the reply, John. It is indeed a B&B we’re staying in, and it looks very traditional residential. I think we’ll go for getting off at Back Bay.

Don't you have to pass thru a fare gate now on SEPTA? How does that work with an Amtrak ticket or e-ticket? Will they scan those? Are the gates always attended?

Just confirmed by SEPTA that this is still possible:

Amtrak Tickets | Both Amtrak paper tickets and e-Tickets, purchased for the same date of travel and presented for inspection, will be accepted as a fare to ride on Regional Rail trains between 30th Street Station and Jefferson Station. Customers with e-Ticket confirmations should present their personal device (iPad, laptop computer, smart phone, etc.) to the SEPTA Key Fare Ambassador at the station and the Conductor on the train for visual confirmation of the Amtrak fare.

The area around the station is fine. In fact, on my last trip, I got off at Back Bay, even though I had a ticket to South Station,, because it was closer to my hotel.

However, if I were heading outbound, I'm not sure I'd like to to it. The waiting area is a bit spartan, including hard granite benches to sit on while you wait. The departure board doesn't show Amtrak trains, only the MTBA regional rail. Not sure how you're supposed to know when it's time to go on the platform. Also, you have a better chance of getting good seats if you board at South Station, the origination of all of the Amtrak trains heading south and west. On the other hand, South Station is pretty much a construction site now, so unless you have lounge access, that's pretty spartan, too. But they do have redcaps and a departure board that shows the Amtrak trains.
Thanks. On the way back south we’ll definitely be starting from South Station, as we’ll be arriving back in Boston by rental car. I know we can take the SL1 bus from Logan to South Station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back