Getting off SW Chief in Winslow vs Flagstaff

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill Williams

We're headed towards Phoenix/Tucson by renting a car but would rather take the Chief than the SL because of the overall convenience and wanting to also stop in ABQ to visit friends.

It seems that Winslow has better times, better area to wait (Posada Hotel) when the train is late and the extra hour or so drive is no big deal. However, it has no car rental places.

Suggestions, preferences anyone for us oldies?

Note we've been to Grand Canyon many times and have visited Flagstaff so the object is to visit relatives near Phoenix and to see Tucson once again.

I think that Winslow having no car rental places would answer the question for me.

I would suggest detraining at Flagstaff, spending the night at a hotel there, picking up a rental car the next day and then heading out. This is what I did when I took the Chief to Flagstaff and then drove to Tucson the next day and it worked out fine.

Hope you have a great trip.

I've only used Flagstaff in the past because of the proximity of accommodation, car rental, etc., and remember Winslow being rather desolate and dusty. That said, Google is your friend and there is a Dollar car rental office at Hibbard Road Minnetonka, North 1001, Winslow, AZ 86047. Whether they would pick you up (like Enterprise) is another question that could only be resolved by calling them directly.

Would getting a car in Albuquerque or dropping one there and driving that leg be an option (I ask because you mention it in your initial post)?

Dollar in Winslow is 3.7 miles from station. Call.
That pace is not listed on Dollar.com, does not follow it's pricing system and has only one price for cars - $60/day. I just called them. They are too expensive for me.

I was hoping to go to Winslow to stay overnight at the Posada and see the Art Musuem because of a special painting I m interested in. However, it's not worth a drive back from Flagstaff.

Someone mentioned picking up a car in Albuquerque. I don't want to have to drive both ways or pay the big dropoff fee. Alubuquerque would be a stop in one direction only.

So, if I take the Chief, I have to pray they don't arrive in the middle of the night as it is scheduled to arrive at 9:30PM as it is vs an hour earlier in Winslow. It also departs at 6:30A vs 5:30A in Flagstaff.

Perhaps the SL will be the way to go. Thanks everyone for their thoughts.

Flagstaff has an Enterprise that will pick you up at your hotel if you overnight there. That is what we did on our trip last year. There are a couple of hotels close to the station. We stayed at the Marriot Residence Inn which was very nice.
I have stayed at the Little America motel in Flagstaff. It was a nice experience. If you have the time, the Lowe Observatory is just 5 minutes north of Flagstaff and a worthwhile visit.

Some restaurants near the Flagstaff Amtrak depot:

https://is.gd/Q730N6

Perhaps the SL will be the way to go. Thanks everyone for their thoughts.
If you choose the SL, your options would appear to be Maricopa or Tucson. I know nothing about Maricopa. As to Tucson, if you are coming from the east, you likely will have to have a night in a hotel before picking up your car the next day, unles you Uber to the airport if car rental is open later. If you are coming from the west, you arrive a bit before the downtown Enterprise opens, which isn't too bad.

For those driving to or from Flagstaff during the winter months, please be aware of snowfall and icy roads in and around Flagstaff. Many tourists don't realize that Flagstaff gets more snow, per year, than Denver, CO. When I lived in Arizona, there were a lot of car accidents on roads approaching Flagstaff during the winter. Northern Arizona climate is a lot different than the climate in Southern Arizona.

If you are willing to drive on non-interstate highways, you could just route your trip through Winslow going or coming to Tucson, and possibly even bypass the Phoenix area one way. It's very scenic driving, but understand it will take considerably longer than just a blast down I17. WInslow is only an hour drive from Flagstaff, so that doesn't seem like too much effort since your post says you have two objectives in Winslow. Enjoy your trip.

If you choose the SL, your options would appear to be Maricopa or Tucson. I know nothing about Maricopa. As to Tucson, if you are coming from the east, you likely will have to have a night in a hotel before picking up your car the next day, unles you Uber to the airport if car rental is open later. If you are coming from the west, you arrive a bit before the downtown Enterprise opens, which isn't too bad.
Cross Maricopa off your List, there's No There There!

Tucson ( Eastbound on #2/#422) is your best Bet in Southern Arizona.

That pace is not listed on Dollar.com, does not follow it's pricing system and has only one price for cars - $60/day. I just called them. They are too expensive for me.
It almost sounds like a replacement business that bought the location and converted to a private operation.

I was hoping to go to Winslow to stay overnight at the Posada and see the Art Musuem because of a special painting I m interested in. However, it's not worth a drive back from Flagstaff.
Would you consider staying there and then continuing on Amtrak as suggested by LJC?

This guest thread has been locked since it appears that the guest's initial question regarding Amtrak travel has been answered. Further discussion is beyond the scope of the Guest Forum (The posts should be limited to specific questions concerning Amtrak travel). Guests who have non-Amtrak related questions are welcome to become members with the ability to post in other forums.

Thank you for your cooperation, understanding and participation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back