Getting Ready for a Big SWC/TE Circle in Nov.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you manage to choose travel dates where each of the four legs of your trip were at low bucket?

Here's a link to the current bucket chart to check: Long Distance Train Coach & Sleeper Fares (Buckets) For two adults, just add the Coach fare followed by the > symbol. If they're all in a Roomette, I came up with a total of $2818 (no discounts) but have no idea what that would be in points.

Did you manage to choose travel dates where each of the four legs of your trip were at low bucket?

Here's a link to the current bucket chart to check: Long Distance Train Coach & Sleeper Fares (Buckets) For two adults, just add the Coach fare followed by the > symbol. If they're all in a Roomette, I came up with a total of $2818 (no discounts) but have no idea what that would be in points.
No. the TE only had 3 roomettes left, the other legs were low bucket.

I have done many circle trips and I have never payed more than low bucket for a roomette. Never have and never will. It takes some planning,but it can be done using different dates and different trains. Low bucket is high enough.

Planning complicated trips was a lot easier when AmSnag was up and running and the the trains involved ran daily. Planned a MKE-CHI-LAX-PDX-CHI-MKE joy ride a few years ago with a two week window of opportunity by filing AmSnag searches for the four possible trains involved. Then used FastStone to cut and paste the Roomette fares so the travel dates aligned in sequence to see if there were any with low buckets all the way around.

Started planning about three months ahead of time and at first there were no sequences with all low buckets. After checking AmSnag every few days, finally the Roomette on one leg dropped to low bucket and I quickly booked all five (including the MKE-CHI roundtrip) legs online as well as hotel reservations in MKE and PDX. Turned out well. Wife took off with her sisters for a cruise and ole' watashi was off for a nine day junket with nobody to yell at him but the conductor! ;)

The current lack of AmSnag and daily service would make this a real PITA.

Here's an example of a similar planning thingy using AmSnag and FastStone. Green's low bucket, orange is the next highest.
CHI-LAX-PDX-CHI Loopa.jpg
But without AmSnag, a diagram like this helps me keep track of what I'm doing after finding suitable travel dates using Arrow - which can be quite tedious:
MKE-CHI-ELP-ABQ-CHI-MKE Loopa.jpg

Does anyone know if you can board the TE early at LA so to hit the hay??
If you are in the Lounge, a Red Cap will take you on a Cart to the Platform when the Train arrives from the yard.( usually about 30 Minutes before Departure)

You will be able to board ahead of the Coach passengers who line up in the Waiting Room downstairs and walk to the Platform through the Tunnel.

Back