Getting to Kansas City from The Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sechs

Engineer
I'm considering a trip which will require me to connect from the northbound Texas Eagle (22/422) to get to KCY.

Is the better option the long wait at STL and then a Missouri River Runner train, or the bus from Springfield to Galesburg to connect with the southbound Southwest Chief(3)?

My main concern is that I will be dragging a large bag with me which I don't trust the contents for checking. Secondary, is all of the quality time that I will spend at stations, into none of which I have actually stepped.

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions!

How long of a wait at STL are we talking about?

Also, the bus Im assuming is a guaranteed connection, so you wont miss that bus, it will wait for the train. The Southwest Chief would be a bit more comfortable than the River Runner trains. Just my personal opinion there.

Ant

It looks llike you will be connecting from the 22 to the 311. That's just a two-hour wait, fine by me if you want to see the station and surrounding area. STL dosen't have the biggest of stations, though.

BTW, if you're from SJC, why are you on the TE?

I haven't run the numbers but I am guessing fare on the MORR will be a bit lower and you would get into Kansas City sooner. Of course I'd probably be after the Springfield connection as the van ride isn't that bad and you get extra train time.

I'm considering a trip which will require me to connect from the northbound Texas Eagle (22/422) to get to KCY.

Is the better option the long wait at STL and then a Missouri River Runner train, or the bus from Springfield to Galesburg to connect with the southbound Southwest Chief(3)?

My main concern is that I will be dragging a large bag with me which I don't trust the contents for checking. Secondary, is all of the quality time that I will spend at stations, into none of which I have actually stepped.

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions!
As someone who has made both trips several times, I'll give you a Lawyers answer, It Depends! :giggle: If #422 gets into STL Early or On Time, as it does Most Days, you can catch #311 to KCY (it's a Guaranteed Connection) and Spend the Day visiting in KCY! (Beautiful KCY UNion Station is worth a Look! :wub: )You can Day Check your Luggage @ the Amtrak Counter, but the Waiting Room is like a Bus Station Waiting Room, not very Big or Comfortable and the SWC Chief doesnt arrive until 10PM or so!

If you want to spend the Day in STL, there is a Lounge for First Class Passengers (Agent has to let you in) that's similar to the Magnolia Room in NOL! You can Leave your Luggage there or Day Check it for $4 a piece, buy a Pass to Ride the Commuter Rail ($5 for a Day is a Good Deal)that runs from the STL Airport clear out into the Boonies of Western Illinois! Plenty to see and do in STL including visiting the Old Union Station up the Hill from the Gateway Station, which is sort of a Semi-Mall and Food Court and Hotel! The evening River Runner #313 Leaves @ 400PM, arrives in KCY around 10PM, short wait for the SWC!!

If you take #422 to Springfield youll have Breakfast on the Train, get off in SPL,(Lunch doesnt start till after SPL) wait a Couple of Hours for the Van (not much around the Station, just some Vending Machines inside/no Day Check for Luggage) then ride a Couple of Hours through the Cornfields, Wait in the GBB Station for about 3 Hours (No Luggage Check/lots of Mom and Pop Resturants and stores Closeby)till the SWC Rolls in about 5:30PM, have Dinner on the Train and Arrive in KCY about 10PM!

Personally Id take the Morning River Runner #311 (Business Class with the 2x1 Seating is Worth the few Extra $$$) since its a Daylight Trip along the Missouri River and Kansas City is an Interesting Place to Visit! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the Texas Eagle to KCY connection in June riding in a sleeper on the Eagle. The train was on time and I managed to finagle basically a to-go final free continental breakfast from the Dining Car (I didn't have time for anything cooked). I went into the station around 7:30. I first went to the ticket counter wanting internet to quickly upload a blog post I'd been working on. They let me into the small first class lounge with nice comfortable chairs and internet via just an ethernet cable on the desk in the little lounge I had all to myself. I got what I wanted done and around 8:20 decided it was time for a quick half-hour walk before the 9am boarding call for my Missouri River Runner. I didn't know if I should leave my bag in the lounge and I walked out with it back to the ticket counter where and they held if for the half-hour free of charge while I walked around the block before I returned for my on time MRR.

I agree with those who suggest an on time Texas Eagle to St Louis and a nice ride on the MRR to KCY. The St Louis station is nice, there is a place to grab a bite to eat in the station and you avoid a bus ride :giggle:

I agree with those who suggest an on time Texas Eagle to St Louis and a nice ride on the MRR to KCY. The St Louis station is nice, there is a place to grab a bite to eat in the station and you avoid a bus ride :giggle:
Actually, it's even worse. It's a van ride. I would rather ride a bus than a van.

Actually, it's even worse. It's a van ride. I would rather ride a bus than a van.
It's really not that bad as it is Interstate all the way and when I rode in August, we only had 5 pax. The driver even took time to point out things of interest along the way.

Personally Id take the Morning River Runner #311 (Business Class with the 2x1 Seating is Worth the few Extra $$$) since its a Daylight Trip along the Missouri River and Kansas City is an Interesting Place to Visit!
Is the train busy? I'm going to have two bags with me, one of which will be close to the carry-on size limits.

Personally Id take the Morning River Runner #311 (Business Class with the 2x1 Seating is Worth the few Extra $$$) since its a Daylight Trip along the Missouri River and Kansas City is an Interesting Place to Visit!
Is the train busy? I'm going to have two bags with me, one of which will be close to the carry-on size limits.
I take this train 4-5 times a year, and I've seen it run nearly empty to nearly full, depending on the time of year, the day you're traveling, and what's happening over in Kansas City. I don't think you'll have any problems with bringing on the two bags though. The conductor will normally seat you in cars based on your destination. Business class is normally at the front of the train, half cafe car, half business class.

It's really not that bad as it is Interstate all the way and when I rode in August, we only had 5 pax. The driver even took time to point out things of interest along the way.
Oh, nice driver! I guess it's fine but I would still prefer a bus. Also, not a fan of Interstates.

BTW, if you're from SJC, why are you on the TE?
Would be coming from visiting a friend in AUS.
OK, interesting. I guess you'll be taking a big loop around the country! :)

I take this train 4-5 times a year, and I've seen it run nearly empty to nearly full, depending on the time of year, the day you're traveling, and what's happening over in Kansas City. I don't think you'll have any problems with bringing on the two bags though. The conductor will normally seat you in cars based on your destination. Business class is normally at the front of the train, half cafe car, half business class.
What type of BC car does the MRR use? Amfleet or Horizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back