Giordanos

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amamba

Engineer
I am watching a show about pizza on the travel channel, and when they mentioned Giordano's I thought about all of you folks! I can't wait to try it the next time I am out in Chicago.

I know I'm in the minority, but this thin-crust loving-pizza critic hated it! :p

I was just watching that show too, as I was reading this forum. Not train related, but travel related - I have a four hour layover in Chicago next month, and I'm trying to figure out if I can get to Giordano's and back without missing my plane.

I was just watching that show too, as I was reading this forum. Not train related, but travel related - I have a four hour layover in Chicago next month, and I'm trying to figure out if I can get to Giordano's and back without missing my plane.
Aloha

Considering security and Ohare's size I would not try it, I highly doubt there would be enough time.

From O'Hare? I supposed so, but going downtown and back out to O'Hare in 4 hours is way outside of my comfort zone. What if the lines are long at security? Here is one run down of possibilities at O'Hare. I'd recommend the Berghoff Cafe, but I've long memories of their downtown operation.

I know I'm in the minority, but this thin-crust loving-pizza critic hated it! :p
We didn't have enough time to get the deep dish pizza. I forget exactly what we had but it was a thinner crust and super delicious. I live about 2K miles from Giordano's and it is way up near the top of my list of things to do in Chicago when I go there again. Wrigley and Giordano's are the two top things I'd say.

Dan

There is a Giordanos in Elk Grove Village and one in Rosemont, both of which are close to Ohare. You might be able to get to one of those locations, or do they deliver to Ohare? That would be interesting!

I stumbled apon it (Somehow I nearly forgot to eat in Chicago). I thought it was a good, Chicago pizza. But, I'm a New Yorker so I will stick to our pizza!

Some things I noticed were:

I ordered a personal pepperoni pizza, and about 2 minutes after I ordered it it arrived farirly warm, which I should have expected since it was busy that day. Only really big problem I had with it is that I onl tasted (and really noticed) one slice of pepperoni! I'm used to a good helping of it, so I was a little dissapointed at that!

I liked Giordano's so much I paid to have two pizza's shipped to me UPS. When I'm at work, and watch all the packages going down the conveyor belt, about once a month a see a Giordano's Box and wished I could "drop in" for dinner at the house its being delivered to! :lol:

Aloha

All this talk of Pizza :rolleyes: well here is a picture from MrFSS of one we devoured in the Lounge in Chicago union Station

169.jpg

Oh so Ono!

I'm with you, Rob. That's not a pizza, it's a quiche! I couldn't face a pizza for weeks after I saw that. Next time I go out for the "Locals' best," I hope it's in NYC...

It's delicious. :)
One of the things I like about Giordano's is that they're quite consistent. I've found Lou Malnati's to be anything but. Then again, they are very different types of pizza.

I'll add my perspective:

Ex-East Coaster. Thin crust is, imho, better.

But, when in Rome...

...Giordano's is the place.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't say NY style pizza is "thin crust", well in some parts (Like Brooklyn), thats how it is thin crust. But most pizza is a little thick but not thin ot ultra doughey.

I liked the innards, but not the crust! It has the texture of a saltine cracker, and you're left with this two-inch piece of it after you eat the stuffing.

The problem I had with Giordano's was that they apparently don't do personal pizzas at dinner-time but only at lunch (unless I misread the menu). So I ordered a small stuffed pizza, and was left carrying about half of it to Union Station. There was another guy who had the exact same problem as me, and I watched as he tried to give his leftovers to a panhandler who swore up and down that she was poor and hungry until he offered her his pizza. And then she was all "We eat pizza all the time here!" and wouldn't accept it! He eventually gave it to one of those guys that will hail you a taxi.

I brought mine with me to my roomette and had a late-night snack before bed and then again in the morning. I was a little concerned about eating a sausage pizza that had sat at room temperature overnight, but I didn't have any ill effects from it.

If you like Giordano's pizza but don't care for the crust, you may want to try Pizzeria Uno/Due. They aren't really close to Union Station (they're a couple blocks west of Michigan Avenue, north of the Chicago River), but if you're in Chicago for a while, you might want to stop by.

Beware, though. If you go there during a busy (for tourists) time, you might find yourself waiting 45 minutes to an hour just for a table.

There's a Pizzeria Uno at Washington DC Union Station, and I went there once, but it just wasn't the same.

There's a Pizzeria Uno at Washington DC Union Station, and I went there once, but it just wasn't the same.
I had the same experience at DC Union. Uno Grill (the Uno franchise) isn't like Uno in Chicago. Same company, but eating stuffed pizza in Baltimore on July 4th just felt weird. And the pizza was awful. And the place smelled like fish.

All this talk of pizza is making me hungry!

I was once on an NE regional and someone got Pepe's delivered to the platform in New Haven! Now THAT is good pizza. Best I have ever had.

I've been told that the Pizzeria Uno franchise in St Louis is nothing like the original in Chicago - IMHO the St Louis joint is lousy :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back