Glenwood Springs, CO

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northwestern

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Not this year, but possibly during the summer of 2023 I am thinking of a trip to Glenwood Springs, Colorado.
I would be taking the Zephyr I would like to take the new "Rockies to the Red Rocks" excursion on the R. Mountaineer, but the Moab terminus is just too isolated. I wish you could travel, on the Mountaineer, from Denver to Glenwood, then the reverse trip another day. Also, I'm not sure the Rocky Mountaineer Denver to Moab excursion will still be around, just my guess. What lodging can you recommend? I once stayed at the Hotel Colorado, about 20 -25 years ago, but that was a disappointment The rooms were dumpy. I do think they have remodeled the hotel since then, but the rooms might be really expensive. What about the Glenwood Springs Hotel or the Hotel Denver? Are they within walking distance of the Glenwood Springs Amtrak depot? How about things to do in town. A possible visit to Doc Holiday's tomb site (although he might not be buried there. By the way, Doc didn't die in a sanitarium, but in the old Hotel Glenwood, which is no longer standing). Maybe rent a bike? Visit Iron Mountain Hot Springs? Shops and restaurants to consider?
Richard

Not this year, but possibly during the summer of 2023 I am thinking of a trip to Glenwood Springs, Colorado.
I would be taking the Zephyr I would like to take the new "Rockies to the Red Rocks" excursion on the R. Mountaineer, but the Moab terminus is just too isolated. I wish you could travel, on the Mountaineer, from Denver to Glenwood, then the reverse trip another day. Also, I'm not sure the Rocky Mountaineer Denver to Moab excursion will still be around, just my guess. What lodging can you recommend? I once stayed at the Hotel Colorado, about 20 -25 years ago, but that was a disappointment The rooms were dumpy. I do think they have remodeled the hotel since then, but the rooms might be really expensive. What about the Glenwood Springs Hotel or the Hotel Denver? Are they within walking distance of the Glenwood Springs Amtrak depot? How about things to do in town. A possible visit to Doc Holiday's tomb site (although he might not be buried there. By the way, Doc didn't die in a sanitarium, but in the old Hotel Glenwood, which is no longer standing). Maybe rent a bike? Visit Iron Mountain Hot Springs? Shops and restaurants to consider?
Richard
Disclaimer: I haven't been in Glenwood Springs since May of 2020, hopefully other AUers have up to date tips for you!

Glenwood Springs hasn't changed much since your last visit, it's still a Small,Charming Mountain Town with lots to see and do, as you know.

I've not stayed in the Hotel Colorado, but the Denver is nice for the Price and close to the Rail Station.( realize nothing will be cheap but for a Colorado Resort it's not bad).

I've also not stayed @ the Glenwood Springs Hotel but one can visit to soak in the Springs without staying there.

I'd suggest you go during the week since people from Denver flock there on Weekends for a Getaway.Use one of the many Travel Sites to check out deals on Hotels, you definitely revisit the ( alleged) grave site of Doc Holiday and rent a Bike to cruise around the Beautiful Area.

There are lots of Cafes, Brew Pubs and unique Little Stores, and with the town being so small ,you can walk around and easily check them out.

I thought their Bar-B-Q places were decent ( for not being in Texas!😄) and Colorado always has good Beer ( it's the Water!!)

Last edited:
The Hotel Colorado was a very nice heritage hotel when we last stayed. It's right next to the hot springs pool and its attached hotel. Most of the hotels are across the tracks, but easily walkable. The Denver is closest on the station side. Glenwood Springs is/was a wonderful "small town" experience for a day or two stopover on the Zephyr. There are several other threads and reviews mentioning it on AU. Most folks seemed to like it.

1) The Doc Holiday grave is a mile+ hike from the station, with some climbing.
Doc Holiday.png
2) The Roaring Fork Transportation Authority (RFTA) has great bus service covering the area. You can pop up to Aspen for lunch. (Go to the Red Onion. It is an old Colorado hang out.)
3) I have always wanted to take one of the river rafting trips down the Colorado river. There are 2 places in Glen wood Springs that and make that happen.
4) Renting a bike is an excellent idea. There are 2 very good bike trails. One goes up the Glenwood Canyon. and beyond should you feel like an adventure. My favorite is an old narrow gauge RR rails to trails, 30 mile, route up to Aspen. (I saw a bear, from a distance, last time I rode it!)

Last edited:
Back