Glenwood Springs hotels near Amtrak station?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also agree on the sleeper.
My trip from the Dearborn Mi. station to Glenwood was all coach seating. I quickly found I don’t do overnights very well in a chair. I spent the night in the cafe/lounge car. The morning run up the front range saw a packed train out of Denver filling the lounge car to point conductor was asking people to please limit their time there. Passengers were waiting in line for seats. I was toasted from lack of sleep when I hit the Hotel just short steps from the train. Return trip was in a roomette and now the only way I overnight on the train. Got my own picture window and more food than I can eat.

I took this trip last year around Memorial Day - went both ways in a roomette (connecting to/from the Wolverine in CHI). I stayed 5 nights at the Glenwood Hot Springs Resort as I wanted to spend a lot of time at the pool, though other hotels may be less expensive (you can buy a day pass for the pool if you want in that case). I definitely enjoyed the trip - can walk anywhere in the downtown area, and if you want to go further there’s very good local bus service (particularly for a rural area) that can take you further, all the way to Aspen. The train trip is also quite scenic between Denver and Glenwood Springs - though on my eastbound return trip the most memorable part was crossing the flooded Mississippi River (somehow we made it across with water surrounding the train). Would definitely recommend this trip, though depending on what time of year you go you may want to watch out for flooding on the Mississippi/Missouri River that could delay or cancel trains. Going in winter might be interesting, but you’d have to deal with the cold weather (the hot springs do stay open then, though you’d have to deal with walking outside to get to the pool). As far as restaurants, I found myself going to the Glenwood Canyon Brewpub (across the street from the Amtrak station) a few times on my trip - went to other places as well but can’t remember anything notable off the top of my head.

Back