Gluten-free meals on CONL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cirdan

Engineer
I'm planning to take a trip on the City of New Orleans with a friend who has a gluten allergy.

I understand Amtrak cannot guarantee that any of their meals are gluten-free.

If he brings his own meal, would the dining car attendants microwave it for him?

I'm planning to take a trip on the City of New Orleans with a friend who has a gluten allergy.

I understand Amtrak cannot guarantee that any of their meals are gluten-free.

If he brings his own meal, would the dining car attendants microwave it for him?
Nope, they're prohibited by law from preparing outside food and drink!
They would have to bring a "cold" or boxed type meal like you get on the Portland Section of the Empire Builder or snack type food that requires no preparation.

Not that Amtrak food is all bad, but the menu is boring. I would bring some of own cold food that is appetizing and appropriate for the diet.

How bad is the allergy? I'm allergic to wheat (not EXTREME) and I just order things without the bun/no bread and I'm fine. On the Capitol I had the fish platter,I was fine. For breakfast I eat the omelette and ask them not to give me a biscuit and I was fine. But I don't know how severe the allergy is.

I must plead my ignorance as I don't know much about gluten allergy myself, or what exactly critical quantities are.

My friend is in his 40ies and didn't discover he had this allergy until he was in his mid 30ies or so.

Does that mean it's not severe, or do these things develop over time?

All I know is that I don't know very much.

Depends on the exact nature of his problem. Gluten allergy is one thing, and it can be severe or mild. It's quite uncommon frankly.

Celiac is a lot more common, and with celiac you really have to avoid even a *tiny* amount of gluten -- there are no immediate symptoms, but it causes horrible long-term damage, so even contact contamination has to be avoided.

There's also a couple of other types of gluten sensitivity. Some people will give inaccurate descriptions of what their "problem with gluten" is, perhaps because their doctors were confusing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an allergy. It's not extremely severe and I don't have problems if it were to be made right next to something made with wheat or on the same counter. I could eat it if I took a bunch of benadryl but I choose not to because I don't want my immune system worrying about allergens rather than worrying about sickness/germs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back