GO Trains to London??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having travelled on the primary highway between Toronto and London (ON) this past weekend, it is a massive construction project that will easily last years, not months. Even on a weekend the delays were bad - I can only imagine what a weekday rush hour in either direction would look like. Extended train service can't come fast enough and will likely be a reality before the highway widening is finished.

Well, the distance between Perryville, MD and Washington is 120 km, and there's a similar distance between Martinsburg, WV and Washington, and MARC has service on both lines.
The Metro-North Port Jervis line is 140 km. The New Haven Line is 119 km.
And then there is LIRR Montauk - close to 100 miles as the crow flies between Jamaica NY and Montauk. 107 miles (172km) by road, and close to that by LIRR. Going from New York adds another 10 or so miles (16km)

Line I is the route being discussed (CN/Kitchener GO) and Line F is the parallel CP line from Toronto (Milton-Cambridge GO) also under consideration for extended service.
View attachment 23832

From the map.....it looks like a potential GO service might also be aimed at the commuter heading into London (metro pop: half million)........a reverse commute.

The Line 'G' Route on the map is similar to the long gone London & Port Stanley Electric Interurban. It connected in St Thomas with New York Central trains between Detroit and New York.

From the map.....it looks like a potential GO service might also be aimed at the commuter heading into London (metro pop: half million)........a reverse commute.

The Line 'G' Route on the map is similar to the long gone London & Port Stanley Electric Interurban. It connected in St Thomas with New York Central trains between Detroit and New York.
Agreed. I wondered if a couple of these might be potential light rail in former ROW. There's also an element of London saying "Hey, look at us Ontario... we're a big city too." without any immediate need for some of the service.

To supplement Post #14 above,

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/greaterregion/regions/southwestern-ontario.aspx
Actual schedule is TBA, but rumour has one morning frequency eastbound and one evening westbound with more added on demand (likely in 2022). GO's "tap and go" ticket collection will not be used on the route extension, rather passengers must buy e-tickets online. According to GO, here are the trip times:
  • Trips between London and Kitchener will take about two hours

• Trips between London and Toronto will take about four hours
Scheduled departure times from either end will have a lot to do with the success or failure of the project.

Actual schedule is TBA, but rumour has one morning frequency eastbound and one evening westbound with more added on demand (likely in 2022). GO's "tap and go" ticket collection will not be used on the route extension, rather passengers must buy e-tickets online. According to GO, here are the trip times:

Scheduled departure times from either end will have a lot to do with the success or failure of the project.
That's some commute, but it will make it better for those wanting to visit "Toronto the Good" that don't want to drive or fly.( as you say, depending on the times)

In 1972 there were 8 weekday trains on CN between Toronto and London. While congestion and population grew, service declined. Ontario plans to coordinate with VIA Rail's legacy service but they won't have to deal with some of VIA's problems.

From CTV News:
The pilot project will see a train leaving from London daily at 5:20 in the morning arriving at union at 9:15 a.m. and one return train leaving Toronto at 4:19 in the afternoon arriving in London at 8:17 p.m.

That's some commute, but it will make it better for those wanting to visit "Toronto the Good" that don't want to drive or fly.( as you say, depending on the times)

Your wording makes it seem like they don't have VIA as an option. The trips are generally between 2:07 and 2:25 long, and start at $37 for coach, and $75 for business (and their soft product in business is worth it).

Considering Toronto-Niagara on GOTransit is $21.15 for a cash fare, and that's for about a 2:20 minute trip on transit, I'm not sure I'd even want to think about what they would ask for London-Toronto, with it being an estimated 4 hours. $28-$30? I'd gladly spend the extra $7-$9, ride VIA, and cut my trip time in half.

Now for those who need to commute daily, the price is much better, assuming they would have a PRESTO card. $17.79/one-way, until after you complete 35 trips in a month, then it's $2.40/one-way (for trips 36-40), then free afterward.

Your wording makes it seem like they don't have VIA as an option. The trips are generally between 2:07 and 2:25 long, and start at $37 for coach, and $75 for business (and their soft product in business is worth it).

Considering Toronto-Niagara on GOTransit is $21.15 for a cash fare, and that's for about a 2:20 minute trip on transit, I'm not sure I'd even want to think about what they would ask for London-Toronto, with it being an estimated 4 hours. $28-$30? I'd gladly spend the extra $7-$9, ride VIA, and cut my trip time in half.

Now for those who need to commute daily, the price is much better, assuming they would have a PRESTO card. $17.79/one-way, until after you complete 35 trips in a month, then it's $2.40/one-way (for trips 36-40), then free afterward.
Thanks for the update Triley. I used to ride VIA between Windsor and Oakville/Toronto, but it's been several years since my last ride.

Very familiar with the GO Trains between Toronto and Niagara, didn't realize the fares had gotten pricey( even with the exchange rate), but knew Canada is like the NEC when it comes to Rail Fares.

To add the cost of VIA's Commuter Pass, for Toronto and London it's $590+tx for 20 trips, thus $29.50 per trip before and $33.33 after taxes...
20210916_163305.jpg

Some further research on this route might indicate that London is not the primary target for this route and it's about the intermediate stops - none of which had a place to park a train overnight. That makes a lot more sense for all the valid reasons pointed out in others' posts above. I wouldn't be surprised that if Stratford or St. Mary's showed potential, money would be allocated to making one of them the western terminus of this route - at least in the short term.

Metrolinx (GO) is also exploring the extension of their service on the CP Milton line to Cambridge, which could also terminate in (you guessed it) London, with much shorter trip times.

Some further research on this route might indicate that London is not the primary target for this route and it's about the intermediate stops - none of which had a place to park a train overnight. That makes a lot more sense for all the valid reasons pointed out in others' posts above. I wouldn't be surprised that if Stratford or St. Mary's showed potential, money would be allocated to making one of them the western terminus of this route - at least in the short term.
To the best of my knowledge, no such layover facilities exist in London either...

Metrolinx (GO) is also exploring the extension of their service on the CP Milton line to Cambridge, which could also terminate in (you guessed it) London, with much shorter trip times.
The two main problem of extending the Milton services are the host railroad (the Galt Sub is part of CP's Toronto-Chicago corridor and CP is similarly protective as CN is of its Halton and Dundas Subdivisions) and the lack of population centers other than Cambridge and Woodstock (note that Milton-Cambridge is 40 km and Cambridge-Woodstock-London even 90 km), which is why Metrolinx is now seeking to link Cambridge via Guelph and the Fergus Subdivision rather than Milton and the Galt Subdivision (just like they seem to bank on the Guelph Sub to reach into London):
image.jpg

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/mobile...line-could-be-routed-through-guelph-1.5423393

To the best of my knowledge, no such layover facilities exist in London either...

The two main problem of extending the Milton services are the host railroad (the Galt Sub is part of CP's Toronto-Chicago corridor and CP is similarly protective as CN is of its Halton and Dundas Subdivisions) and the lack of population centers other than Cambridge and Woodstock (note that Milton-Cambridge is 40 km and Cambridge-Woodstock-London even 90 km), which is why Metrolinx is now seeking to link Cambridge via Guelph and the Fergus Subdivision rather than Milton and the Galt Subdivision (just like they seem to bank on the Guelph Sub to reach into London):
image.jpg

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/mobile...line-could-be-routed-through-guelph-1.5423393
I don't disagree with everything you said and am well aware of the ownership and priority of the lines, with the same expectation between Cambridge and Guelph. I even have the same map. That is why I was surprised at the announcement this past week well ahead of the schedule. As you and others have pointed out, it makes almost no sense from both a cost and time perspective. What I posted was a summary of answers from people who should know what is going on.

A question for you: Is there a chance that VIA will reroute the Sarnia trains on the more direct tracks between Toronto and London in light of the GO involvement on the northern route? Just curious...

Back