Going into Pennsylvania station instead of DC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billvasili

Train Attendant
I usually transfer at Washington DC to go back to Chicago. This time I am going to NYC to catch the Lake Shore Limited back to Chicago. I have not been in Pennsylvania station in a long time, so how good are the restaurants
in the station. I am not looking to leave the station as I have been to NYC several times. Also is the Silver Meteor offering any food service at all with the new dinning plan or should I plan on either buying from the café care or bringing food on with me. I am traveling by sleeper.

Also yes, the Silver Meteor still serves food. It's on your ticket. Grab it at the dining car (technically "sleeping lounge" but it's the same thing).

Also yes, the Silver Meteor still serves food. It's on your ticket. Grab it at the dining car (technically "sleeping lounge" but it's the same thing).
If you are in Sleeper you have complementary food available in the Sleeper Lounge. If you are not in Sleeper you do not have access to the Sleeper Lounge and hence do not get whatever food is available to the Sleeper passengers in the Sleeper Lounge. You have to buy your food in the Cafe from the Cafe menu, or purchase food to bring along before you board the train.

There’s a little bit of everything both in the station and right outside. NY Pizza Supreme has been rated as one of the best NY pizza by the slice places on a lot of lists and it’s just across the street. Of course there’s like a dozen pizza places in the station itself, some better than others.

Lots of NY deli type places in the station too.

There is the Tick Tock Diner just outside the station across 8th Ave and 33rd St. where the AU Gathering (or was it OTOL? I forget) had their group Dinner. It is pretty good with a huge selection in the menu.

There is the Tick Tock Diner just outside the station across 8th Ave and 33rd St. where the AU Gathering (or was it OTOL? I forget) had their group Dinner. It is pretty good with a huge selection in the menu.
Gathering ;)

At least as a sleeper passenger, you can drop what you don't want to drag in the lounge before walking around....First meal on the Lake is dinner, if the SM is close to on time you have a few hours to kill and will probably be looking at least for a decent lunch.

I usually transfer at Washington DC to go back to Chicago. This time I am going to NYC to catch the Lake Shore Limited back to Chicago. I have not been in Pennsylvania station in a long time, so how good are the restaurants
in the station. I am not looking to leave the station as I have been to NYC several times.

Pizza Suprema is not in the station, but it's kittycorner from the Amtrak concourse and has the best pizza in NY according to one writer who ate at every single-slice place in the entire five boroughs.

Also is the Silver Meteor offering any food service at all with the new dinning plan or should I plan on either buying from the café care or bringing food on with me. I am traveling by sleeper.
They offer some really problematic prepackaged food. If you have *any* dietary restrictions *or* care about what you eat, bring your own food. If you'll eat anything, they supply food.

There’s a little bit of everything both in the station and right outside. NY Pizza Supreme has been rated as one of the best NY pizza by the slice places on a lot of lists and it’s just across the street. Of course there’s like a dozen pizza places in the station itself, some better than others.

Lots of NY deli type places in the station too.
NY Pizza Suprema really serves the classic "NY slice." I recommend the place to all of my tourist friends. It's steps from Penn Station.

NY Pizza Suprema really serves the classic "NY slice." I recommend the place to all of my tourist friends. It's steps from Penn Station.

I visit my Corporate in NYC a few times a year, it is at 5 Penn Plaza, so just a block north from NY Pizza Suprema. This is were everyone from works goes for lunch if they want a slice of pie.

I go there every time I am in NYC.

Back