Going north with a quick question about weather

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shotgun7

Service Attendant
On March 26th, I'll be taking the Silver Meteor to Washington from DFB, FL and connecting with the Capitol Limited to head on to Pittsburgh. Is there any chance at all that there'll be snow outside at any portion of the trip? How should I be dressed during my 7-8 hour layover in Washington? Aside from the weather aspect, what would all of you reccomend I do downtown DC from 8AM unitl 4? I know the majority of people who have been on a train for 22+ hours would get the hell to the closest bar to Union Station, but I'm 15 so that's sort of not really an option.

By the way, if anybody has any more pictures from any portion of the Capitol Limited route or the northern part of the Silver Service routes, I'd really appreciate seeing them. (I've only taken the Meteor up as far as Savanna and have never been on the CL). And I know I come in this forum asking a whole lot more questions than giving answers.... but I'm still learning and most everybody here knows a whole lot more than I do so to play it safe, I for the most part just stick to asking stuff.

Thanks again,

Paul

Paul,

There is a chance there will sill be some snow, but most will probably be gone by then. But then again, I live in southern RI (I know it's not that big!), and except for some snow flurries this morning, I have not had snow on the ground in over a month!

That being said, you're more likely to find snow in MD and/or PA on the CL. (But then again, it may be dark by then.)

I've never taken the CL out of WAS (yet!), so I can't help you on the sights or views on the CL. But later this year (hopefully) I'll be on it!

There is a BIG difference between the Silver Service equipment and the Capital Limited equipment. The Silver Service trains use Amfleet (single level) equipment, while the Capital Limited uses Superliner (double level) equipment! Be sure to visit the Sightseer Lounge on the CL, It is nothing like the Lounge Car on the Silver Service trains. For one thing, most of the seating is on the upper level, and there's (almost) floor to ceiling windows to enjoy the view.

Are you going coach or sleeper? If by sleeper (even on only 1 portion), you are entitled to use the Club Acela in Washington!

The only dumb question is the one you did not ask - it's the best way to learn!

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a good chance you'll run into some on the way, sure. Especially through the mountains. But I don't think you'll actually experiance any.

Thanks for the answers so far. I know what kind of equipment to expect onboard both trains after having been on the Builder last July. I was just wandering if anybody had any pictures of the views anywhere north of Savanna, preferably on the CL portion (though I know most of my trip will be at night.) Since I obviously don't have that much money to throw around, I'll be booking coach the whole way, but hopefully I'll be able to upgrade onboard the Meteor to a roomette. Right now, they're priced at around $470... which is one of the highest bucket prices I've ever seen for that train. The last time i heard of somebody trying to upgrade onboard, they got offered one for about 200 and that was going all the way to New York..... so somebody tell me if I'm wrong when I say that I'm hoping to not have to spend more than say 180 bucks extra for a room once I get on. This isn't peak season, is it? I'm just hoping there'll still be some left.

On March 26th, I'll be taking the Silver Meteor to Washington from DFB, FL and connecting with the Capitol Limited to head on to Pittsburgh. Is there any chance at all that there'll be snow outside at any portion of the trip? How should I be dressed during my 7-8 hour layover in Washington? Aside from the weather aspect, what would all of you reccomend I do downtown DC from 8AM unitl 4? I know the majority of people who have been on a train for 22+ hours would get the hell to the closest bar to Union Station, but I'm 15 so that's sort of not really an option.
By the way, if anybody has any more pictures from any portion of the Capitol Limited route or the northern part of the Silver Service routes, I'd really appreciate seeing them. (I've only taken the Meteor up as far as Savanna and have never been on the CL).
Well you can always take a ride or two on DC's METRO for starters. And then of course there are all the monuments and things like that. Although you might have some problems with those, since you'd be carrying your luggage with you.

As for pictures you can find a few in my trip report in the Trip Reports forum, entitled "Where in the US is AlanB".

And I know I come in this forum asking a whole lot more questions than giving answers.... but I'm still learning and most everybody here knows a whole lot more than I do so to play it safe, I for the most part just stick to asking stuff.
The only dumb question is the one you did not ask - it's the best way to learn!
As for asking questions, that's exactly why this forum was created, to allow people to ask questions.

So I whole heartedly agree with The_Travler, no question is too dumb if one doesn't know the answer.

Since I obviously don't have that much money to throw around, I'll be booking coach the whole way, but hopefully I'll be able to upgrade onboard the Meteor to a roomette. Right now, they're priced at around $470... which is one of the highest bucket prices I've ever seen for that train. The last time i heard of somebody trying to upgrade onboard, they got offered one for about 200 and that was going all the way to New York..... so somebody tell me if I'm wrong when I say that I'm hoping to not have to spend more than say 180 bucks extra for a room once I get on. This isn't peak season, is it? I'm just hoping there'll still be some left.
I don't have a calendar available right now, but I suspect that you are traveling either right before or right after Easter, so that will help to fill up the trains and quite possibly lock you out of an onboard upgrade.

If you do get lucky though, the low bucket price of a roomette from Orlando to DC is $179. So from DFB you should probably expect to pay a few bucks more than that, but I don't think that it should be much over $200 if it's even that much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back