Going to CO from NY via Chicago R/T in Sept 2021

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

I'm Who'sYourBuddy from NY. Born and raised and new to this site.

So, I haven't travelled by train/Amtrak in the US in decades and even then it was very brief.

But then I saw an ad on amtrak for a 30 day (coach only) rail pass for $299 and an email for a BoA World MC Statement Credit of $200, (see attached).

So earlier this week I applied for the card, was approved and then made the purchase of a US rail pass.

Now, almost 30 years ago, and for 2 years (1993-95) I use to travel regularly by overnight rail around Europe and Russia.

For this trip in September 2021, I plan on bringing along: a 20" wheel folding bicycle, collapsable electric water kettle, a few mountain house freeze dried meals, a mobile WiFI hotspot and some noise cancelling headphones.

I've been watching several youtube videos involving: amtrak, long haul and coach seating.

Let me know what you think, if you have any suggestions or questions and is there anything you would advise?

My current booked travel plan is this:
#49 Lake Shore Limited (Daily)
20h - 3:40PM NYP New York - Albany - Chicago
Lake Shore Limited Train | Amtrak
***** Croton-Harmon, NY (CRT) - CHI Chicago, IL *****

Hotel in Chicago (1 night)

#5 California Zephyr (Daily)
18h - Chicago - Omaha - Denver
California Zephyr Train | Amtrak
***** CHI Chicago, IL - DEN Denver, CO *****

Hotel in Denver (5 nights)

#6 California Zephyr (Daily)
19h - Denver - Omaha - Chicago
California Zephyr Train | Amtrak
*****, DEN - CHI Chicago, Illinois *****

Hotel in Chicago (1 night)

#48 Lake Shore Limited (Daily)
20h - Chicago - Albany - NYP New York Penn Station 6:42PM
Lake Shore Limited Train | Amtrak
***** CHI - CRT Croton-Harmon, NY 5:53PM *****
Stay well & Safe travels,

- WYB

MODERATOR NOTE: Dates were redacted for security purposes

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 11.44.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 11.44.13 PM.png
    247 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Welcome to AU. Sounds like a great trip. I am not sure about using an electric kettle in coach. Someone else may be able provide better information.

Hi,

Thanks for contacting me back.

I'm thinking a travel electric kettle can only be used in a train. It can't be used on a plane, boat or even for camping.

Already have Amtrak's folding bike policy available.
https://www.amtrak.com/bring-your-bicycle-onboard

Folding bicycles under the dimensions of 34" x 15" x 48" (860 x 380 x 1120 mm) will be allowed onboard all trains in lieu of a piece of baggage.

Only certain passenger cars can accommodate folding bicycles as carry-on baggage, otherwise they must be checked.

Only true folding bicycles (bicycles specifically designed to fold up into a compact assembly) are acceptable. Generally, these bikes have frame latches allowing the frame to be collapsed, and small wheels. Regular bikes of any size, with or without wheels, are not considered folding bikes, and may not be stored as folding bikes aboard trains.

You must fold up your folding bicycle before boarding the train. You may store the bike only in luggage storage areas at the end of the car (or, in Superliners, on the lower level). You may not store bikes in overhead racks.

Here's the bike: Portable & Folding Bikes

I am considering doing a test run trip on Amtrak to see what this will be like, however the adirondack to Montreal is what I would do as a test but it's not currently running.

I will also have 6 additional trip segments remaining to be used within a 30 day period.
I also have a road bike that I would like to bring along but understand that I would need box to pack it in on most amtrak routes.

Thanks for your feedback.

- WYB

Last edited:
If I were you, I'd want to go west of Denver on the Zephyr. You would see the best scenery Amtrak has to offer.
Ditto on that advice; the Zephyr ends just before San Fran. Scenery is indeed incredible. Then you could take the Coast Starlight to Portland, OR, and Cascades to Seattle, WA and spend some time in both exploring the biking infrastructure, take the Empire Builder back to Chicago or stop along the way. That's three more segments right there.

The Lake Shore Limited and the section of the Zephyr east of Denver aren't that scenic.

Haven't been to San Francisco since 2020 and Seattle since 2019 but that addition adds so many hours on the train in coach.

My original Amtrak plan had me going NY -> NOLA -> LA -> SF -> Denver -> Chicago -> NY but I gave up on that plan.

But I do like the suggestions. Thanks,

- WYB

Attachments

• 2020_01_24 SF.jpg
    2020_01_24 SF.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 2020_01_24.jpg
    2020_01_24.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Dining car, understood. I've never dined on a moving train so I will most likely give it a try.

That being said I typically plan for the worst and hope for the best.

My worst case scenario is that the train is packed, out of food or the dining room is closed and we're delayed by 5 hours or more.

Fun Fact: on my way from NY to Baltimore on Amtrak in 2000 I was traveling in Business when the engine broke down and the entire train was told to get off at Metropark, NJ and wait for the next train which was then REALLY packed and I ended up sitting on the floor.

But I have 25 bags of 13 different varieties Mountain house freeze dried entrees of which I'll bring 10, plan on eating 8 and keep 2 as a backup.

I plan to get water from and only from the water dispenser in the cafe car and not the water dispenser available in the seating/sleeper cars.

My understanding is that while I'm on the California Zepher, I can eat what I bring either at my seat or also in the observation car if I can get a seat.

Can you eat on an Amtrak train?
https://www.amtrak.com/personal-food-beverages-medication
You may bring your own food and beverages onboard for consumption at your seat or private Sleeping Car accommodations. However, you can only consume food and beverages purchased in Dining and Lounge Cars in those cars. Personal food and beverages are allowed in the upper level of Superliner Sightseer Lounges.

Federal health regulations prohibit Amtrak personnel from handling your food, heating it in our ovens, or storing it in our refrigerators.

- WYB

Last edited:
Haven't been to San Francisco since 2020 and Seattle since 2019 but that addition adds so many hours on the train in coach.

My original Amtrak plan had me going NY -> NOLA -> LA -> SF -> Denver -> Chicago -> NY but I gave up on that plan.

But I do like the suggestions. Thanks,

- WYB
Just trying to give you suggestions for the other segments. What are your ideas? Like the bike ride :)

Not sure, something outside of the "normal box" for the ride.

While I plan on bringing my folding bike and check baggage on board, I plan on locking them together with a bike lock but keeping the saddle and post with me at my seat (so if you are going to try to steal one you have to take both but still hard to ride the bike without the saddle...) But the only thing of value in the checked luggage is the clean underwear and food.

The Wifi hotspot is because I sometime don't like to use shared WiFi.

The portable electric kettle is for meals and tea and I'll also bring packets of honey from McDs for flavoring things like oatmeal and tea.

Fun Fact: I've never had a cup of coffee.

I'll also have a bike water bottle, a 32oz size bottle and a 16oz emptied bottle filled with either powdered ice tea, lemonade or gatorade mix.

- WYB

Last edited:
I plan to get water from and only from the water dispenser in the cafe car and not the water dispenser available in the seating/sleeper cars.
The Wifi hotspot is because I sometime don't like to use shared WiFi.

The portable electric kettle is for meals and tea and I'll also bring packets of honey from McDs for flavoring things like oatmeal and tea.

I've never seen anyone take water from the water dispenser in the Superliner lounge car. It may not even be functional these days as Amtrak would much rather sell you bottled water downstairs. As for the lounge car on the Lakeshore Ltd, I don't recall ever seeing any kind of self-service water dispenser. And in the coaches? It may or may not be functioning.

The Lakshore Ltd has onboard wifi that's pretty quick for the entire route. On the other hand, most, if not all, Superliner equipped trains out west (including the Zephyr), as well as the Capitol Ltd and possibly the City of New Orleans do NOT have public wifi on board. The reason is spotty cell phone service outside of most cities of over 2,000 people, give or take. Those smaller cities provide about 10 minutes access, if that's a station stop as well. As for setting up a wifi hotspot, I'm assuming you're either using a separate wifi device or your cell phone. Why not simply use your cell phone...preferably with unlimited data. (I buy 'data' cards for my Tracfone) And for access from a tablet, it may be more expedient to download an app on both your cell phone and tablet that lets you connect via bluetooth or USB cable. I've done it that way with my laptop computer for a number of years while onboard.

As for an electric kettle, I rather doubt that would be permitted to be used on board. Even the coffee-cup-warmer things might not be permitted, either. Since you're staying the night in CHI as well as DEN, I'd suggest making a pot of hot water in your room and first pre-heating a good, all steel vacuum bottle, then make a second pot and put that in the pre-heated bottle. I found a vacuum bottle on Amazon that was all steel except for the lid gasket, no seams. It keeps cold water cold and hot water hot for 12 hours or so without any preheating/precooling! Shameless 'plug' to Amazon I've never had such great vacuum bottles.

Hi,

So is the only way to get water onboard is buy or bring water?
These conversations are both pre-covid so things might have changed.

Travel Kettle:
https://www.amtraktrains.com/threads/will-my-travel-kettle-be-okay.68035/
https://www.amtraktrains.com/threads/hot-water-in-coach.35477/post-263884I believe officially no they will not fill up your mug. However you may get a friendly attendany who will. That being said you can get water for free on the train (little spicket near the trash) And for a couple bucks you can buy a plug-in hot water heater for your mug. Last time I took an overnight trip we took one and found it very useful for making tea, instant oatmeal, ramen, etc. - PerRock

Thanks,

- WYB

I also have a road bike that I would like to bring along but understand that I would need box to pack it in on most amtrak routes.
Since the introduction of the new baggage cars with bike racks, boxing a bike is not necessary on many LD routes. You book a bike on the same page you would book a dog. You then hand off your bike to a staff member at the baggage car and retrieve it from the baggage car at your destination.

I did this last September 2020 on the Cal Zephyr between Mount Pleasant and Denver. I noticed that the option is still available for the CZ.

Happy July to you all!,

So while in Denver in September, I'm planning on spending 5 days there visiting friends, but I doubt that I will spend every day with them.

I'll also currently have 6 remaining trips remaining on my USA pass.

I was just wondering what people's thoughts were on a day trip on the CZ from (Dep 8:05AM) Denver to (Arr 10:37AM) Granby, CO and then returning back same day (Dep 3:12PM) to Denver (Arr 6:38PM) 9 hours later? Is that a portion worth doing? Any thoughts? Would also appreciate suggestions for stuff to in Granby for about 2-3 hours. Perhaps my friends will also like to join me.

Option B is (Dep 8:05AM) DEN - SLC - DEN (Arr 6:38PM) also on the CZ but that's more likely Option Y as it's 15hrs OW (31hrs RT)...

Thanks & Safe travels,

- WYB

Happy July to you all!,

So while in Denver in September, I'm planning on spending 5 days there visiting friends, but I doubt that I will spend every day with them.

I'll also currently have 6 remaining trips remaining on my USA pass.

I was just wondering what people's thoughts were on a day trip on the CZ from (Dep 8:05AM) Denver to (Arr 10:37AM) Granby, CO and then returning back same day (Dep 3:12PM) to Denver (Arr 6:38PM) 9 hours later? Is that a portion worth doing? Any thoughts? Would also appreciate suggestions for stuff to in Granby for about 2-3 hours. Perhaps my friends will also like to join me.

Option B is (Dep 8:05AM) DEN - SLC - DEN (Arr 6:38PM) also on the CZ but that's more likely Option Y as it's 15hrs OW (31hrs RT)...

Thanks & Safe travels,

- WYB
Definitely worth doing, that's some of the best scenery Amtrak has to offer. I think Option A is better.

Looking for suggestion/options on the eastbound CZ Granby -> Denver journey.

So according to Amtrak the CZ is typically 41% on time and it's not unusual for the journey from SF to Denver to be significantly delayed.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a better option to get back from Granby to Denver?

I've looked in to renting a vehicle and the closest Avis is in East Boulder (34 miles away from Granby)

Would it be possible advisable to: drive 2 cars to Granby, park a car over night somewhere in Granby, not have it stolen or broken in to and then drive it back after the train ride from Denver to Granby?

Regards,

- WYB

The Granby Amtrak station is also served by Bustang (CDOT) but it is scheduled to go into Denver in the AM and return in the PM.

I would recommend stopping in Fraser-Winter Park instead of Granby. Their bus system serves both towns and you'll have a better cushion in case Train 5 runs late.

Denver has some well-marked bike routes and the Platte River Greenway path runs for miles. It intersects with the Light Rail D-Line in Littleton. It's a long, gentle downgrade from there.

Back